Alerax's LSO AI Script

Sickdog, you got a cut pass because of your come down at the ramp...that's a big no-no. You can still get an (OK) pass with (\)AR but once you have \AR, it's a guaranteed C. Flying down through the glideslope IC or AR can be deadly IRL, and the grading is intended to emphasize that.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sickdog, you got a cut pass because of your come down at the ramp...that's a big no-no. You can still get an (OK) pass with (\)AR but once you have \AR, it's a guaranteed C. Flying down through the glideslope IC or AR can be deadly IRL, and the grading is intended to emphasize that.

Thanks for that RyboPops, fantastic info.

I was getting the same and apart from that it was a fantastic approach. More work required.

This script and others like it really do make this game. Love it. Thanks again Alerax!

:thumbup:

Thanks Rybo- I’ll keep a better eye on that condition, I could have sworn that ball stayed centered till touchdown. ;)

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

Thanks for the work on this!

Bit of a shame you obfuscated all the functions and commonly used terms, it makes it nigh on impossible to read. Bearing in mind you've put a filewrite to users hard drives in the scripts and I can pretty much assume it's OK, but honestly, quite scary to have something I can't read doing something like that:

local Q2SmEvcRTiQVc8N3yy4et1o0s = io.open(BGEKtkt3iiBFIy2kcTxAYwCS5, 'w')
       for Jd6TvGGEKtkt3iiBFIy2kcTxA = 1,#UiiBFIy2kcTxAYwCS5uKueLba[fHnAHCQbcBDOhUtMpwT3Qsmnl],1 do
           Q2SmEvcRTiQVc8N3yy4et1o0s:write(UiiBFIy2kcTxAYwCS5uKueLba[fHnAHCQbcBDOhUtMpwT3Qsmnl][Jd6TvGGEKtkt3iiBFIy2kcTxA],'\n\t')

For an example of Gold Standard community work, check out

Mist: https://github.com/mrSkortch/MissionScriptingTools

Moose: https://github.com/FlightControl-Master/MOOSE

or any of Ciribob's open releases: https://github.com/ciribob

We can fork, contribute and assist. It keeps the wheel moving, avoids duplication and encourages growth and excellence. And to these people I owe a lot since I learned from them as I came from a non developer background too!

In every case of code re-use, collaboration is a force multiplier and easily controlled via GitHUB. I've seen the benefits of this. If we work individually, we get stuck in the Stone Age. When we work together, we can reach the Moon.

Don't be shy, open the doors! :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Alerax,

I added the script to a mission and I can see it working for the AI flights, but when I came in I noticed there was no audio. I saw the text though so I changed to button 1 when asked after leaving Marshall. My first inkling something was up was when I flew the initial, there was no check-in clear call. But I flew the pattern anyway, got in the groove, and then there was no call the ball call. So I waved off and tried again. Same thing.

So I reset and requested enter the pattern. Did the pattern, same thing. So I reset again and this time requested straight in. Rolled into the groove, no LSO call. I landed, boltered, went around. Rest. Request straight in. Rolled into the groove. Even double checked I was on the right freq. No LSO call. So I trapped anyway. Upon landing, I got a grade for my bolter and for my trap. Yet I never heard the LSO.

Any ideas?

This is the only mission I've had this issue. All the other ones work fine.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Sounds like you didn’t add the sound file to the .miz file

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is really fantastic and a whole lot of fun :)

One request; Would it be possible if all other aircraft are AI controlled, say you're flying single player with a wingman, to allow a straight in approach?

Or say for example you're low on fuel and you need to land now regardless of other traffic, especially if that traffic is AI. Like "Declare an emergency" option grants you a straight in approach.

Thanks!

Will this help me learn proper carrier comms with friends on SRS?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

If you are doing it proper (zipline) you don't use comms :)
That's only if there is no other traffic, afaik.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Sounds like you didn’t add the sound file to the .miz file

No, the files are there. But now I'm thinking I forgot to add a trigger for "Mission start" to tie in to the script.

I'll have to go back and double check.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

That's only if there is no other traffic, afaik.

Nope, its called a Zipline, CASE I, everyone gets their position in the stack from marshall, and from that point on says nothing, just eyes out, and unless someones charlie time needs to be changed, arrive on deck at charlie, no comms required.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Dumb question maybe..... what does it mean to fly through the groove? I cant fix it if I dont know what it is...

Thanks for any help.

The groove is when you go wings level (on final) after the approach turn. I suggest:

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

Nope, its called a Zipline, CASE I, everyone gets their position in the stack from marshall, and from that point on says nothing, just eyes out, and unless someones charlie time needs to be changed, arrive on deck at charlie, no comms required.

Alright. So, the only time a pilot would talk would be when he requests for either single or section in the stack, once within 10nm? He gets his Angel #, and when he hears someone get signal charlie, he drops down an angel in the stack (on the downwind section of the orbit, right?). When he's at the bottom of the stack, and he gets signal charlie, he breaks downwind and enters the pattern. But the carrier/LSO would still talk the pilot in, cleared for break, (I recall an abeam call), and guidance in the groove. Right?

Edited by Magic Zach

Thanks, I iunderstand the grove, actually I mis-spoke. I meant "through the glideslope". referring to the (\) or (/) I get quite often in my grade report.

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for my misleading question.

The glideslope is the beam on the ICLS which comes up at 3 degrees. To fly through it means you were either high and went low or the opposite, low and flew high.

Hope that helps.

Alright. So, the only time a pilot would talk would be when he requests for either single or section in the stack, once within 10nm? He gets his Angel #, and when he hears someone get signal charlie, he drops down an angel in the stack (on the downwind section of the orbit, right?). When he's at the bottom of the stack, and he gets signal charlie, he breaks downwind and enters the pattern. But the carrier/LSO would still talk the pilot in, cleared for break, (I recall an abeam call), and guidance in the groove. Right?

So, unless in training, typically what happens is,

From what I remember from my research when making my CASE I recovery video and all the talks with navy pilots I had... and without finding my notes is this.

• Call in to marshal outside the 10nm bubble
  • Marshal gives you BRC, and stack # to hold (holding altitude can be calculated from your stack #, so stack 2 would be angles 3000, since the base is 2000 where stack 1 would be)
  • You get to your max E speed (250 KIAS) and at your assigned altitude before entering the bubble
  • Once there you enter the bubble and proceed to enter marshal stack, once in the stack you visually watch the ships below you
  • If the person at stack 1 pushes for charlie, you descend between position 3 and 1 of the holding pattern (positions are 1,2,3,4 starting at the boat and moving counter clockwise every 90 degrees, you descend 3->1 and ascend if necessary 1->3)
  • Proceed to approach from stack 1 at proper time.

Typically you should have a rough idea how how long it takes for you to get to the approach pattern, and perform it, so given charlie time of 35, and lets say it takes you 5 minutes to get on deck from marshal 1, you can assume to push at 30. But you are also watching to make sure you are de-conflicted with everyone else.

This whole process is called zip-line, its as COMMS free as possible, only use COMMS when a problem comes up . Typically there are no COMMS from the LSO as well, unless you request them (having issues) or the LSO spots trouble and is trying to help you not smash into something, someone, foul deck... etc.

LSO typically says nothing outside of training, or shitty weather visibility situations. The assumption is, you know what you are doing and unless they spot something unsafe they will not talk to you. Now, that said, if you bolter, the next time around they might give you a couple words to just kind of, reassure you as you approach, and with each consecutive bolter they might increase the amount of help jsut because you obviously are having issues.

(anyone more qualified feel free to correct anything I've said... again, all from memory from interviews and discussions from pilots)

(positions are 1,2,3,4 starting at the boat and moving counter clockwise every 90 degrees, you descend 3->1 and ascend if necessary 1->3)

I don't understand

I don't understand

My awful paint skillz (its 5nm diameter not radius)

attachment.php?attachmentid=198955&stc=1&d=1543527240

Does that help?

Here is the carrier quals version (official)

attachment.php?attachmentid=198957&stc=1&d=1543527419

Untitled.jpg.00afacf64584657e2f22c6a22ff29b13.jpg

Capture.PNG.82270559748a80edc8af0613b2618e38.PNG

Edited by Jabbers_

Ah yes, that does help!

Thanks!