Radar guided A/A Gun Hud symbology?

fael097

Hey, the guided gun is a breeze to use, very likely to hit the target, however I'm trying to understand all the symbology, and I don't quite get the FORESIGHT thing.

wiki says:

Fluid Omni-Range/Rate Sight (FORESIGHT). The FORESIGHT provides an indication of the target's potential to maneuver (relative to the pipper). The plus symbol in between the two lines represents maneuvering capability at 1G while maintaining the current roll attitude. The offset plus symbol is the same but at 9G. The lines indicate the maximum predicted maneuver capability of the target to roll 90° left or right and pull 9G.

so the first plus sign means 1g at current attitude, that means basically not moving. ok, but then why isn't it over the target?

how about the two lines, does it mean anything or just the current roll of the target? it doesn't really make any sense to me.

help? :doh:

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Glad I'm not the only one in confusion. Hopefully someone knows better or maybe Wags to the rescue.

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

It's relative to the pipper, not the target. If the pipper is perfectly over the target and it's pulling 1.0G then the 1G symbol should coincide. But it may not be 100% accurate at very close range; I think the FORESIGHT is intended mostly for near-maximum range gun shots.

It's relative to the pipper, not the target. If the pipper is perfectly over the target and it's pulling 1.0G then the 1G symbol should coincide.

But the pipper jumps all over the place under some conditions, while the FORESIGHT moves smoothly.

I don't know why, but they must be calculated quite differently.

But the pipper jumps all over the place under some conditions, while the FORESIGHT moves smoothly.

I don't know why, but they must be calculated quite differently.

+1

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

exactly

Rafael

OK. Here's the deal.

The FORESIGHT and the circle reticle are entirely separate. They are used separately, not in conjunction.

The reticle is "point and shoot". Based off the information on the target it computes the lead angle required to hit it. Regardless of what the target is doing, if you place the dot on the target you should hit the target if the trigger is pulled while the dot is on the target. (Assuming the target doesn't change its maneuvering while the bullets are flying)

The FORESIGHT, on the other hand, is another way of aiming entirely. It is designed for long-range (for the gun) engagement. Essentially:

- when the target is on your own plane of motion (as in following your own path of travel), the 1G "+" symbol should be placed over the target to hit it if the target is pulling 1.0G. The same applies for the 9G symbol, if the target is pulling 9.0G. If the target is pulling in between 1 and 9G, then the right place to aim is somewhere between the 1G and 9G symbols.

In other words, these provide fixed lead angle indications based on what G the target is pulling assuming it is on your own plane of motion. The FORESIGHT is no good if the target is not in the same plane - e.g., not heading more or less directly away or at you. In other words, the 1.0G pipper only works if the target is on your own plane of motion pulling 1G. This is opposite to the other non-FORESIGHT reticle which computes the lead angle dynamically, and so regardless of the target being on your own plane of motion or not, and regardless of the G's it's pulling, the dot should be accurate. As mentioned, the FORESIGHT doesn't jitter as much because the lead angle isn't computed.

The long lines part of the FORESIGHT cue are the maneuver lines. These indicates the maneuver potential of the target to maneuver outside your own plane of motion at 9G; essentially, if it were to roll 90 degrees left or right and pull 9G. The line length is based off of how far the target could maneuver at 9G at the time of one bullet in flight.

Hope that makes sense... I will be updating the wiki with the correct info.

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 1

OK. Here's the deal.

The FORESIGHT and the circle reticle are entirely separate. They are used separately, not in conjunction.

The reticle is "point and shoot". Based off the information on the target it computes the lead angle required to hit it. Regardless of what the target is doing, if you place the dot on the target you should hit the target if the trigger is pulled while the dot is on the target.

The FORESIGHT, on the other hand, is another way of aiming entirely. It is designed for long-range (for the gun) engagement. Essentially:

- when the target is on your own plane of motion (as in following your own path of travel), the 1G "+" symbol should be placed over the target to hit it if the target is pulling 1.0G. The same applies for the 9G symbol, if the target is pulling 9.0G. If the target is pulling in between 1 and 9G, then the right place to aim is somewhere between the 1G and 9G symbols.

In other words, these provide fixed lead angle indications based on what G the target is pulling assuming it is on your own plane of motion. The FORESIGHT is no good if the target is not in the same plane - e.g., not heading more or less directly away or at you. In other words, the 1.0G pipper only works if the target is on your own plane of motion pulling 1G. This is opposite to the other non-FORESIGHT reticle which computes the lead angle dynamically, and so regardless of the target being on your own plane of motion or not, and regardless of the G's it's pulling, the dot should be accurate. As mentioned, the FORESIGHT doesn't jitter as much because the lead angle isn't computed.

The long lines part of the FORESIGHT cue are the maneuver lines. These indicates the maneuver potential of the target to maneuver outside your own plane of motion at 9G; essentially, if it were to roll 90 degrees left or right and pull 9G. The line length is based off of how far the target could maneuver at 9G at the time of one bullet in flight.

Hope that makes sense... I will be updating the wiki with the correct info.

:book: :thumbup:

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

hey thanks for the research Jak, it makes a little more sense now. but is the foresight supposed to be shown at the same time as the pipper? can't you select one or the other? or as mentioned above, declutter the foresight off the screen?

also, I'm still "a little" confused on the horizontal lines:

so the inclination of the lines relative to my hud represents the target's roll? and if the target were to roll 90º and pull 9g he would be by the end of that line when? how is this useful? if I sense the target is going to do it and roll 90º and pull some Gs, am I supposed to aim for the end of this line? can I even do this? won't the foresight move along as I move the plane?

I understand the first part with the 1g and 9g + symbols, but still no clue on the horizontal lines

Rafael

Aa far as I know there is no declutter option.

The horizontal lines just give you an idea of how far the target could maneuver. The lines move as the target does so no, you can't really aim with it. It's just to prepare you for how potentially far the target could get away. They indicate how far he would be by the time one bullet would take to reach him if fired then.

Aa far as I know there is no declutter option.

The horizontal lines just give you an idea of how far the target could maneuver. The lines move as the target does so no, you can't really aim with it. It's just to prepare you for how potentially far the target could get away. They indicate how far he would be by the time one bullet would take to reach him if fired then.

I see! that makes sense now mate.

I'm just not sure if I understand the need for this, specially in radar guided gun mode. I don't think they would implement this as always on in this mode if it was just additional information and not really useful, but I'm not sure how this could be actually useful, like in what situation you would rely on this

Rafael

Yup that was the main source of my research. And yeah; most cases just use the main reticle to point and shoot. But the FORESIGHT is still kinda cool for maximizing the range of the gun.

When mastered could be used as a tool to anticipate what the tgt is going to do before you see it...as in staying on his 6 in a dogfight?

Edited by fitness88