Multiplayer difficulty/challenge for realism by KIA/POW/MIA

Fri13

I have lately been flying old game from 1996 while waiting the Mi-24P module from ED. And it has these typical interesting pilot status limits:

Each log will display information that is unique to each pilot’s name:

Status

• Active - normal status for pilot.
  • Injured - if you survive a crash in allied territory you may be declared injured for 24 hours.
  • Missing - if you survive a crash in enemy territory you will be declared missing for 48 hours.
  • POW - prisoner of war - if you choose to quit the mission after landing in enemy territory there is a chance that you will be captured. You will be released after 96 hours.
  • KIA - killed in action - if you do not survive a crash or get shot down on a combat mission.
  • KIT - killed in training - if you do not survive a crash on a training mission.

Note: time elapsed is taken from your system clock i.e. real hours.

Total time - total number of hours airborne on all types of mission.

Combat time - total number of hours airborne on combat missions.

Total missions - total number of missions flown, all types.

Outstanding missions - total number of missions on which you have achieved

outstanding performance.

Take that same thing for the DCS multiplayer servers. As we have now the ED account unique ID / module key, we should be able to identify the player per server.

Let the ID be allowed to register a virtual pilot on the server, maybe from 1 to 5. So one module can have ie max 5 virtual pilots that can be flied.

Each pilot has a permanent roster, history etc. And once the pilot dies, he is gone.

If the pilot is captured, it has the similar timers, like those 96 hours after the crashing.

And the timer follows the server own system clock, so real hours, regardless the mission time or reseting mission etc.

The ID can register a new virtual pilot immediately, but you need to have open slots for it (so max 1-5 based server settings) and it takes X hours between deletion of the virtual pilot and creating new one. Like example 8 hours between deleting a dead pilot and then creating a new one.

And if the pilot is MIA/POW/Injured etc, so a live, you can't delete the virtual pilot until the timer has gone.

So example for bad pilots, they would register all 5 virtual pilots. They would fly them, die and finally on the same day die with the fifth time. They can't fly anymore on that server because they need to wait 8 hours between deleting the dead virtual pilots and creating a new one.

If they eject above enemy territory, they need to wait until Search & Rescue helicopter picks it up and returns to nearest FOB/Base, from where X hours to get it transported to the airfield where mission started if SAR brought it to elsewhere than starting airfield.

If the virtual pilot is captured, injured etc, they need to wait the penalty hours, and then they can delete it and then wait the 8 hours to create a new one.

The idea is that you do not want to eject over enemy territory.

You do not want to eject above areas that are difficult to search for, like middle of the deep forest, because the SAR helicopter pilots needs to be able find you and pick you up!

And if you are not picked by SAR in X time after landing, your MIA timer starts from there.

This allows ID to jump to lobby and start flying with a another registered virtual pilot if they happened to fail to return to base. But they have penalty for doing so too many times, and some hard core servers can have it limited to one virtual pilot, meaning you REALLY need to understand that there is 8 hour penalty if you die, until you can fly again on that server.

This would change radically the air combat, no stupid risks, no stupid soloing, no stupid behavior on the airstrip etc. Your reaction and change to eject is key to survive and be able fly again.

Meaning, if someone crashes on you but you manage to eject on the airfield, you get soon back to new aircraft, but you still need to swap virtual pilot. If you crash and burn.... It is death.

So you do not want to act foolishness on airfields in landings and take-offs etc.

And this would generate a lot of SAR missions for helicopter pilots (UH-1H and Mi-8MTv2) to fly, as soon as you eject and hit surface, the emergency beacon starts transmitting on the common frequency. And it is these helicopter pilots that can then fly and pick your virtual pilot.

And sooner the SAR pilots can return your virtual pilot back to base, sooner you can fly it again.

´

So if you down someone who manages to eject, you can come back to that area later to try find the SAR helicopter, to take it down as well while they are searching and rescuing the ejected pilot.

In Combined Arms module you can order some ground units yourself on the area to capture the ejected pilot, like send in a transport helicopter with infantry squad, and you would need to get about 500m distance from the ejected virtual pilot to capture it by ground forces.

With Huey and Hip you can just land 50 meters from the pilot to capture it, as you have the door gunners etc with you.

This as well means that it can be a race between SAR and other helicopter pilots to where they try to save ejected pilots, or capture them.

The SAR side has the clock as if the pilot is not found in X time, it is MIA automatically.

This would allow helicopter pilots to be a one key element to win the war as they can be there capturing the virtual pilots and this way limit how many there can be flying overall. So while they are not there to down the fighters etc, they can be there capturing pilots and change the balance quickly.

For a more realistic server settings, it could be made so that there can be only one pilot per ID per airbase. So if there is max allowance of 5 virtual pilots per ID, then that ID has all those virtual pilots on five different airbase. And only way to get one virtual pilot to another airbase is to perform a transfer flight.

So if the ID virtual pilot in Sukhumi dies (not MIA/POW etc) then the next virtual pilot the ID chooses, can't start to fly from Sukhumi, but needs to start from the airbase they are located, until that virtual pilot is deleted. Then the ID can transfer existing virtual pilot to Sukhumi by flying it from another airbase to Sukhumi.

This would require pilots as well to know more about navigation and all other procedures to get it done. And they would need to perform these transfer flights between the missions if the mission requires the virtual pilots starts from the specific airport and ends on another, so you are going to fly a lot transfers as combat missions.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

So basically you enforce a "penalty" to unsuspecting pilots that crash during taxi or fly into a tree enroute to the mission area and think it will make servers "more popular"?

May be this can be an option for "Iron Man" mode?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I dunno, I kinda like it. There is a whole lotta stupid and unrealistic stuff that goes on online, but having something like this a server option could be fun/interesting/realistic. Having the ability to have a few pilots "in the stable" would keep it "fun" as you wouldn't only have one life. But there would be an incentive to keep them alive unlike now, where half the time people just do suicide runs or eject/respawn after they run out of ammo and can't be bothered to land.

I've seen on the fraternity sim they have sort of code that generates a SAR mission when a pilot ejects. That is either flyable by a player helo, or an AI one if I understand it right.

On the time scales "death" should obviously be longest respawn time. Followed by Captured, MIA, and Rescued. So like 8h/4h/3h/15min or something like that.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I've never seen harsh penalties deter people from acting like morons.

I've never seen the absence of penalties deter people from cowardice, ganking, even cheating.

I HAVE seen harsh penalties deter people from playing at all.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The idea is not bad.

In an online manner, being able to distinguish between a professional driver and a simple pilot who is not a pilot. there are a lot of people online who don't know how to fly, there are many people online who don't follow the general rules of flight.

People who take off from the TAXY people who do not respect the safe distance between an airplane and the other people who commit suicide like the KAMIKAZE there are people who occupy the runway without any reason there are people who do not ask no one allowed to the control tower. There are these NON RULES that online annoy because people behave badly. RULES on the other hand would redefine the most selected online game with real pilots who are part of a pilot and not a pilot who seems to be playing a VIDEO GAME ARCADE and that it loses $ 1000000000000 of military aircraft plus its life itself in such a fast and easy way.

A lot of good ideas in the OP . But all i can think of is taxiing and some idiot comes flying out of a shelter at full afterburner , or some orifice strafing friendlies on takeoff . Lots of good ideas are fouled by human behavior .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I dunno, I kinda like it. There is a whole lotta stupid and unrealistic stuff that goes on online, but having something like this a server option could be fun/interesting/realistic.

. . .

On the time scales "death" should obviously be longest respawn time. Followed by Captured, MIA, and Rescued. So like 8h/4h/3h/15min or something like that.

Agreed, coming from mods like "Project Reality" and "Squad" or others based on ARMA - penalties for losing aircraft, vehicles, or skilled personnel forced - absolutely required - coordinated online play. Seriously enhancing immersion. I don't think we need some of the duration the OP posted, but making a A-10C unavailable for 10 mins can seriously wreck your plans if someone just throws it away because they didn't use it tactically.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

There is a online dynamic campaign called deadbeefs layer, you have 4 lives per 5 hours, if you eject csar mission is available and choppers can pick you up, bring you back to base, get rewarded for that and you get that life back. You can also capture enemy pilots.

DDCS was also on something good with its Hardcore version of dynamic campaign but somehow people abandoned it.

I still think there is more than enough people willing to fly closer to realism and i hope your idea travels to the right ears.

+1

in a real war the basis for limited numbers of airplane, helicopter tankers etc

in a real war if you destroy an airplane you have lost $ 1000000000000 fi and if you have another you must be.

in a real war if you destroy a power plant no more energy arrives at the base if you destroy the fuel depot there is no more refueling at the base.

in a real war if you destroy a bridge that connects the road to the base you have broken a communication route.

if the base no longer has $ money plus fuel plus water, food and weapons the base is COMPLETELY INSULATED by DEATH.

in a real war the basis for limited numbers of airplane, helicopter tankers etc

in a real war if you destroy an airplane you have lost $ 1000000000000 fi and if you have another you must be.

in a real war if you destroy a power plant no more energy arrives at the base if you destroy the fuel depot there is no more refueling at the base.

in a real war if you destroy a bridge that connects the road to the base you have broken a communication route.

if the base no longer has $ money plus fuel plus water, food and weapons the base is COMPLETELY INSULATED by DEATH.

In a real war you die - end of story. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

This is a stupid approach. If you want more realistic mission/behaviour you need to fly in organized events with like minded people. It will never work on a public server. Never. It has been tried in a bunch of games. It never works. A private or inscription only event, you can take it as hardcore as you wish

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

This is a stupid approach. If you want more realistic mission/behaviour you need to fly in organized events with like minded people. It will never work on a public server. Never. It has been tried in a bunch of games. It never works. A private or inscription only event, you can take it as hardcore as you wish

Why is it stupid? Just like any other Air Quake server, if it is not to your liking, then don't join??

OP is just making a suggestion, and like any server, the end user can decide if they like the settings or not.

Obviously a server running such demanding restrictions would only appeal to those of that mind. So Air Quake run and guns can stick to their environment, and for those that like restrictions on assets, to try and render a more disciplined environment can work together on such a server. No need to call it "stupid", you can just avoid it if it doesn't appeal to you.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

That's what I say, it is pointless to run that kind of stuff in a public server.

And if you have a private event nothing prevents you to implement these arbitrary rules trough moderation or other means.

It is pointless to ask ED to implement such things when they can be created by the community in events. Just a waste of ressources

Do you really think that the same people that are just browsing the server list in MP are the same people wanting super hardcore realistic dcs missions ? No.

Those are two different kind of people :

1) the one casualy looking for an online server, that want a challenging environment, bit without too much constraints (e.g. blueflag meets the criteria for most of those people)

2) people looking for milsim level realism. Those people are in squadrons and virtual wings.

It doesn't mean a single person cannot change from category 1 to 2 depending on mood. But those are Very different things.

OP suggestions is trying to implement restrictions fitting to category 2. In category 1.it won't work

STIMULATING ENVIRONMENT? hahahaha no VIDEOGIOCO ARCADE GAME?

people taking an f-18 that costs $ 58,000,000 US DOLARS as if you were a radio-controlled toy crashing on the runway killing other pilots with f-18 does NOT EXIST A MARTIAL COURT THERE IS NO RULE.

STIMULATING ENVIRONMENT MEANS that everyone does what he wants without limits.

There is a online dynamic campaign called deadbeefs layer, you have 4 lives per 5 hours, if you eject csar mission is available and choppers can pick you up, bring you back to base, get rewarded for that and you get that life back. You can also capture enemy pilots.

DDCS was also on something good with its Hardcore version of dynamic campaign but somehow people abandoned it.

I still think there is more than enough people willing to fly closer to realism and i hope your idea travels to the right ears.

+1

DDCS's hardcore server is the only one up now, and it's really populated now. The standard/easy one was dropped.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

This is a very good idea. I would like to see it implemented.

It can always be an option to check, so the scrubs and casuals can always enjoy themselves.

It would definitely be a game changer for people who decide to run it, it will be superb, finally what we've waited for. It would be a step towards a dynamic campaign.

It will give meaning and a great feeling of success when done properly.

A mark of a great sim is that it can allow you to complete your mission the way you want to, i.e game mode, casual mode or this. So yeah, no need for the negativity (kinda shows what the community is made of... I'll let you figure that one out)

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

DDCS server has a little of this now.

You get points per hour/ cost per load out when taking off. Get them back when you land. Loose enough points and you have to wait for points. Or do some ground unit slinging to burn time etc. It's not to that level, but even DDCS turns away the quake guy's. Good in away I guess.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This concept is nothing fundamentally different from what you can do on any server that decides to script it, except, it adds the constraint that it's global and cannot be avoided.

I find telling players they can't fly a topic that doesn't end well.

I fully love the concept, it's not original, CSAR script and slot blocking has been around since 2015 and DCSW 1.5

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Why is it stupid? Just like any other Air Quake server, if it is not to your liking, then don't join??

OP is just making a suggestion, and like any server, the end user can decide if they like the settings or not.

Obviously a server running such demanding restrictions would only appeal to those of that mind. So Air Quake run and guns can stick to their environment, and for those that like restrictions on assets, to try and render a more disciplined environment can work together on such a server. No need to call it "stupid", you can just avoid it if it doesn't appeal to you.

What he is pointing out is, what I meant in my first post. People that want a quick fun flight against human players are attracted by public servers, so whatever you do to "enforce" realism, they will find a way to mess it up. Not even necessarily with bad intentions, they just will.

It is a matter of the mindset, not the settings.

So if you want realistic flying find like-minded folks and host the game for them. You will usually never need any forced settings in such a group as everyone will stick to realism for his own benefit and experience.

The only thing you may achieve on public servers by annoying the semi real people flying there is to scare them away when for the 5th time they get punished for something not their fault... Air-Quakers will simply switch to War Thunder etc. if they can't find a server that day.

Shagrat

I would like to have that option, not for the big public servers, but for our squadron's missions. It can be done by scripts but the slot-blocking part is hard to get to work and it would be great to have it included in the base game, it would already be a game changer to have real csar operations ingame, to give the chopper pilots a real task.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

What he is pointing out is, what I meant in my first post. People that want a quick fun flight against human players are attracted by public servers, so whatever you do to "enforce" realism, they will find a way to mess it up. Not even necessarily with bad intentions, they just will.

It is a matter of the mindset, not the settings.

So if you want realistic flying find like-minded folks and host the game for them. You will usually never need any forced settings in such a group as everyone will stick to realism for his own benefit and experience.

The only thing you may achieve on public servers by annoying the semi real people flying there is to scare them away when for the 5th time they get punished for something not their fault... Air-Quakers will simply switch to War Thunder etc. if they can't find a server that day.

Exactly ! This is the point I was trying to make above

it would be nice in multiplayer on the list of choice of role and planes, click on the name of the pilot who made the choice and I see on the list and see details on the pilot.

Pilot name of what nationality is what kind of experience he has and degree of career and specialization.