3D pilot models - black and females

nickos86

Hi, looking at the great models of the carrier crew - It would be nice if you could create 3D models of a female pilot and a black male/female pilot. Sure it would fit a valuable part of your users who would like to see "them self" sitting in the cockpit :)

The thing is, for most modern aircraft in DCS there are next to no discernible features of the pilots themselves, also for most people that I've seen in DCS have their pilot bodies are turned off in the cockpit (though mileage may vary) and the amount of situations where you would clearly be able to see identifiable features are I imagine incredibly small, if not non-existent. I mean people complain about not being able to spot whole aircraft, let alone a pilot, or their specific skin tone.

In fact in most cases, you only get to find out your pilots skin tone or whatever by deliberately looking for it, usually by messing about with the F11 camera (not something that is easily achievable while flying), as most pilots are fully kitted out, with a visor, mask and helmet covering their faces entirely.

The point I'm making is that this change could come but I bet nobody would even notice, unless they were purposefully looking for this. Plus AFAIK the red tails P-51D features an accurate black pilot, the current Stinger unit is also black.

In my mind it's almost a wasted effort, because I can't see it being noticed for the vast majority of DCS pilots, unless they're explicitly looking for this very thing. And in the face of incredibly outdated models and textures, ranging from aircraft, ground vehicles, ships, weapons and static objects - all begging for a facelift.

Now it's a very different story for things like ground/deck crews, as well as infantry as you can and probably will be able to discern facial features, skin tones etc, so adding a more diverse crowd makes more sense and it won't go unnoticed and be a wasted effort. But ED are doing and actually have done to a degree exactly this.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

For uniformed pilots where you don't even see skin? Take your virtue signalling and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I've never met anyone more racist and sexist than the social justice warriors being offended on other people's behalf and using "progress" as an excuse to masturbate their own egos by trying to alter other people's experiences and entertainment.

Jackasses like you mean that every time there is a minority or female in a video game, they will always be perceived as diversity tokens. I WANT to hear more voices over the radios, but idiots like you keep insisting on souring it.

more than anything else are the flight suits that need to be implemented as well as helmets. There is a difference between a flight suit from the 60s and the 70s to a one today.

there is a difference in helmets a mig 21 pilot.

BLACK PILOT

yonas_two.jpg

African_pilot06.jpg

C1PwLrMXUAAbWgi.jpg

6012969_405796274103499311396787656989n_jpegaff84d2e5ebd1930c6adfabca29ac3d5

Hi, looking at the great models of the carrier crew - It would be nice if you could create 3D models of a female pilot and a black male/female pilot. Sure it would fit a valuable part of your users who would like to see "them self" sitting in the cockpit :)

:doh::doh::doh: One of the most urgent problems in DCS...

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

It's just a texture. As mentioned above the Red Tails has a black guy ) Although that's an older style fligtsuit obviously. Those modern bugeye helmets, you can't really see what's under them.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, but I think the pilot, at least while seated, is part of the aircraft skin and can modified there.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

There's not much to see on a modern pilot's model that would identify the pilot as a woman, but at least their should be an option to have the pilot's voice be a woman's.

WWII might be a different argument.

For uniformed pilots where you don't even see skin? Take your virtue signalling and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I've never met anyone more racist and sexist than the social justice warriors being offended on other people's behalf and using "progress" as an excuse to masturbate their own egos by trying to alter other people's experiences and entertainment.

Jackasses like you mean that every time there is a minority or female in a video game, they will always be perceived as diversity tokens. I WANT to hear more voices over the radios, but idiots like you keep insisting on souring it.

Ahhh - the anger of the privileged when they see their privilege slipping away :)

Maybe you see it as virtue signalling if you're white and male & worried the world is changing.

It's just asking to be visible in the world if you're a woman or not white - for the game to reflect the real world, not a regressive fantasy world where women and non-whites know their places (out of sight).

Despite how you might like to imagine it, in the real world all pilots are not all male, middle aged and white, & that was the case even in WWII.

There's nothing sexist or racist about suggesting some of the other people in the world be represented. Being upset that they might be on the other hand...

What's more, the idea that you are trying to do women and minorities a favour by excluding them from representation because you're saving them from the slight of being considered 'token' ?

Both laughable and generally insulting.

It starts from the ridiculous position that there aren't enough "worthy" women and minorities in the air in the real world to bother representing them because of their existence (which shows something about how you see the world), and then insults the intelligence of every reader by suggesting we might buy it as an argument.

• Like 2

Cheers.

It's just a texture. As mentioned above the Red Tails has a black guy ) Although that's an older style fligtsuit obviously. Those modern bugeye helmets, you can't really see what's under them.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, but I think the pilot, at least while seated, is part of the aircraft skin and can modified there.

That's a fairly simple change, and I think E.D. could do it in a blink (though my own prejudice is that Russia tends to look at these issues through the same lens the West used in the 50's).

I think the real issue is the voices/ No point in a female / non white model that can only be seen from the outside if every time you use the comms menu the voice is still the stock files.

There are a lot of pilot voice files, and I think they're all voiced by voice actors not E.D. staff.

Creating those is probably a reasonable sized job.

• Like 1

Cheers.

There are some female and colored pilots out there so why not? I don't see that as SJW virtue signalling but just as adopting to real life. Voices might indeed be a problem but considering that the voice acting isn't that great anyway it could be done by community members with good microphones.

There are some female and colored pilots out there so why not? I don't see that as SJW virtue signalling but just as adopting to real life. Voices might indeed be a problem but considering that the voice acting isn't that great anyway it could be done by community members with good microphones.

Because a lot of pilots in DCS are nearly fully covered up, and unless your purposefully going out to identify the race and sex of your pilot, it's barely noticeable. If you make said changes, I reckon it would go unnoticed unless it was explicitly mentioned, as barely anyone (I mean by all means prove me wrong) in DCS can clearly make out the sex and skin colour of either themselves or other aircraft (I mean some people have problems just finding and making out other aircraft, let alone the race and sex of the pilot flying it).

Also, in some cases how would you change the pilot model to accommodate said changes, okay for changing the skin tone is fairly simple, but what are you going to do for female pilots?

What would change to make this female? BLUR-38.jpeg

Besides when we have models like the MiG-23MLD, -25PD, -25RBT and -27, the Tu-95MS and -142. Or the S-3, SH-60B or CH-53E. Or even the majority of ground vehicles that could do with some love, not to mention the M60A3, SA-6 or S-300

And what about ships? Okay were getting a new Nimitz, Arleigh Burke and a Kuznetsov at some point, but even the current Oliver Hazard Perry and Ticonderoga are starting to show their age and now aren't really up to the same standard as newer vessels.

Now for infantry units, ground and deck crews, their faces are clearly visible and you will be able to notice them, so there diversity makes sense it firstly lessens the 'attack of the clones' sensation that's way more noticeable in infantry and similar units, and the change will actually be noticeable. But then, ED does that sort of thing already... the Stinger MANPAD unit is black, there's plenty of screenshots of the new deck crew featuring black crewmembers so I'm not really seeing the issue, apart from do it for females too...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Because a lot of pilots in DCS are nearly fully covered up, and unless your purposefully going out to identify the race and sex of your pilot, it's barely noticeable. If you make said changes, I reckon it would go unnoticed unless it was explicitly mentioned, as barely anyone (I mean by all means prove me wrong) in DCS can clearly make out the sex and skin colour of either themselves or other aircraft (I mean some people have problems just finding and making out other aircraft, let alone the race and sex of the pilot flying it).

Also, in some cases how would you change the pilot model to accommodate said changes, okay for changing the skin tone is fairly simple, but what are you going to do for female pilots?

Besides when we have models like the MiG-23MLD, -25PD, -25RBT and -27, the Tu-95MS and -142. Or the S-3, SH-60B or CH-53E. Or even the majority of ground vehicles that could do with some love, not to mention the M60A3, SA-6 or S-300

And what about ships? Okay were getting a new Nimitz, Arleigh Burke and a Kuznetsov at some point, but even the current Oliver Hazard Perry and Ticonderoga are starting to show their age and now aren't really up to the same standard as newer vessels.

Now for infantry units, ground and deck crews, their faces are clearly visible and you will be able to notice them, so there diversity makes sense it firstly lessens the 'attack of the clones' sensation that's way more noticeable in infantry and similar units, and the change will actually be noticeable. But then, ED does that sort of thing already... the Stinger MANPAD unit is black, there's plenty of screenshots of the new deck crew featuring black crewmembers so I'm not really seeing the issue, apart from do it for females too...

LONG HAIR AND BIG BREASTH

• Thanks 1

Have you never looked at your or a fellow player's aircraft using the F2 camera? You know there are servers that allow that and people tend to do that in single player too. There you can see the color of the skin. BTW chopper pilots aren't fully covered as they don't wear face masks.

Also, in some cases how would you change the pilot model to accommodate said changes, okay for changing the skin tone is fairly simple

Exactly, it's a tiny change and doesn't take many resources.

What would change to make this female?
Not much in that case and that's why it should be fairly easy to do. But then again, chopper pilots... and then there is the voice...

Indeed. And your point is? That AI units should get a priority treatment over player units?

I thought we're talking about non white / non male players who find it unimmersive to see themselves as a white male pilot inside their aircraft? I don't think that colored or female ground units are going to address this. We're not talking a forced diversity quota here but to give non white/ non male players a somewhat representing body model. You guys act as if people asked for a full price module that will take years to develop and will divert resources from other modules for years to come....:confused:

NEEDS BOOBIES who does not like a set of boobies massive boobs :smilewink:

LONG HAIR AND BIG BREASTH

That's wrong ▲

All the female pilot wear short or tied/bun hair under their helmet. Long hair can cause many problems near pipes/cables/wires. (especially when inverted).

:D So only a bigger/bulging chest needed for a female pilot 3D model (if she has a helmet)

sign-pic4.jpg

Have you never looked at your or a fellow player's aircraft using the F2 camera? You know there are servers that allow that and people tend to do that in single player too. There you can see the color of the skin. BTW chopper pilots aren't fully covered as they don't wear face masks.

Yep, if I'm flying would I be using the F2 camera? And would I notice the difference if they were changed? Probably no, graphically, it's probably at the bottom. I mean quick google searches of military aircraft taken from outside and in DCS and in only a handful can I see the pilot and in enough clarity to be able to tell the difference. At best I can make out their necks and that's when I'm explicitly looking at the pilot, again I have to be explicitly looking for this to notice.And if I'm looking at other aircraft, I'm probably not flying mine... You're describing the most niche thing I can think of in DCS... BTW try the Red Tails P-51D skin, it's one but it's start.

Exactly, it's a tiny change and doesn't take many resources.

But if it's something that probably won't be noticed, and in the face of other pressing issues, what's the point? I mean this is the whole trains thing, here we have an asset, yes it's more immersive and somewhat improves DCS, buuuut there's a lot more pressing issues to solve or upgrade the old.

Not much in that case and that's why it should be fairly easy to do. But then again, chopper pilots... and then there is the voice...
Radio communication is being worked on where changes make a lot more sense, that I'm fine ATC is currently not very immersive and leaves a lot to be worked on. And again, I have to ask myself why I'm looking at pilot bodies, and not that MiG-29 I'm trying to down... Okay I get it, you're not always doing that in DCS, believe me I hardly do any sort of combat at all, but I would imagine I'm running out of ideas when I'm using a flight simulator, to just look at pilots.

Indeed. And your point is? That AI units should get a priority treatment over player units?
Yes... Yes I do, I think a model 10+ years out of date takes more precedence over changing the colour of my simulated neck, or making my face look different, when my pilot body is off...

I thought we're talking about non white / non male players who find it unimmersive to see themselves as a white male pilot inside their aircraft? I don't think that colored or female ground units are going to address this. We're not talking a forced diversity quota here but to give non white/ non male players a somewhat representing body model. You guys act as if people asked for a full price module that will take years to develop and will divert resources from other modules for years to come....:confused:

If your virtual pilot's neck or face not being like yours (there's none like mine either, or that sound like me for that matter) to be the thing that breaks the immersion for you, and not the weather, or the ATC, or the lack of ground crew, or comprehensive assets or y'know bugs or modules that seem to be perpetually WIP (we don't need this discussion again) then I think we need a chat about priorities...

As for 'us' pretending it's this huge task, you sure as hell straw manned the hell out of that one... The point is it's work being done when it is desperately needed elsewhere, the same thing when better control for trains was implemented, I mean models from FC2? 16 years old? This has been stuff that people have been talking about in droves for years, like why do we have an S-300 and an SA-6 and an M60A3 and an S-3 and an SH-60B and a Tu-95 and a MiG-23 and a Mig-25... I can go on for days, but these are all fairly important assets and all looking like they're from a game 20 years old, the sorta stuff I'd expect to see in the original HL1... in a sim upgraded to modern standards with modern graphics and modern graphics engine? I mean we have in comparison the Tu-22M3, the Su-24s, the new Su-34, the E-2D, the Roland, the TPZ Fuchs, all AI units (well apart from the last 2, to those with CA) Yes, yes I do think they take priority over fixing something that isn't really broken, yes I do think that takes priority over changing something that I almost certainly won't notice, yes I do think that changing a feature that seems as though not many of us even turn on is less of a priority than these outdated models.

I mean look around on YouTube or screenshots, how many even have their pilot bodies turned on? As for representation I haven't seen a pilot body who even looks remotely like me, let alone sounds like me. But then I came to DCS so I can get the best flight experience I can at the moment, on my PC + IMO the best combat flight sim in my books, that's what I'm paying for and that's what the whole point of DCS is. I didn't buy modules, to look in the mirror... If it really bugs me I can just download free software to change the textures of the pilot, job done.

I mean if ED do this or any 3rd party, fine I don't care, I'd be hard pressed to even notice and I see DCS pilots who look and sound nothing like me as such a massive non-issue (and probably a benefit), again I don't go and play a flight sim geared for combat aviation to look in the mirror.

If ED decide to use black and female voice actors for comms, then good and yes, definitely do that - that's something that will markedly improve ATC and other radio comms which markedly improve the experience and yes they should do that - with comms the more variety of speech, the more immersive it is.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Yep, can I make out the pilots, when I'm flying would I notice the difference? Probably not. At best I can make out there necks and that's when I'm explicitly looking at the pilot... If I'm looking at other aircraft, I'm probably not flying mine... You're describing the most niche thing I can think of in DCS...

And I only see ground targets from far away through scopes and monitors so I actually never noticed how outdated they look.

On the other hand I look at other aircraft and my own from the outside while I rearm or at the end of a sortie.

The point is, for pilots which are fully covered, HOW would you make that change?

Different skin color, larger chest. Probably takes 5 minutes to do for someone who knows how to do it.

Hooray! Sorta answered your own question there didn't you? I think a model 10+ years out of date takes more precedence over changing the colour of some guys neck...

That's your opinion just like I have mine.

What, what, did you even think when typing that last bit out???

Here I have to admit that my ADHD got the better of me and I completely misinterpreted the last section of your post so your criticism here is justified and my answer didn't match what you wrote. I apologize for that.

Just to be clear, I don't think that female / non white pilots should be a top priority and that they are something we desperately need in DCS. I just don't understand why some people are so adamantly against them being developed.