Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Wow, I just turned off Hyperthreading in my bios and I got a real fps boost. I was around 70s-80s. I still have some ghosting issues even with ASW disabled. Also, the fps does seem like it gets stuck at 45, because if I look away and then back, the fps jumps back up to the 70s. I can do this every time unless it's around a congested area of the map. I don't have the time or patience to do the VR Test recommended by ED, but I have been flying Caucasus map with settings on high, MSAA 2x, & PD 1.5.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Wow, I just turned off Hyperthreading in my bios and I got a real fps boost. I was around 70s-80s. I still have some ghosting issues even with ASW disabled. Also, the fps does seem like it gets stuck at 45, because if I look away and then back, the fps jumps back up to the 70s. I can do this every time unless it's around a congested area of the map. I don't have the time or patience to do the VR Test recommended by ED, but I have been flying Caucasus map with settings on high, MSAA 2x, & PD 1.5.

Sweet! I'll try that tonight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

So I turned HT back on to see how different the frames are, and I noticed I was getting about the same behavior. If I look away then back the frames would spike up, however I was getting a lot more stutters on the same mission & same settings.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

I used Process Lasso to have DCS run or real cores and later disabled HT in bios. I can't say I got a performance boost but it was definitely smoother. I tried a different approach to my settings today as well and after 4 straight hours online I'm keeping them.

First I set OTT to 1.6PD and move the slider in DCS to .5. MSAA at 2x, Anisotropic Filtering at 16x, both textures high, water high, civil traffic low or off, shadows off, visibility high, SSAA off, heat blur, depth of field, terrain object shadows, cockpit global illumination, verticle sync all off, trees 70%, preload radius maxed out, grass/clutter low, chimney smoke off, full screen and water droplets checked.

It looks like a whole new headset and I can spot targets past 8 miles but the pit looks gorgeous. YMMV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

.. and move the slider in DCS to .5 ..

DCS PD = 0,5 ??

This can't be right?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

this latest release seems to have buggered the rift, I'm getting loss of tracking and blackouts all of a sudden. on Multiplayer in single player no issues.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

this latest release seems to have buggered the rift, I'm getting loss of tracking and blackouts all of a sudden. on Multiplayer in single player no issues.

Try a repair of Oculus software. Download the installer and after launching choose to repair.

If that does not work, try the below:

Disconnect your computer from the internet.

Back up any Oculus content if you want to.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus folders from here:

C:\Program Files

Remove any Oculus folders from here:

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

Reboot your computer into normal mode.

Reconnect the computer to the internet.

Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try a repair of Oculus software. Download the installer and after launching choose to repair.

If that does not work, try the below:

Disconnect your computer from the internet.

Back up any Oculus content if you want to.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus folders from here:

C:\Program Files

Remove any Oculus folders from here:

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

Reboot your computer into normal mode.

Reconnect the computer to the internet.

Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

repair did the trick, 80 FPS on the Normandy on Burning Skies, @ 20,000 feet didn't see one FW or BF109. but there was 20 peeps on, just couldn't find them.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

repair did the trick, 80 FPS on the Normandy on Burning Skies, @ 20,000 feet didn't see one FW or BF109. but there was 20 peeps on, just couldn't find them.

My favorite Churchill quote:

"When you're going through hell-keep going!" :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Oculus Tray Tool should override the PD setting in DCS...

It does override it. For whatever reason, setting PD to 1.6 in OTT and .5 in DCS VR tab, then setting FSAA to 2x is letting me see aircraft out to at least 8 miles. They don't jump out at you but you can see them. It's kind of baffling since PD and FSAA are both supersampling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All my prior experience with GPU's was in mining. We looked at the Vega64 as a dog, very prone to throttling, much easier to keep a 56 cool. We would undervolt and actually underclock the core, we were pushing the memclock. You got 90% of the performance with the 56, with better reliability and less money up front. With water cooling, and knowing the memclock doesn't do squat for DCS, for the same money I might lean toward the 64 to get a couple more TMU's.

I tended to hate cheap GPU's but powercolor did OK with mining, my MSI seems to be doing OK with DCS to my astonishment. Maybe they are all reference cards, I dunno. Like I said, I'm not sure I'd sink a lot of money into it, and I think you're right on it, gotta keep that little pig cool, that's the key to the whole thing.

I went with the pulse vega 56 in the end. I haven’t done any tweaking yet, seems to be a pretty good card. And was actually doing alright with resident evil 2 at 2160p. My build is newrly identical to yours, i have he 2600x.

Any guides on tweaking the card clock and volting? Did you flash a 64 bios to yours?

I went with the pulse vega 56 in the end. I haven’t done any tweaking yet, seems to be a pretty good card. And was actually doing alright with resident evil 2 at 2160p. My build is newrly identical to yours, i have he 2600x.

Any guides on tweaking the card clock and volting? Did you flash a 64 bios to yours?

I just auto-undervolt. I read one review suggesting that worked as well as anything. Regardless, I have a long way to go before I can kick things up to the next level, eg adding msaa. I just want to keep it cool.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

disappointing upgrade so far

I have had DCS for a long time but just getting back into it. I recently got the Rift S and while it is good the graphics "at least for me " do not see to be on par with the discussions I read. I had a gtx 980 and just upgraded to the radeon 5700 xt. I am getting pretty much the exact FPS and jitter issues as I did with the 980. Fairly new and still reading/trying tweaks but so far I can fly for more than 10 minutes due to the lack of detail/jitter.

My system

i7 5820k @ 4.3

32 gb ram

ssd drive for dcs install

Radeon 5700 xt 8gb

Oculus rift s.

980 40 or so fps

5700 xt 40 or so fps

both have jitters in cockpit, some texters "like rivets" and such

I have had DCS for a long time but just getting back into it. I recently got the Rift S and while it is good the graphics "at least for me " do not see to be on par with the discussions I read. I had a gtx 980 and just upgraded to the radeon 5700 xt. I am getting pretty much the exact FPS and jitter issues as I did with the 980. Fairly new and still reading/trying tweaks but so far I can fly for more than 10 minutes due to the lack of detail/jitter.

My system

i7 5820k @ 4.3

32 gb ram

Radeon 5700 xt 8gb

Oculus rift s.

980 40 or so fps

5700 xt 40 or so fps

You didn't mention your DCS graphics settings . Start with the VR preset , and increase the settings gradually according to your own priorities . Start with pd 1.2 as well , and slowly increase as necessary .The 40 frames you will always see if your system cannot maintain 80 . I find the Oculus debug tool ( in the Oculus directory) useful as well . I disable "adaptive graphics performance" and ASW with it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'll give those a try. I have tried default vr settings as well as med and low. They all hover around 40. What is the deal with the graphics twitching. Items in the cockpit seem to be on drugs and move around.like a latch on the canopy.

I'll give those a try. I have tried default vr settings as well as med and low. They all hover around 40. What is the deal with the graphics twitching. Items in the cockpit seem to be on drugs and move around.like a latch on the canopy.

That sounds like a tracking issue . Not enough light , not enough objects or wall delineation . The headset cameras have to have objects to see to track against . A blank wall , for example , is of no help to tracking .

My system

i7 5820k @ 4.3

32 gb ram

Radeon 5700 xt 8gb

Oculus rift s.

980 40 or so fps

5700 xt 40 or so fps

Kinda hard to know how amd cards will do in dcs. There's a theory that it correlates with the number of texture mapping units. Pound for pound Nvidia seems to leave amd in the dust. But you can make up for it with tmus. So a Vegas 56 is weaker on paper than a 1080, but it has over 200 tmus so maybe that's why it can keep up in dcs. Your card has only 160 tmus like the 1080 so it may struggle to keep up. Should be playable, just don't count on a lot of eye candy.

40fps is a perfectly good target

Pull up the Oculus tray tool and check out your CPU and GPU render times. If either one of those is >25 you'll get stutters. Some stutters are due to GPU setting too high, eg trying to push pd and Msaa at the same time. But the CPU can also cause stutters, like when you spawn into a busy airport. Let us know what those numbers look like.

But I can already tell ya, turn off Msaa, get your PD as low as you can stand it, vis range medium, trees 60%, turn off shadows. That's probably what you're looking at.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks been working and tweaking settings as I have time. Been working a ton. I ended up deleting the entire user config folder and relaunching, started off on low and so forth. I finally got rid of that weird twitching movement in the cockpit and when i turned my head. It seems to be running a tad smoother but as of yet i am still limited to 10 minutes free flight before i feel a bit funny and have to take the headset off. As for the card it is shocking that I tested 6800x1080 everything on high and got 45 fps but medium to low in rift gets the same fps

Thanks been working and tweaking settings as I have time. Been working a ton. I ended up deleting the entire user config folder and relaunching, started off on low and so forth. I finally got rid of that weird twitching movement in the cockpit and when i turned my head. It seems to be running a tad smoother but as of yet i am still limited to 10 minutes free flight before i feel a bit funny and have to take the headset off. As for the card it is shocking that I tested 6800x1080 everything on high and got 45 fps but medium to low in rift gets the same fps

oh yeah i'm like over a hundred in pancake mode. 2 different kettles of fish

a lot of us are dying to know what you come up with. what settings are you running currently?

Has anyone done the Su-25 Dogfight (1v1) mission in the Rift CV1?

It takes place over a city in PG - and I've been reading all sorts of comments about poor performance when low over PG cities.

I ask because I had zero issues at all in VR whilst flying down to just below the roofs of the highest blocks in the city (I actually won the dogfight when I chased the enemy Su-25 down and he flew into a block).

I was surprised at how smooth it was, considering the comments and my relatively medium-specced rig. I'd been avoiding flying PG since I bought it a few months back, due to the comments. Was going to try once I'd overclocked my RTX2060 - but no need, it seems.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I've no idea what the exact location is (the city), but it has some very remarkable features:

Su-25-1v1.jpgSu-25-1v1-3.jpg

Su-25-1v1-4.jpg

Persian Gulf hasn't had any VR performance updates, I think, so I'm even more astounded that things ran so smoothly.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

...Persian Gulf hasn't had any VR performance updates, I think, so I'm even more astounded that things ran so smoothly.

The Caucasus & PG maps are the only maps to have been updated with the VR improvements.

That’s Dubai :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

In that case, the tweaks must be working very well! I've changed nothing from my usual settings for VR.

Be interesting to see how it runs on my Index, too, but I think this is possibly the best and smoothest scenery I've seen in my Rift CV1.

Looks like I'll be flying a lot more in PG, then.

Kneeboard Guides