Meet and Greet

Hello DCS Community...  my name is Sean Bergesen, and I have signed-on to this forum specifically to recruit one or more experienced DCS users to collaborate with me on the documentary film, "Timber Sweet:  The Untold Story of Military Tactical Data Links."  The film is currently in-production and we hope to use significant DCS simulations to provide viewers a near-real portrayal of tactical data link usage in modern combat aircraft.  But I need some actual DCS users to help make that happen.  Extensive knowledge of F-16, F-18, and/or A-10 data link functionality is important.  Basic information about the film can be found at http://timbersweetmovie.com, including a short pre-production trailer, and you may contact me directly at airwingfilms@gmail.com.  I am in ongoing coordination with the Eagle Dynamics leadership to get official blessing for use of DCS products within the content of "Timber Sweet."   FYI...   although I am now a filmmaker, the bulk of my professional life was spent as a navigator and electronic warfare officer in military jet aircraft.  I look forward to hearing from any of you interested in becoming a part of the "Timber Sweet" filmmaking team.  All the best!

• Like 6

Hi my name is Gijs.

Hi my name is Gijs

I am currently orienting for a PC to possibly play dcs.

Played on a PlayStation in recent years mainly destiny, cod, apex, overwatch, met beautiful people, but those groups fall apart because everyone does their own things.

Recently playing ace combat and that makes me long for the past when I played msfs (5) 😅 and jane's Apache on the PC, so now seriously watching dcs and a PC.

I would like to play dcs with an A10, but what I see is that many targets are stationary, or is there movement in this too?

In arma there is much more interaction with the ground troops, and targets, but the Sim chopped is much lower, and still looks a little less.

I'm looking for some advice in this, because dcs is just much nicer visually, and more extensive but arma offers more interaction I have the idea.

So I need some advice.

PC too, I can take over a PC with enough speed, ram, and a 3070 card, but can also put something together. 4K would be nice but upscaling may also be possible to start with.

Please advise.

Greet

OH YES, the troops move and shoot back at you, depending on what missions you select.  There are complete ground battles.  Using "combined arms" you can be part of the ground war or control from the skies.  And be careful becasue the AI is very accurate.  And Air-to-Air can be deadly.  Create your own missions or download hundreds of pre-built single missions, master the training missions, master the Super Carrier, even long term inter-active progressive campaigns.  HOWEVER - FAIR WARNING  DCS can be addictive!!!

• Like 1

I-9 12900K, RTX 3090, 64 GB, 2TB SSD, Oculus Quest 2, Win 11, Winwing Orion F-16EX Stick, F-18 dual throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals.

9 hours ago, Banshee33 said:

I would like to play dcs with an A10, but what I see is that many targets are stationary, or is there movement in this too?

You want that building run away from you or what? LOL, joking 🙂

There are both stationary and moving targets - that depends on how mission was created. Apart from air targets you can attack ex. moving column on the road or some tanks and apcs offroad. There are also special tpod modes and weapons to deal with that. The interaction can also be scripted for a mission or can depend on the real deal in MP groups. The learing curve is steep, mind you.

Decent PC with 3070 is enough for 4K play.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

New to DCS.  I like it so far, the small details match real world gear, plus guns and bombs make this sim much more enjoyable than MSFS.  USAF vet, F-15 crew chief in '89 with the 57th FIS, tail 80-0041.  C-141B FE with the 8th AS at McChord AFB through '96.  Thanks in advance for saying howdy.  Cheers.  🍺

• Like 5

Hey all, I've been playing DCS for a few months now but I'm just starting to get active in the forums (I think I created my account when I started and never logged in after that lol).  I was never military but I do fly charter jets and I'm a flight instructor in real life so the flying part all makes sense, but the military systems and tactics of it all is fascinating to me, hence why I'm here!  I think I'm fairly competent in the F16 and F18, and I'm currently looking for a flexible and relaxed group to fly with.  If that describes your group and you're recruiting, let me know!  Or you can usually find me on one of the Through The Inferno servers as "Hawker 1-1".  I'll see ya'll up there!

• Like 3

141st JTOC | COL. "Matt" | Lobo 1-1

Greetings All,

Former Music store owner and musician although don't play as much as I did in my younger days. Used to play badly for a living. Guitar player.  Home is the state of Mississippi, USA! Reaching "Old Geezer" age. 🙂 Got into flight sims in '98 with "Navy Fighters" . Got into Warbirds in'99 with EAW. Joined the '78th VFG in '99 and flew EAW at the old MSN Zone. Had great times there and still keep in touch with some of my old squad mates. That squad was founded by Quaker_78th after he had been commissioned by the 78th FG veterans to build and manage their website in the early 90's. The 78th VFG started in WW2 Fighters but spread to EAW quickly and had 91 members at one point. Xmas '99, we got to speak to some of the 78thFG Vets on comms at a Xmas part where we sent a a couple of VFG members who set up some PC's running EAW that some of the Vets flew and us with them. We were the "offical" online ambassadors for the veteran's group and they linked our squad website on theirs. We were very proud of that.  Oh if they could only see where Sims are today.   Most of us were on dial up internet in those days. It was a big deal to have 4 VS 4 in a mission. Now we have 100.

From there went to IL-2 and Hyper Lobby, 13 of us formed "13 Squadron" after the 78th disbanded. You can see the checkerboard in our patch as tribute to the 78th. I started flying "Cliffs of Dover" in 2014 once I had built a rig that would run it and Team Fusion had corrected many of the issues with it. It's a great sim. Has some of the "soul" EAW had. There are a couple more 13 Sqn mates that get out from time to time but it's usually just me. I finally downloaded DCS last year as I was building my VR rig. The TF-51 in VR blew me away so I got some modules but didn't really begin with DCS until a couple of months ago. Much to learn. I flew CLoD exclusively up until then. I've been Beta testing the CLoD Blitz VR as well.  I am asking myself why I waited so long to begin DCS. Aside from it's, what I'd consider "minor" issues I think it's outstanding! I "thought" I was an experienced virtual pilot till I flew on your servers. Some great pilots here.

My Step Father is a retired Naval Aviator and a private pilot and I really appreciate the detail of the sim and the airfield procedures on the Multiplayer servers I've been flying on. Warbird nut here although I do have the L-39 as my Step Dad owned and flew one for a few years. Never got to go up in it unfortunately. I haven't flown it yet. I still have to start learning the Jug. Love the Pony in this sim. In EAW it hung with the bad guys. We were so happy when we got some American aircraft in the original IL-2 as we had to paint our LA-5's with checkerboard noses , but the 51 there was outclassed IMHO.

So far thanks for the help I've received and for being patient with me  as I learn the ropes on the servers! See Y'all online!

Axe

Edited by 13sq*Axe
  • Like 4

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

Hi guys, 

My given name is Lotaloi2023, from Canada, love particularly combat heli sim. This one is nice while playing as arcade way coz 100 % sim mode is too difficult as being a novice now, but soon I will be able to use 100% sim mode if engage my effort. 

I play DSC Black Shark version 1.0 came with original DVD and think that there are some bugs in the game. I will update it into version 3 soon. I have joined with this community & wish to learn from experts like u folks 👨‍⚕️ & thanks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lotaloi2023 said:

DSC Black Shark version 1.0 came with original DVD

This version/game is no longer supported.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Oh I see ,,,,but I will soon download its 3rd version, right now updating the pc configs etc. This DVD bought on 2013 I think and have had it, did not play due to too difficult or bugs what so ever.  Also I have been in RC helis, spending most of the time there. 

The version 3 has lots of improved terrain making the sim more realistic and exciting, unlike its predecessor. 

1 hour ago, lotaloi2023 said:

The version 3 has lots of improved terrain making the sim more realistic and exciting, unlike its predecessor. 

Now DCS is like an operating system. It comes with 2 free aircraft, 2 free maps, mission editor and AI units. Any other aircraft to fly or maps are now paid DLC to install.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, draconus said:

Now DCS is like an operating system. It comes with 2 free aircraft, 2 free maps, mission editor and AI units. Any other aircraft to fly or maps are now paid DLC to install.

Sorry asking too layman questions.....What do I need to have to run Black Shark 3 except the pc requirements ???

57 minutes ago, lotaloi2023 said:

Sorry asking too layman questions.....What do I need to have to run Black Shark 3 except the pc requirements ???

You have to install DCS (free) and buy the Ka-50 III module (then install).

Check the license page in your profile so you'll know if you apply for a first buy 50% discount.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/licenses/

• Like 1

Hi all! I joined a while ago and tried DCS (A10 & F16) since i was looking for some more immersion and depth in gaming.

Coming from Star Citizen and War Thunder i'm amazed about the level of detail. Bought a Pico 4 but the old laptop isn't keeping up so i ordered new parts for a desktop.
Guess i'm officially hooked and will be around for the time to come.

Cheers all!

• Like 2

Welcome!  Coincidentally, I bought my HOTAS for Star Citizen after pre-ordering a starter ship in 2012, thinking then that it would be released "soon"... a little off target there.  No more pre-orders for me!  I also played enough War Thunder to pretty quickly want to try something more authentic, so I tried Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad and then DCS, first the free Su-25 and then the P-51.  I knew next to nothing about flying and I was excellent at crashing on landing and pretty clueless in combat, but I was hooked, too.  And once I went to VR there was no going back for sure. 😄

Fast forward 10 years and a ton of reading, research and practice later (which I've thoroughly enjoyed), and DCS is better than ever with a lot more on the horizon.  Good luck with the PC build!  

• Like 3

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

2 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I bought my HOTAS for Star Citizen after pre-ordering a starter ship in 2012, thinking then that it would be released "soon"... a little off target there. 

LMAO!!!

Sorry, man, but that is funny.

I initially bought mine for Elite Dangerous. I'm just now getting my feet wet here.

Greetings from Phoenix, AZ... Recently decided to go 'all in' with DCS. I have two buddies who are both active USN Hornet pilots so my DCS jet is the F/A-18C. I've only been active with it for a few weeks however as I've been building my gaming rig (new PC, VR, NLR cockpit, Warhog HOTAS, etc). I just installed the Beta version this weekend - multithreading really boosted my performance (now getting 85 fps on screen and 40 fps in VR). The VR experience is an absolute game-changer for me!

I do have a quick forum question. I created my DCS forum account on Friday and waited the standard 24 hrs before I could set up my profile. I was able to do so last night, however I'm not able to complete it for some reason (can't set my profile image). When I try, I get the below error message. Is this typical or is this a known issue right now? I've tried 3 different browsers and even tried from my phone but I get the same error message. I've cleared my cookies, my cashe, etc but no dice. Any ideas?  Thanks - looking forward to learning from you all.

This page isn’t working

forum.dcs.world redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

• Like 1

i5 11400 ׀ 16GB RAM ׀ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ׀ Buttkicker Pro ׀ Razer Blackshark V3 Pro ׀ Oculus Rift S VR ׀ TM Warthog Stick/Throttle HOTAS ׀ TM F/A-18C Stick ׀ Logitech G Pro Rudder Pedals ׀ Next Level Racing Boeing Military Cockpit

F/A/18C  -  Super Carrier  -  Nevada

27 minutes ago, Cobra_B39 said:

When I try, I get the below error message. Is this typical or is this a known issue right now?

That's odd! I deleted and re-uploaded my profile image and it worked without a hitch. But it seems this is a known issue (unless it has been resolved in the last couple of minutes... 😉 ). If the problem persists, you should probably amend that thread.

Have fun with the Hornet! Even though your buddies fly the more advanced version, there should be enough commonality for you to get engaged in some pretty in-depth discussions with them (as far as they're allowed to go into detail, anyway). 🙂

Thanks for the reply. I checked out that thread and added a comment so they know it's still an issue. I assume if they get it resolved, they'll reply to that thread. As for the Hornet, I actually got some time in the E-version sim while at NAS Lemoore a couple years ago. Can't compare a full-functioning cockpit to a TM Warthog HOTAS and yes there are some significant differences between the E/F and the Legacy but still - the VR set up here at the house is still incredible!    

• Like 1

i5 11400 ׀ 16GB RAM ׀ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ׀ Buttkicker Pro ׀ Razer Blackshark V3 Pro ׀ Oculus Rift S VR ׀ TM Warthog Stick/Throttle HOTAS ׀ TM F/A-18C Stick ׀ Logitech G Pro Rudder Pedals ׀ Next Level Racing Boeing Military Cockpit

I wish that the DCS would be continuing its good work on realistic like these and more people will be familiar with this too. Don't disappear like other great sims such as Jane's , MicroProse and so on.  

Long live DSC and its associates 😂

I agree. I've been off/on with flight sims for a long time... Falcon 4.0, Jane's, Flanker 2.5, etc.  Before DCS, I flew VRS Superbug for a couple years (maybe 4-5 years ago when I had Windows 7).  I don't think they bothered making it compatible with Windows 10 so it retired to the boneyard like the others.  DCS however appears to be going strong - at least they keep adding aircraft and functionality (multithread). Time will tell I guess.   

• Like 1

Hi there, new player to DCS.

Started loooooong ago on a 286 with a pirated copy of MicroProse's F15 Strike Eagle 2, figuring out what function every key on the keyboard was.

Followed up with (legal copies) F-117A and Gunship 2000 and forays in some other titles kept me busy for a number of years, until other hobbies and adulthood put that on hold.

Few decades later, advances in technology, other hobbies having diminished, bit of a midlife (already had a motorcycle for years, so couldn't go for that 😆),

figured I'd relive a little of my childhood, bought a 2nd hand Logitech G940, got IL-2 Cliffs of dover, and things went from there, to this point, where I acquired DCS earlier this year.

Jumped on the 50% starter deal, and got a few extra modules along the way

Luckily don't need much Spitfire training, because of Cliffs of Dover, but the F-14 is daunting (certainly far beyond the old F15 and a blank keyboard), and I haven't dared the A10 yet

(apart from blowing the canopy off 😅)

Right now, I'm focusing on the Tomcat, getting it in the air and flying around, I kinda got the hang of, now just the combat and (carrier)landing part 🤣

• Like 1
  • Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, new DCS player here. I have been playing flight sims on and off since the original SubLogic flight simulator on a PC XT and some instrument-only sims on my TRS-80. Decided to get back into it and jumped in with both feet. I acquired Winwin Orion 2 HOTAS set, VKB T-Rudders, and a Reverb 2. 

I of course downloaded DCS, and after considerable research and childhood fantasies, chose the F-16C as my first aircraft to attempt to master. It was overwhelming at first and still is to a degree, but I have made a lot of progress after spending two days flying training missions just to fine-tune the HOTAS bindings. 

I also bought MSFS as well for when I want to enjoy the scenery and not get shot at. 🙂

In terms of VR, my 4080 and 11700K are handling DCS in VR smoothly. I struggle a bit whenever I have to interact with the keyboard in VR, and also use the mouse to select controls that are not mapped to the Winwing controls. The mouse seems very jittery when combined with the VR head tracking. I am sure I'll get used to it.

Anyway, going to play solo for a while and then seek out some multiplayer experiences for beginners and see how I can embarrass myself. :)

• Like 3