Another newbie... with questions

Hi DearAll,

I’m coming fromFSX/X-plane and RW aviation to DCS and still on the very beginning of a steeplearning curve.

To tell youfrankly, I transferred to DCS just to fly its famous helicopters (not to fight battles, sorry) ...and yes,what a fantastic job these dev guys done with the MI-8! Simply amazing, thesystem details the flying characteristics, the immersion!

After acouple of circuits, hovers, pedal turns and some (not all) successful landingsI would have some initial questions, partly technical, partly DCS related:

• What is the (engine and APU) “FALSESTART” function? In western technology I’m familiar with a normal startupand engine motoring (cold start) but I could not figure out this one.
  • How on earth can I adjust cargo load? There isa slider in MISSION PLANNING page but is not functional. It would be importantto practice/experiment with various gross weight/environmental conditions.
  • Is the MI-8 really so sensitive toVRS? With that lagging VSI I have to pay extra attention to approaches andlandings and many times I fail. An RW MI-8 pilot’s opinion would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Tamas

• Like 1

1. IRC - This is technically same procedure as normal start, but without actual fuel injection. It's used after maintenance and\or to clear fuel out of engine in case of failed normal start (to prevent fire and such).

3. Seems like it really is. JetSeat will help you greatly in this. Aside it is great product after all.

Всех убью, один останусь!

Many thanks guys for the extremly quick replies. I appologize, I don't know what's happened to my text formating in my original post.

Necroscope: thank you for the technical explanation, it is clear now.

Weta43: You are spot on I just realized that I have to adapt to the VSI scale and its resolution.

Still don't know how to load my cargo.

Cheers,

This module was developed by Belorussian studio, so their manuals and cockpit tooltip translations are sometimes a bit "Engrish", but in most cases you should figure out what means what.

Don't know about internal cargo though, I've just noticed that indeed, the weight window seems to non-functional. Don't remember if that was always the case, or something got bugged recently.

But strictly for takeoff weight practice, you've got plenty of work-around options to choose from in the mission editor - changing fuel load, removing all armour/hardpoints/exhaust supressors/doors, or the other way around - taking six GP bombs or rocket pods (that will get you heavy allrigh!). Don't hesitate to fiddle with temps as well - DCS models density altitude nicely - enough to keep you busy on hot and humid days.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Many thanks guys for the extremly quick replies. I appologize, I don't know what's happened to my text formating in my original post.

Necroscope: thank you for the technical explanation, it is clear now.

Weta43: You are spot on I just realized that I have to adapt to the VSI scale and its resolution.

Still don't know how to load my cargo.

Cheers,

Are you talking about sling load cargo or setting an internal cargo weight. The first is fairly well covered with youtube video's and the 2nd is possible with the use of a trigger in the mission editor :)

Feel free to ask anything you want, there are some very knowledgeable types around here

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll expand on #1.

There are three possible start types...

Normal start. This one is obvious, it's a normal start.

False start. Like normal, but no spark/ignition. Fuel *is* introduced into the combustion chamber, it just doesn't light off because the igniters don't function. Also called wet motoring.

Crank. No fuel and no spark, just a dry motoring of the engine.

The APU has switch positions on the start control panel for all three, Start, False Start, and Crank. The engine start control panel only has Start and Crank. To do a False Start with the engines, you just introduce fuel using the overhead fuel shutoffs above the pilot while doing a Crank.

EDIT: Another clarification on the VSI. In the U.S. we use feet per minute, so this may be what you are used to. 4 meters per second is almost 800 feet per minute. All the pilots I know do not exceed about 300 feet per minute once below ETL airspeed, which is equal to 1.5 meters per second roughly. I've only been in VRS once in an Mi-8 that was on accident and I would prefer not to do it again. Very rare as long as the pilots are competent.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

Many thanks guys for the interesting/useful inputs.

Getting accustomed to the VSI now, my landings improved a lot, more or less I'was able to land where I planned. I still have to practice my pickups, they are ugly. It's hard to find the neutral position of my collective (Pro Flight Trainer).

Another question: Is the OAT gage on the copilot window modelled? My one always shows abround 20C regardless of my weather setting.

Cheers, (excellent community!),

Tamas

Is the OAT gage on the copilot window modelled?

It is and works on my end at least. If yours is not working, you might've hit a rare bug or something - hard to say since I don't know the situation.

But anyway, welcome to DCS! The BST Mi-8 is IMO the best helo sim ever made for any platform, so I think you made a wise choice there mate :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Thank you msalama. Yes, the OAT gauge (FAT in MI-8 terminology- you can see that I'm learning quickly) is working. I did not realize that when I'm setting the temp to 26C in the mission planner it is related to sea level at DCS. My airport, Nellis AFB has an elevation of around 1800 feet, so thats the difference what I saw on the gage!

Still need help to set my internal load. Someone suggested to set it by using triggers. Oh man, it is very complicated! DCS manual has 30 pages plus to discuss triggers. It is overwhelming. Can anyone help me with a simple guide?

Cheers,

Tamas

I am also fairly novice with the big 8, but I do believe the hover indicator on the pilot's upper right console has a radar VSI. It updates faster than the barometric VSI. It is the scale in the left side of the gauge.

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Thank you msalama. Yes, the OAT gauge (FAT in MI-8 terminology- you can see that I'm learning quickly) is working. I did not realize that when I'm setting the temp to 26C in the mission planner it is related to sea level at DCS. My airport, Nellis AFB has an elevation of around 1800 feet, so thats the difference what I saw on the gage!

Still need help to set my internal load. Someone suggested to set it by using triggers. Oh man, it is very complicated! DCS manual has 30 pages plus to discuss triggers. It is overwhelming. Can anyone help me with a simple guide?

Cheers,

Tamas

Here is a mission for you to look at in the editor. It sets cargo at 4000 Kg's with FAT @35 C. A rolling take off is required. Deliver spare parts to Nellis, And watch your power settings:megalol:

Mi-8MTV2 Internal Cargo.miz

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]