simpit from real cockpit?

maxmax

There's a cockpit from a fighter jet sitting around in our hangars where I go flying. It's all dusty, probably been there for several years. I don't know what plane it is, or if it's for sale, but I've had an idea since I saw it. If I was able to buy it, I could maby make it into a simpit.

So, my question goes out to anyone with expertise. How realistic would this project be? How big of a project, other than "huge"? Can you make the dials and meters work? I assume they would have to be taken out and changed into displays since most work using air pressure. And the buttons in the cockpit. Could they be made to interact with my pc?

How big of a deal is it to make the flight stick into a controller for the pc?

Been thinking about this for a while, and if it's doable I might ask if it's for sale. Would be a hobby for some years to come. Can be sorted under "steep learning curve".

:music_whistling:

Edited by maxmax

The first question I'd ask is what type of aircraft is it and who owns it? Do you have space to work on it and use it after it's converted?

Yes, you can make everything work. You're going to have a serious learning curve though. Most things are rewired with servos.

Depending on the type, you might be spending $2500-$25000 just to get the cockpit section. If the cockpit is gutted, forget it. It takes 3x the cash to repopulate a cockpit with missing parts than just to get one cut with the parts still in it. Do not screw with it if it's missing the seats, throttle quadrant and control stick.

I actually passed on that F-15A in the other thread. Too much was missing from it to be plausible. The only reason why it looks the way it does now is an owner of an aircraft instrumentation business now owns it. I purchased my F-84F back in 2008 because the cockpit was 95% intact -- only missing 3-4 gauges. Military aircraft cockpits are rare, you often have zero choice in what you pick. It's a case of 3-4 coming up for sale a year randomly and what is available within your price range and not totally gutted is what you get. It's such a highly specialized hobby that you'll know most of the people who collect cockpits after awhile. Fully expect to spend more time working on the cockpit than flying it.

Edited by BHawthorne

I don't know what's still intact in it. And I'll ask around tomorrow from what jet it is. It might not be for sale anyway.

But still, encouraging that it is possible. I kind of see it as a possible project, something to do in winter evenings when there's not much else to do.

Also, I'd have to convince my dad to free up some space in his garage since I don't have the space. I can't imagine my girlfriend would be all too pleased with a cockpit in our living room :)

*edit* so you're saying it's better to have analogue gauges than to put displays behind the panel?

you've got a point there.

Seems I've got stuff to learn if this is ever going to happen. Probably not an easy task making the gauges work if i did buy the cockpit, if it indeed was complete with meters and if it was for sale and my girlfriend accepted that i venture into this silly thing of which I know nothing. I should probably forget it exists and go on with my life.

Edited by maxmax

The thing with a project like that you need to enjoy building and tinkering as much as flying. For me I love that kind of stuff because I'm a manufacturing engineer by education. My curiosity has me experimenting with things all the time. Working on real cockpits is just a way to see how things work from a new perspective. If you're not a tinkerer or like to build things I'd take an easier route though and go with an established simpit design. Either way there is a ton of tinkering though. For me I look at each gauge as a project in and of themselves and my F-84F has a full panel of gauges.

I see this as a potential hobby for a few winters, assuming I'lll do it and it's for sale. As I don't have any technical education it won't be easy. And if I do decide to buy it I'll definitely get in touch with Bruydling. Seems pro.

I was going to take some pics of the cockpit today but the hangar was locked and I couldn't be bothered to get the key.

lol. Two thoughts come to mind. One: holy shit, I need to forget about this asap. Two: holy shit, that looks way to cool to be forgotten about. I get mixed messages from my brain.

Where did you find it? What kind of space do you have for it? Planning on using projectors? How will you incorporate the HUD?

@maxmax

Please have a look at this new thread - maybe this will give you some ideas - I think it comes way cheaper as a real-cockpit , and has also a working HUD:

>>>A-10C Cockpit 95% complete

And here we try to "Nail -down" how a 360° projection for a pit could be realised in a almost squared room:

>>> The Cube

How will you incorporate the HUD?

This should give you a idea how it can work:

How To :HUD Export A10C DCS-World for Real HUD

Edited by PeterP

I was going to take some pics of the cockpit today but the hangar was locked and I couldn't be bothered to get the key.

You will certainly need more dedication than this! If you are sure unsure from one minute to the next and query your ability to do it you might want to think hard. Of course people are around to help but make sure you are dedicated before you plonk down the many thousands on a frame.

Also think about it this way too. For what it would cost to buy and the large amount of space it would take up and the huge amount of time it would take before it is ready, would you rather have the enjoyment of a three screen projection setup with nice controls and some other DIY or bought cockpit? You are talking about the same money and space. Which really floats your boat?

Edited by metalnwood

lol. Two thoughts come to mind. One: holy shit, I need to forget about this asap. Two: holy shit, that looks way to cool to be forgotten about. I get mixed messages from my brain.

Where did you find it? What kind of space do you have for it? Planning on using projectors? How will you incorporate the HUD?

Barnstomers has some cool stuff on it. I purchased it from a classified ad in 2008. Yep, it gets it's own building with projectors.

Back then it was a simple gunsight -- an A-4M to be exact. Same one that was in the F-86 Sabre. Lots of gunsight footage around from that era with MiG-15 kills. The gunsight and first surface glass I have for mine are actually pulls from Sabres. Lots of common cockpit gauges and parts in the 50's era fighters and trainers. I have several reels of 16mm Sabre gunsight camera footage from the USAF.

The F-84F really isn't as sexy as the F-86 was, but they have a lot of common instruments between them. I really prefer the throttle quadrant of the F-84F over all the other 50's era fighters though. It's design is ahead of it's time.

Edited by BHawthorne