Gun vibration & standby compass - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
eaglecash867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra99 View Post
Ok now the Million Dollar question...what is "Clean Compass Fluid"? We always called them Whiskey Compasses...but I doubt that's what they are filled with now.

Great explanation.
Its an isoalkane, and the used compass fluid I found makes a great brush cleaner for enamel model paints. Its also great at removing every last bit of oil and moisture in the skin on your hands, so you have to wear gloves when filling the compass, or walk around with ghost white hands the rest of the day. As far as that goes, you should go with vinyl gloves instead of the usual latex. The isoalkanes break down latex pretty quickly. I generally haven't done compass overhauls in a really long time. The parts cost and time involved isn't cost effective any more for something that costs about 200 bucks brand new. We generally just replace the compass. If you move the compensator from the old one to the new one, compass swings usually go pretty quickly. If you manage to get a compass where the seals last long enough, over time, the isoalkane will start getting a brownish tint to it, so it will even start to look like whiskey. I think it might even be fermenting in there, because when it turns brown it starts to smell pretty bad.

Here's an MSDS for the stuff if anybody is interested in that kind of thing.

https://www.mach-dynamics.com/sds/sds_712392632607.pdf
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, ZOTAC GTX1080Ti AMP Extreme 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, and Oculus Rift CV1.

Last edited by eaglecash867; 11-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Mule

I saw this video the other day and noticed the compass thing. I though, naaaah no one will pick that up and ask for that to be implemented knowing how much detail some people demand in this thing we do and here I am seeing it on this forum. Ha ha ha words fail me.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
eaglecash867

It was a misunderstanding of a pretty significant visual event going on in that cockpit. The OP appears to be satisfied with the explanation of what was going on, and others who were interested gained some real world insight. The video made me curious about whether or not vibration effects on the compass are modeled, and they are. The compass card moves the appropriate amount with gun vibration, for a properly filled compass. Its not something everybody is interested in, but I'm sure those people just said to themselves "I have no interest in that" and silently moved on to other topics they do have an interest in.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, ZOTAC GTX1080Ti AMP Extreme 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
Its an isoalkane, [...]
Another great explanation, thank you very much!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Very cool!

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote