So torn...... - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
Cap'n Penguin

Default So torn......

I am so torn... My original computer had some issues and it never did run correctly. I did most of my flying (98%) or more in VR because of the functionality and wow factor. I had to return the other rig and the new one arrived yesterday. I was finally able to spool up DCS in 4K on my 55 inch TV and my jaw hit the floor. It is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Spotting targets many miles further out, clarity of HUD and instruments, you name it. It is an amazing experience.

So now I am so torn.... VR for the functionality or Pancake for the absolute visual spectacle that is DCS.

Dangit maybe I need to try Track IR as the middle ground.

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift - Old Lawn chair

Cap'n Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
MikeMikeJuliet

If you are using a monitor you almoat have to use headtracking - I say almost because there are a few extremely good pilots using thumbstick/snap views for looking around, but to get to look around the cockpit freely (and freeing up the thumbstick for, say, trim) is paramount for most players.

Why not do both, VR and Tir?

Regards,
MikeMikeJuliet
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
zhukov032186

Because they're mutually exclusive? You don't need TrackIR if you are wearing a headset as it has integrated positioning.

I've used the headsets in the past, the immersion factor is amazing, but the tech is really not 'there' yet. It needs to be several times the resolution it is in order to be truly useful/competitive. I ended up selling mine. With a sufficiently large/close screen and a properly calibrated TrackIR setup, it's a close second for 'fun' factor, but much more functional for a sim revolving around 'spotting dots miles away'.

I recommend personally a 34-35'' curved 3440x1440 screen until the VR tech matures. Be advised, TrackIR does take a little while to get used to, it's not as 'natural' as VR of course, and your mileage will vary depending on how you configure it.

For example, I have mine set where turning my head to the left of the screen brings 180' just onto the very edge of the screen. I try to keep it 1-to-1 and avoid 'the Exorcist' tendency you can get where your ingame view is turn past 180 or other 'unnatural' movements.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
METEOP

If I may...

I am not hopping on the VR bandwagon because it is still in it's infancy so far as I am concerned.

Try TrackHat Clip with Opentrack, it is bliss!

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Last edited by METEOP; 01-12-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: forgot to specify which bracket I am using
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
javelina1

I fly DCS only in VR, because of the immersion. But if you're going 2D, then indeed TrackIR is the way to go. Regardless of what folks say here, enjoy DCS your way!

I usually follow this rule. DCS = VR, ArmA3 type games = TrackIR :-)

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Virpil WarBRD
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
thrustvector

track ir and monitor/big tv, prefer every time than vr
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustvector View Post
track ir and monitor/big tv, prefer every time than vr
VR is quite an experience but I will take my 4k monitor over the current VR solutions, every time.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #8
VZ_342

+1 TiR
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
MikeMikeJuliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
Because they're mutually exclusive? You don't need TrackIR if you are wearing a headset as it has integrated positioning.

I've used the headsets in the past, the immersion factor is amazing, but the tech is really not 'there' yet. It needs to be several times the resolution it is in order to be truly useful/competitive. I ended up selling mine. With a sufficiently large/close screen and a properly calibrated TrackIR setup, it's a close second for 'fun' factor, but much more functional for a sim revolving around 'spotting dots miles away'.

I recommend personally a 34-35'' curved 3440x1440 screen until the VR tech matures. Be advised, TrackIR does take a little while to get used to, it's not as 'natural' as VR of course, and your mileage will vary depending on how you configure it.

For example, I have mine set where turning my head to the left of the screen brings 180' just onto the very edge of the screen. I try to keep it 1-to-1 and avoid 'the Exorcist' tendency you can get where your ingame view is turn past 180 or other 'unnatural' movements.
I meant use both systems - fly at times in VR, at times on desktop. If one already owns everything else except for the TIR/equivalent then why choose. VR is amazing for many things, but if you want to see what you are doing instrumentwse then monitor ia the way to go.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Kayos

I have a 3440x1440 curved monitor, a brand new 65” 4K TV and still will only use my Rift.
I’ve tried the others but just can’t go back. I don’t want to look at a screen. I want to be in the cockpit.