Contact ATC before engine start

zal

During cold starts, I'm trying to contact tower for engine start permission, but I'm unable to do it. I switch to radio and enter the correct frequency, but it seems that only after switching the generators, rectifiers and some of the switches in the triangular panels, radio may work properly.

Hence the question: has anybody determined the correct sequence to contact ATC prior to engine start?

Thanks!

Up to 1.2.6 I got the radio working by turning on the batteries, inverters, two CBs (command radio and I think intercom? Second and fourth one in the top right row...) and switching the intercom/radio switch to radio. I can check if that still applies in 1.2.7 once I'm home...

Ok, I think I got this. The procedure I explained above (plus dialing the right channel of course) worked in 1.2.6, but it doesn't work in 1.2.7. In order to use the radio in 1.2.7, in addition to the above steps, you need to either:

1) ask the ground crew to connect external power and switch External DC Power to on,

or

2) turn on the APU, then the emergency generator, then the "equipment test" mode,

or

3) turn on the standby rectifier (the switch is on the center console, protected by a red cap),

or

4) turn on the engines and the generators (that of course defeats the purpose of asking for startup clearance...).

I'm not sure this is working as intended, maybe AlphaOneSix or one of the other resident Mi-8 experts could shed some light? Anyway, one extra tip. In front of the R-863 dialer there are three switches, the rightmost is the squelch. Turn it off and you'll hear static when the radio receives power - useful for experimenting with the electrics ;).

• Like 1

Anyone had problems with this with the most recent updates?

I've just picked up the Mi-8, and even following the above steps, I can't get the ATC to respond to me.

However, once I fire up the engines without clearance, I can hear ATC giving me "retroactive permission", so it seems the radio is on and working. It just seems that they cannot hear me - despite the fact that both the pilot/captain and navigator radio controls are set to radio.

Anyone else having this issue? Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

Edited by Vedexent

The most recent update fixed the bug requiring one of the solutions I listed. Now all you have to do is turn on the batteries, the 115V inverter, the radio and intercom CBs, tune the radio to the right frequencies and switch the ICS/RADIO switch to radio. I tried it yesterday and it worked for me.

One thing I'm probably doing differently than most people is I switch the inverter to "manual on" (instead of "auto") until I have the generators online. I'm using a checklist provided by a Mi-17 pilot and that's what it calls for. I don't know if that's making a difference.

Ok, I got my permission. Here's my translation. The checklist is "quick and dirty", the author said he'll try to post a proper one if he finds time.

STARTING UP THE Mi-17

1. Batteries to on - DC voltmeter to battery bus

2. Ground power on - DC voltmeter to ground power

3. Turn on R-863

4. Turn on the 6 CB rows, lights as needed, beacon light (mayak)

5. Turn the PO-500 inverter into manual mode, AC voltmeter to 115V

6. Rotor brake off, left correction, condition levers to middle position - locked

7. Turn DIM transformer switch to main

8. Check fuel quantity, set fuelmeter to service tank

9. Turn on the fuel pumps, open fuel fire shutoff valves, turn on the fire suppression system

10. Turn on CBs third left or right, check backup hydraulics, turn on main hydraulics

11. Turn on AI-9V

- spool up under 9s

- max temp: 880°C up to 20s

- idle in up to 30s

- idle max temp: 720°C

- up to 30 minutes of continuous operation permitted

- warm up time up to 1 min

12. Perform IV-500 and 2Ya6 Ground tests, check backup DIM transformer

13. Turn on TV3-117MT engines:

- AI-9 max temp: 750°C

- at 45% RPM oil pressure above 1kg/cm2

- check "engine start" light off and RPM at 65% within 30s

- RPM at 73+6 within 60s

- max temp: 780°C

- rotor RPM at 40 - 45% with one engine on and 55-77% with both on

- turn PZU on once engine reaches idle

- warm up time 1 min

14. Turn off ground power

ENGINES RUNNING, LEFT CORRECTION

1. Turn on the AI-9 generator and check voltage (27V) and current (up to 100A) on STG-3, turn on "equipment test"

2. Perform hydraulics, RI-65 and 2Ya6 Air tests, check flasher

3. Note parameters

4. Do a partial acceleration test of the engines

5. Test RPRs 91.5±2.5%=118%±2.5 (no idea?)

RIGHT CORRECTION

1. Turn off "equipment test"

2. Turn off AI-9 generator (cool down: 30 - 60s)

3. Turn on SGS-40PU generator, voltmeter to generators, turn on rectifiers

4. Set the 115V and 36V inverters to auto mode

5. Give command to turn on navigation equipment

6. Turn on flasher, mayak, flares, set the DISS-15 to "work" mode

7. SPU U-52 test

8. Check the readjustment (перенастройка ?) of the main rotor

9. PZU test (startup 20 - 40s, temp rise 10 - 15 C)

10. Check 204V generators and 115V transformer

11. In winter, test the anti-ice system, turn on the KO-50 (main rotor 60 - 72A, tail rotor 110 - 150A, PZU 65 - 120A, windshields 40 - 120A)

Note that the engines in the checklist are TV3-117MTs and our birds have TV3-117VMs - so the temps etc. will be different. I may have mistranslated a thing or two, don't be too harsh ;).

Edited by lmp

You're right, I don't know where I got the idea it was the lights test... I corrected it in my previous post.

Anyway, mayak is mentioned twice in the original checklist - 4th point of the first part of the checklist and the 6th point of the third part. It's not my translation error this time.

Hello,

7. Turn DIM transformer switch to main

I've need a little question for IMP, please can you explan to me where i can found this switch in my cockpit ?

A great thanks in advance for your help, best regards. Skull

• 3 years later...

the radios need some time to warm up, and you must connect ground power Аеродром генерат. set the sundry electrical switch up Оборуд , set the rectifiers off and set 115 inverter to manual up and 36 inverter to middle position. Also turn on AC generator switch between generator 1,2 switches and 115/36 inverter switches until you hear a faint teeeeeet then you wait about 4 mins for radios to warm then tune freaks into the autopilot Команд РС panel, then set the switch to squelch пш once you hear squelch, depress switch back to non пш then depress radio switch on stick and contact ATC WHILE HOLDING it. Do not let go especially if no easy comms selected while transmitting. Wait one second after pffft from your side then release.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

^ Whoa, slow down. You mean in real life and "by the book"? Cause in DCS you don't need to do any of that :D.

Batteries on, radio circuit breakers on (radio and AM/FM switch are already on by default), select frequency, push the radio button/key once (no need to hold it at all, at least not on Warthog) and that's it.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ Whoa, slow down. You mean in real life and "by the book"? Cause in DCS you don't need to do any of that :D.

Batteries on, radio circuit breakers on (radio and AM/FM switch are already on by default), select frequency, push the radio button/key once (no need to hold it at all, at least not on Warthog) and that's it.

I like to complicate things. :lol:

Anyways yours is valid too, just a bit off manual procedure but thats OK :joystick:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.