Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

We don't know if Ugra developed the Syria map with 'lessons learned' from Normandy and have vastly improved on what they were able to achieve in terms of optimization for it. Personally, I will get Syria as soon as it's available due to the interesting theater of war, giving them the benefit of doubt that they have improved as map developers compared to what they have achieved with Normandy...

I would assume that they have made great improvements based on lessons learned and it will incorporate all of the improvements ED has made to the engine. It is a fantastic theater with great potential and I would really love to fly on this map.

Unfortunately it is the proven track record of no customer support that will keep me from purchasing the map until they make some attempt to prove that they will be responsive. The map may be the best one available but what happens as ED introduce technological improvements? Will UGRA update the map to incorporate those improvements? Their track record so far and their silence on the official forums says no and ED has repeatedly stated that it is not their responsibility and it is up to the third party to make updates to their product.

I live in dread of finding out that when ED introduce Vulkan that the Normandy map will be broken and will not be fixed.

I know many of you are frustrated but just hang on a little bit longer, might be some news coming on this.

Intriguing. Fingers crossed!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I would assume that they have made great improvements based on lessons learned and it will incorporate all of the improvements ED has made to the engine. It is a fantastic theater with great potential and I would really love to fly on this map.

Unfortunately it is the proven track record of no customer support that will keep me from purchasing the map until they make some attempt to prove that they will be responsive. The map may be the best one available but what happens as ED introduce technological improvements? Will UGRA update the map to incorporate those improvements? Their track record so far and their silence on the official forums says no and ED has repeatedly stated that it is not their responsibility and it is up to the third party to make updates to their product.

I live in dread of finding out that when ED introduce Vulkan that the Normandy map will be broken and will not be fixed.

I'm sorry to say this is another example of what happens when ED don't have sufficient control of its 3rd parties, as with the Hawk. Hopefuly this will have a better outcome. We know ED have changed their approach for the future and perhaps UGRA will respond better to that. (I didn't even know it was a 3rd party item)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• ED Team

Free Normandy Map Update Coming

In May 2017, Urga Media released their DCS: Normandy 1944 map for DCS World. The map focused on the landing beaches of Normandy and points south to encompass the breakout period in June 1944. The entire map also includes portions of southern England and areas outside the landing and breakout area to the south at a lower level of detail. The total map size is 267 x 348 kilometers and includes many period specific buildings, bridges, vehicles, windmills, and other objects that populate the map. This has been the ideal map for World War II combat and even low-altitude helicopter flying.

Since the release and a large update to this map, Urga Media has been very busy to two primary items: The DCS: Syria map and another large, free, update to the Normandy map!

This free Normandy map update will include the following:

• Improved quality of ground textures (fields and urban areas).
  • Improved quality of the noise textures. This will be particularly evident at low altitudes.
  • Improved quality of the coastline, both in Normandy and along the English coast.
  • Processing of fields and city vector data to use new DCS World terrain technologies.
  • Improved quality of the rivers and lakes.
  • Improved quality of roads.
  • Increased the number of unique objects and scenes.
  • Optimization and improved the look of the trees and forests.
  • Optimization of map for virtual reality performance.

We have no planned release date at this time.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Sounds good! :)

Quick question:

This free Normandy map will include the following:

I'm guessing that lacked the word "This free Normandy map update will include..."?

• Optimization and improved the look of the trees and forests.

Does that mean Speedtree?

What about the other question Yurgon asked - about SpeedTree.

Thanks.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Good to hear that Urgra is aiming to match the ED quality standard then - thanks. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That’s excellent news!

Guess I’ll be putting Syria back on the shopping trolley

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Great news especially about the various performance updates!

I would have been too tempted to skip the Syria map anyway, but this makes the decision a lot easier :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

NineLine, thank you for the fantastic news. The rumors that Ugra had no plans to work on Normandy until after Syria release were deeply troubling and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a massive sense of relief to hear they are actively working on it. I actually feel borderline elated after reading your post. =)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I don’t have the normandy map or any wwii ac. If I buy the map, can I fly the a-10 or any modern ac on it?

Yes, you can fly any aircraft on any map.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Theoretically you can, but you would need to fly instant action or create your own missions. I am not sure if the a-10 can use the airfields on this map.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Theoretically you can, but you would need to fly instant action or create your own missions. I am not sure if the a-10 can use the airfields on this map.

Not really any different in that respect to some other modules, and yes, the A-10 can use the airfields in Normandy. (I haven't tried them all, but certainly the ones I have tried are OK).

I don’t have the normandy map or any wwii ac. If I buy the map, can I fly the a-10 or any modern ac on it?

Yes, but just be aware that many WWII airfields are short and rough by modern jet standards.

There are only three paved airfields on the map: Evreux, Carpiquet and Tangmere (each of which has a maximum runway length of 1650 metres).

That said, we have flown the Hornet, C-101, Harrier, A-10C and Viggen on this map a few times, although we have gone back to Caucusus due to the performance problems.

There are only three paved airfields on the map: Evreux, Carpiquet and Tangmere

Good point!

In addition, there are absolutely no modern nav-aids available on the Normandy map. So even with a mission date so to the modern age (say, 2019), there are no TACAN, ILS, RSBN, NDB, VOR stations or anything of that kind. The map was built to reflect 1944 or 1945, after all.

Still, I think it's a beautiful map, and when I fly the A-10C there (which is very occasionally), I tend to enjoy it quite a bit.

By now, there are also a few instant action missions for many modules, so that there is indeed a fair bit of content available out of the box. However, I would not expect any major modern jet campaigns ever taking place there; jet pilots don't necessarily have the map, and the map doesn't support them all that well, so I guess it's rather unlikely to ever see something like The Enemy Within on Normandy. Then again, you never know what strange ideas campaign authors come up with when they have too much spare time on their hands... :music_whistling:

Well, with just a rudimentary knowledge of how the Mission Editor works you can stick an Aircraft Carrier or LHD in the channel for the Hornet and Harrier folks, also if you MUST have modern navigation put Tankers with TACANS over important airfields on short racetracks.

Edited by Rakkis
word flow