Su27 Keyboard Flight Controls !

FlankerNation

I have once made a thread for the Eagle also regarding this.

But ED have done the same mistake that they did with the Eagle.

Again, I m flying since 1996 with keyboard, not just flying but a hell of a Dog fighter. I started with ED first title Flanker 1.5 dos version and since then never touched a stick. Well, I did once but the experience was not good at all but with keyboard... MooWAH !

Anyway, let me describe what is the current problem with Su27 PFM is compare to the old method of keyboard flight controls that ED used to or still have with the Su25t, Mig29/S/A/G, Su33 and the su25 which as follows:

1. In the Su27 PFM when you pitch full aft back and you release the down arrow key the pitch doesn't stay there but automatically comes 50% forward. It's good it is not auto centering itself but it shouldn't also not come 50% forward, when leave it full aft back it should stay there.

Now some of you suggest this an AFM thing then please this nothing to do with the flight dynamics because in the real life if the pilot want hold the stick full aft back then hold it there so it should be there.

2. I fly the Su25t also and keyboard flight controls on that rocks :gun_smilie: as for su33 and Mig29/S/A/G. When i want pull the stick back with the arrow down key and want leave it in a particular position it stays there ! not jumping up and down by itself.

So please ED change the keyboard flight control method back to the old one. This is not concern to the AFM or in real life pilots sticks don't force their hand to move in certain positions.

If not clear then I will be posting a youtube video and a track file to further explain this problem.

Thank You.

• Like 1

I don't think ED have considered someone flying with keyboard these days... I don't blame them.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Because he does not want to go through the part where he will "suck" at flying until he will get hang of the joyistick. Or at least thats what he told. Its the same why i will never play a 3D shooter with gamepad.

Geting used to joystick takes time...

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Man, I've just recently embraced TrackIR and it changed simming for me.... So with HOTAS and TrackIR flightsims come to live in a way you wouldn't imagine, FlankerNation.

Do yourself a flavor and get a decent HOTAS and TrackIR, and DCS (and in my case, FSX, too) will never be the same!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Man, I've just recently embraced TrackIR and it changed simming for me.... So with HOTAS and TrackIR flightsims come to live in a way you wouldn't imagine, FlankerNation.

Do yourself a flavor and get a decent HOTAS and TrackIR, and DCS (and in my case, FSX, too) will never be the same!

I fly with it a long time and if some day my trackir broke i will not fly until buy a new one...

Its make a new level of immersion!

Just received DK2. I refuse to play this game until they support it(correctly). It is amazing. But near impossible/unplayable with the way dk2 works currently. But I haven't switched back to trackir, it doesn't even compare.

So if your curious to what's next.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

You can get a cheap joystick for like 30 bucks. I understand it's frustrating to not have keyboard controls suitable, but thats just the nature of advancement. I'm sure 99.99% of people flying here use at least a simple joystick or gamepad, something with sticks. AFM pushes the realism further for use and closer to how real life is. And such a joystick is necessary for full control. I'm not trying to force you to change your ways, but i will give a nudge and say a joystick will give you much more immersion

• Like 1

So if your curious to what's next.

Yeah, that's indeed what's next. Wonder how they fix the simple -- but profound -- issue of finding keyboard keys while wearing that thing since not everything can be mapped to a HOTAS, after all :)

Oculus Rift could also use a resolution enhancement (what would translate to a "bigger screen") in order to make out the small font of the cockpit gauges, etc.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

We love you Peter

Good stuff man! Keyboard Flying FTW!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Not long ago i was used to move my incockpit view with my fingers. I din´t had track ir and for an indecent amount of time i was very resistent to buy the Track ir. because all chit chat about sickness, headaches and so on and so for.

I was the last team mate of my squad to buy the TIR. And this was my best decision in years. I blame myself for the wasted time using my fingers to control cockpit views.

Sometimes it´s hard to admit a change when you are use to do things your own way but the best rewards are waiting for you outside if you let people to advise you. With kind and respect.....BUY A JOYSTICK.

Yo never go back again.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Not long ago i was used to move my incockpit view with my fingers. I din´t had track ir and for an indecent amount of time i was very resistent to buy the Track ir. because all chit chat about sickness, headaches and so on and so for.

I was the last team mate of my squad to buy the TIR. And this was my best decision in years. I blame myself for the wasted time using my fingers to control cockpit views.

Sometimes it´s hard to admit a change when you are use to do things your own way but the best rewards are waiting for you outside if you let people to advise you. With kind and respect.....BUY A JOYSTICK.

Yo never go back again.

I agree 100%!

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

NOPE

Those of you who are suggesting me buying a Joystick and TrackIR can ..... well you know what. And most of you don't get it. Experience experience and experience ... i don't want that experience and i m fine with current experience which I already kick butt of those who have professional sticks.

So:

1. I want the answer from the ED team.

2. Its my choice to play with keyboard and ED made an option in this Sim to play with keyboard unless there is a reason behind changing the legacy flight keyboard controls method to force the user's to buy the joystick.

3. Please don't post on this thread if your are suggesting me to change my way because this is not the solution I am asking.

If Su27 PFM or the F15c Eagle has the same keyboard flight control as the Su33, Su25t and the Mig29s would be a big help to fly these AFM or PFM Modules. Where the controls are like these:

A. Rudder : Press keys Z and X to Yaw or Steer left and right and when upon release its auto center itself.:thumbup:

B. Roll: Press <-- Left Arrow Key and --> Right Arrow Key to roll and when upon release its auto center itself.:thumbup:

C. Finally the main game changer and kicking the you know what of those flying with the professional sticks is; Press Up and Down Arrow Keys and when upon release IT SHOULD NOT AUTO CENTER ITSELF but stays there and user can manually center it with UP/DOWN arrow keys.thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

The solution is soooo Simple, go back the way (FC2 Style) the we use to control the planes with the old Keyboard flight controls. Its not rocket science to understand.

4. For All of those who are using TrackIR and and Professional sim joystick I challenge you a 5 Heat Match on Multiplayer with me and then we will see who will play the Electronic Piano Keyboard in their Funeral ;)

Edited by FlankerNation
  • Like 1

You don't have to convert your room into a homecockpit or buy a $1000 setup. Warthog, pedals, trackir, rift... that's all nice, but even the cheapest joy out there will be 100 times better than keyboard inputs. This is not a conspiracy against you, it's the truth that every simmer realized once he's got his first joystick.

C. Finally the main game changer and kicking the you know what of those flying with the professional sticks is; Press Up and Down Arrow Keys and when upon release IT SHOULD NOT AUTO CENTER ITSELF but stays there and user can manually center it with UP/DOWN arrow keys.

+1 for this.

I do have a joystick but I occasionally fly with the keyboard only (e.g. on a laptop while on the road) and this is an issue.

Brings new meaning to the term "Keyboard Warrior".

Not everyone has all five fingers on each hand so hopefully ED can do something about it to help other keyboard warriors.

I think I would be permanently head down at my keyboard if I tried to simultaneously steer, use rudder, adjust thrust, pop countermeasures, adjust radar settings and maintain a constant visual of the targets. Fair play to you.

FlankerNation, you indeed have every right to play how you wish, and kudos to your skills. I remember flying via keyboard myself in other sims as well as being without a TrackIR for quite a while - always impressing the people I flew with that I could fly as well as I was using the numpad for looking around.

I think simply put, as the game moves towards realism, the gap between realistic controls and unrealistic controls will increase. It's not in EDs interest or mission to support and develop an unrealistic input platform of gameplay and I think it is, frankly, unrealistic to expect them to divert their attention otherwise. Plainly put - there is no (financial) incentive for them to do so.

You referenced "real life [...] pilots" in your post - this is the direction ED is going. Those resistant to change will be left behind inevitably.

This is not to sway you one way or the other just to highlight where this platform is headed and its up to us all to decide how we invest in our engagement (time and money) with the game. Hopefully ED hears our collective input to help direct them however I think this particular point is pretty open and shut.

If you want to use the Keyboard..well fine..just do it...but don`t expect ED to put much energy into it..way to many "to-be-done" things on the way..

There no energy involve in this. Its already there with Su33 and Su25t,

And your confused with flight model and input controls. You are mixing them or either afraid of Keyboard Warriors

• ED Team
or either afraid of Keyboard Warriors

This statement isnt helpful to your cause....

Anyways...

The more advanced the FM, in this case PFM, the more likely it will be difficult to control with the keyboard, even with our flight sticks, the difference in real world controls and those can be seen because of this... I am gonna assume that ED probably wont make this a high priority, but another tester has brought it to their attention.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

FlankerNation, you indeed have every right to play how you wish, and kudos to your skills. I remember flying via keyboard myself in other sims as well as being without a TrackIR for quite a while - always impressing the people I flew with that I could fly as well as I was using the numpad for looking around.

I think simply put, as the game moves towards realism, the gap between realistic controls and unrealistic controls will increase. It's not in EDs interest or mission to support and develop an unrealistic input platform of gameplay and I think it is, frankly, unrealistic to expect them to divert their attention otherwise. Plainly put - there is no (financial) incentive for them to do so.

You referenced "real life [...] pilots" in your post - this is the direction ED is going. Those resistant to change will be left behind inevitably.

This is not to sway you one way or the other just to highlight where this platform is headed and its up to us all to decide how we invest in our engagement (time and money) with the game. Hopefully ED hears our collective input to help direct them however I think this particular point is pretty open and shut.

I don't think ED is going to force their customers to buy joysticks cheap or professional but respect their approach towards this great sim.

A10C is a hell of a AFM ! and I fly this hog with keyboard ! And damn I make hell on earth, why ? one simple thing .... Rudder auto center OK, Roll Auto center OK ....... Pitch ! Don't auto center stays where I want it to stay ! Manually center it buy tapping or pressing up/down keys and HOLAY LO YAAAH ... :thumbup:

Edited by FlankerNation

This statement isnt helpful to your cause....

Anyways...

The more advanced the FM, in this case PFM, the more likely it will be difficult to control with the keyboard, even with our flight sticks, the difference in real world controls and those can be seen because of this... I am gonna assume that ED probably wont make this a high priority, but another tester has brought it to their attention.

Let me give an example. You know racing Sims like Rfactor and others on PC. There real car handling physics are there, they give option to their Users to spend realistic expensive peripherals and on the other hand they also provide options to realistically setup keyboard sensitivity so some one needs to drive the car realistically with keyboard can.

So why not with DCS WORLD and its module's. With A10c and Su25t I can do it so why not others.

Also think about the new Comer's and how your product is available for the more masses.