What's wrong with the Bombs? (or with me?)

Rescue

Hey there!

I'm pretty new in DCS. I'm in a year or so and started with the A-10C.

Now I'm on the Hornet.

Problem is I never get ahit on a Target, regardless if I'm working with CCIP or Auto. The Cross is on the Target but the Bombs fail them by 1-50 meters. Also no hit with the Rockeyes.

I tryed it many ways and never get a kill. In some Tracks, even if I hit there is no kill.

OH yeah.. No Track for this is happens way to often and the Track is always desync.

In a Youtube Video someone saying about the Loft(Toss) Bombing is also not programmet yet/well.

Soooo it is just me or does this also happen to others?

Im so happy as soon as we get some guided AG Armament.

Greetings

I would think you are either not arming your fuses or you are hitting and not destroying. If you look at the F10 map you can see a health status bar for the target. Check to see if when you hit that the bar is going down.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hey there!

Now I'm on the Hornet.

Problem is I never get ahit on a Target, regardless if I'm working with CCIP or Auto. The Cross is on the Target but the Bombs fail them by 1-50 meters. Also no hit with the Rockeyes.

I tryed it many ways and never get a kill. In some Tracks, even if I hit there is no kill.

OH yeah.. No Track for this is happens way to often and the Track is always desync.

In a Youtube Video someone saying about the Loft(Toss) Bombing is also not programmet yet/well.

Greetings

Are you sure you're not just trying mk82 snake eye's (and that the rockeye miss is just bad luck)? The snake eye's seem to have a specific way of using them. As a new Hornet driver myself, I didn't yet find out how to properly use these, although with all other bombs I don't have this problem (auto as well as ccip)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Really need a track to see if you are setting the bomb profile correctly, you want to be stable (wings level) after the roll-in for approx 5 sec min.

I had no issue (CCIP) with the Mk-20 Rockeyes last night (though did miss a couple of targets), I'm still playing with Mk-82SE quantity and interval to get good AOE damage passes.

I haven't tried single Mk-82's but Rockeye (burst height 1200ft) roll-in were at 8000 ft with release around 2000ft and Mk-82SE (retarded setting) passes were at approx. 500 ft. @ 470 KCAS

Edit: Retested the Snakeyes and they fell long, only way I hit the target dropping singles was to adjust my aim point.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.3.22877

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

With the general purpose low drag bombs like the Mk82/83/84 you should get good hits using CCIP and AUTO. I have no issues with these.

There are some issues observed with the targeting solution for high drag bombs, namely the Snakeye (and possibly also the ballute Mk82YT but I didn‘t test that myself yet).

Hey there!

Now I'm on the Hornet.

Greetings

Exactly! Same here with Mk82/84 (Edit, it was 82/84)

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

There's been a bug report months ago about the Mk.83 being accurate, but the others not. 82s fall long and 84s fall short. Was never acknowledged though. So if you can score good hits with the 83s, but not with other bombs, it might be the case that the problem is not you fsgrin.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My rock eyes are falling short ccip . I'll test the mk82.

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Really need a track to see if you are setting the bomb profile correctly, you want to be stable (wings level) after the roll-in for approx 5 sec min.

Sounds interesting.. For sure it's just normal that the plane needs to stabilize but I missed the "not-accurate-fire-solution-symbology" like the Harrier (blinking cross) or the A10c (dashed line) had. So I just thought "well that's works". :music_whistling::doh:

Will try some runs later with the 83's and will report. Maybe a Track if I get one.

Nice to see I'm not alone :joystick:

Auto-bombing (CCRP) sucks ATM....I 've never use it. Only manual CCIP and Im very accurate with that mode.

As far as for the MK-82SE, I agree with you.

For all other bombs I find the auto mode highly effective and, most of all, very easy to use, especially for quick target designation. Of course for precision bombing we will need laser guidance, but till that time the "simple" auto bombing mode grants the ability to hit targets while staying out of reach from AAA guns

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Auto-bombing (CCRP) sucks ATM....Only manual CCIP and Im very accurate with that mode.

Agree! Same here, CCIP is fine.

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

But the first and the last bombs doenst hit again.

Am im flying to low or the angle or something?

Doesn't look too bad IMHO, you just need to improve your technique and practice.

I make plenty of mistakes myself but I'll give what feedback I can

• I use the radar altimeter but it's use depends on terrain and altitude, so is less of an issue.

• In your 1st release, you didn't reduce your throttle in the dive, so were at/near M1.0 at release.

• Your release for the 1st pass looked early. Other long/short impacts, looked to be for similar reasons.

This is my basic technique but I'm probably explaining stuff you already known and you just want a little more practice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=196142&stc=1&d=1539784005

I'll attach a track of my attempt (took control after your spawn) - I could attribute my misses to poor timing/flying rather than CCIP problems or anything else.

1124735281_FA-18CMk-83BombingExampleScreen_181017_132522.thumb.jpg.3332522792637d1ed558835d3cd6f758.jpg

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Might play a small part as well, but CCIP doesnt account for wind yet, so possible people are seeing issues there.

At least in my observations I can rule that out. I've got the weather set to German = no wind at all in my training maps. So it's probably my hooves... though I hit far more precisely and consistently in any other module with CCIP. And they don't have FCS/FBW, except for the Mirage... wait, may it be that some micro oscillations originating from the FCS to stabilize the Hornet may cause some inaccuracy in bombing and rockets deployment?

• In your 1st release, you didn't reduce your throttle in the dive, so were at/near M1.0 at release.

Interesting, does that change things? I've always trying to be fast (usually 0.9 - 0.95ish), 'cos otherwise I could just drive an A-10C instead... rdlaugh.png

I'll try making out differences in accuracy with different speeds in my next training runs to find that out... rainbowdashwink.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Interesting, does that change things? I've always trying to be fast (usually 0.9 - 0.95ish), 'cos otherwise I could just drive an A-10C instead...

I think it is not so much about the absolute speed itself but more to the point that you dont want to accelerate too much during the dive since that makes the pipper moving faster and faster up and make a precise pickle more difficult than it has to be.

Snake Eyes require a pretty specific delivery method.....500 knots at 500 feet altitude from a pretty much level delivery....using that method I have found them to be pretty accurate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

A transsonic release is probably a bad idea for a dumb munition.

It's not just the changing drag coefficients, if simulated properly, you can easily get very highly asymmetric drag in unpredictable directions. What I've observed in game seems to bear this out.

Mk82Y (ballute retarded) has similar issues in all cases - but it doesn't matter much in its intended use case, very low and straight drops. I suggest no higher than 200ft AGL for a convoy-sized target. I call them shotgun bombs.

Haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, but apparently the cluster munitions need to have their activation altitude set to 1500 ft to be accurate too. Certainly the only case where it hits what I aimed it at.

Mk83 are good ccip.

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Sorry if this was covered already: Make sure that if you are attacking a heavily armed target (Tank/Bunker etc.) you drop your bombs in pairs. If you are trying to kill a T-90 with a single Mk82 for example, you are setting yourself up for frustration. :)