in cockpit flyby sounds

this bugs me now for the last two years...the way you can make out other ww2 fighters(ture for all planes i assume though) in your surrounding, behind you, approaching you,flying by, just by listening to the others engines while running at full power settings yourself is rather implausible...

as it is now, its a cheat in my view.

Agree, the default cockpit and external sound volumes (which sound is heard over whichother sound) should be reworked. Diveplanes sound mods do a good job in this respect though

This is even more cheater if you install some mods, like P-51D Audio production... I can hear that more than my Actual engine... It's horrible. Anyway, DCS needs a lot of things to be a WWII simulator.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, sound of an enemy plane should be possible only from very close proximity, making it almost only possible to hear when going with head on pass or if someone is wing to wing with you.

I think that the biggest issue is with Diveplane's mods. He would have to make the sound quieter. With those mods I was able to hear a mustang approaching even I was unable to see him. And you can realy well hear how engine power is changing in an enemy plane, making attempts to provoke overshooting almost impossible as the enemy always knows your engine settings. :(

Check this video as an example.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I agree, sound of an enemy plane should be possible only from very close proximity, making it almost only possible to hear when going with head on pass or if someone is wing to wing with you.

I think that the biggest issue is with Diveplane's mods. He would have to make the sound quieter. With those mods I was able to hear a mustang approaching even I was unable to see him. And you can realy well hear how engine power is changing in an enemy plane, making attempts to provoke overshooting almost impossible as the enemy always knows your engine settings. :(

Check this video as an example.

I quit using Diveplane's mods for pretty much that reason alone and it really is cheating to use them because it gives the one being hunted or attacked quite the unfair advantage. The gun sounds were awful from external planes(P-51) also so I've completely removed them. If the engine sounds were toned down slightly and all external sounds removed I'd start using them again.

We've heard over and over from WWII pilots that they couldn't hear anything else and I asked my stepfather's dad who was a rear gunner in a B-24 who confirmed the same thing. Even though he was sitting in a position as far as you could get from the engines he couldn't hear anything outside the plane. Imagine practically sitting on the engine in a small fighter ... hopefully this gets addressed with Edge along with the gun smoke bugs.

I quit using Diveplane's mods for pretty much that reason alone and it really is cheating to use them because it gives the one being hunted or attacked quite the unfair advantage. The gun sounds were awful from external planes(P-51) also so I've completely removed them. If the engine sounds were toned down slightly and all external sounds removed I'd start using them again.

We've heard over and over from WWII pilots that they couldn't hear anything else and I asked my stepfather's dad who was a rear gunner in a B-24 who confirmed the same thing. Even though he was sitting in a position as far as you could get from the engines he couldn't hear anything outside the plane. Imagine practically sitting on the engine in a small fighter ... hopefully this gets addressed with Edge along with the gun smoke bugs.

I agree, and it is a shame. Sometimes I am flying and one of my friends that has it enabled is like: "There is P-51 near us". This realy breakes the immersion and as I said, it is realy easy to aviod beeing B&Zed due to that factor. It is sad, because they are realy good quality, but much too loud. :noexpression:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Doesn't this resolve the issue globally?

Is there a single config entry I can use to increase the sound proofness of a cockpit (make other planes inaudible or close to inaudible for me)?

yes there is and its in config folder.

sound .LUA

look for lines example below

-- set up cockpit types

sound['cockpit_world'] = {

['FW-190D9'] = { gain = 0.1, lowpass = 3000 },

the entry gain = 0.1 i found out makes the cockpits just audible and no more very realistic in ww2 planes.

increasing gain setting will make all external noises louder in pit.

the 0.1 setting will be the new setting in my new updates.

So try gain = 0.02.

As for gain. From my experiments in BoB2 WoV with a sound mod the low-pass filter for in-cockpit sound should be a lot lower than 3000. More like 900.

But I agree, since it's unrealistic AND a potential cheating method it should be tweaked and set by ED.

Edited by Bucic