shivkal at night

thrustvector

ok may have missed this one, so if its in the manual please point me too the page,

just used one of my own missions to fly around and test fire, but its at night, didn't think much of that at first, till I went to use my HMS, low and behold, I got a really nice NVG instead, very good vision actually.

but I could not, with or without the NVGs see a thing in the shivkal,?

is there a night mode in this or how without sitting on top of my tgt do I see them?

thanks for help :)

The Shkval is a DAY TV. It is 200% better than it was in BlackShark1, it use to be pure black at night. Just adjust your brightness/contrast until you get a decent picture. Still it's extremely hard to get a lock on anything.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Yup it takes quite some faffery with brightness and contrast, but you can get a usable picture at night. There are a few night missions in the Ka-50 campaign(-s), and that's where I learned how to do it.

It will likely be a lot better with the new IR technology ED is develloping.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Hi,

Depending on time, HMS may be automatically replaced by NVG as helmet feature. You still have the choice to choose one or another by asking the ground crew.

As for the Skhval, as said before it is a day optic sight. There have already been many discussions about that point but it seems ED will not offer a Ka-50 N (or Sh in Russian) version. I use a mod kindly developed by a user which increases the maximum contrast (as far as I remember) of the Skhval. It allows to get a kind of FLIR view and it is quite efficient (when you can manage to lock the target...).

Hi,

Depending on time, HMS may be automatically replaced by NVG as helmet feature. You still have the choice to choose one or another by asking the ground crew.

As for the Skhval, as said before it is a day optic sight. There have already been many discussions about that point but it seems ED will not offer a Ka-50 N (or Sh in Russian) version. I use a mod kindly developed by a user which increases the maximum contrast (as far as I remember) of the Skhval. It allows to get a kind of FLIR view and it is quite efficient (when you can manage to lock the target...).

:thumbup:. The Ka-50 we have in DCS does not have night attack capabilities :) The brighness/contrast trick with Shkval is basically a cheat :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

. The Ka-50 we have in DCS does not have night attack capabilities :) The brighness/contrast trick with Shkval is basically a cheat :)
I did not say anything else... It is up to you if you prefer not to be able to perform night missions just because ED do not care anymore about making the module evolve to the existing night version (I do not ask for a Ka-52)

just because ED do not care anymore about making the module evolve to the existing night version

Now that's a bit harsh... Do we expect every module of a very specific lot/version to "evolve" as well, then?

Do you demand a MiG-21 Bison/Lancer instead of the current Bis?

Do you demand an F-5T Tigris instead of our F-5E-3?

Do you demand a Mirage 2000-5 instead of our current -C?

Do you demand a Super Hornet block III instead of the C-model lot 20 we'll get?

Do you demand the latest software the A-10C currently uses IRL?

Etc etc...

There are very good reasons why that doesn't happen. I am perfectly happy with an older specific version of an aircraft that is stable and feature-complete.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

hehe, now now boys :), I know its off topic but rather than new thread, are the Logitech.saitek pro pedals ok, the ones with the centre tensioner? or do I need to look for something else, I have bad knees....and hips, so really need ones that aren't too upright

That's what I use and they are working great!

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

:thumbup:. The Ka-50 we have in DCS does not have night attack capabilities :) The brighness/contrast trick with Shkval is basically a cheat :)

I almost always fly at night in Ka-50.

I fly MP 99% of the time, various servers, either map.

My PC is a Dell Alienware Aurora custom build since 2011, modded with hardware updates over the years.

My Alienware monitor has built-in color adjustments to play with for better viewing.

Try this mod :

=========

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3403735&postcount=343

It's installation how-to :

===============

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3404707&postcount=362

The new 2.5 NVG (night vision goggles is BIG improvement)! And the Huey uses the same NVG type.

The original real-life manufacturer must be making a ton of cash outfitting both the US and Russian copters. Have not checked out A-10 or Su-25T, yet. Using identical NVGs !! ??? LOL!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now that's a bit harsh... Do we expect every module of a very specific lot/version to "evolve" as well, then?

Do you demand a MiG-21 Bison/Lancer instead of the current Bis?

Do you demand an F-5T Tigris instead of our F-5E-3?

Do you demand a Mirage 2000-5 instead of our current -C?

Do you demand a Super Hornet block III instead of the C-model lot 20 we'll get?

Do you demand the latest software the A-10C currently uses IRL?

Etc etc...

There are very good reasons why that doesn't happen. I am perfectly happy with an older specific version of an aircraft that is stable and feature-complete.

There is the Modding Forum...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at the central, lower console, in front of the stick.

The Brightness and Contrast rotary dials are there.

A cheat? How so?

Maybe learn how to use the system...

I have no problem hitting locked targets at night even beyond the supposedly 8K maximum range.

Look up Cooper. Think he now goes by F99th Cooper, he flies in MP, with the F99th guys. He is the best Ka-50 jock I have come across. Also see his YouTube videos how-tos .

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

________________GOOGLE : Night Vision Goggles Use and History of Development

I know the Huey pilots had them in 'Nam , though, then in their infancy as 1st generation product as to their development echelon.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/seeing-dark-history-night-vision-180963357/

Wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision_device

-+-

re:

==

https://www.google.com/search?q=night+vision+goggles+use+and+history+of+development&rlz=1C1BOHD_enUS487US526&oq=night+vision+goggles+use+and+history+of+development&aqs=chrome..69i57.35199j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As to Ka-50 as a night fighter ?

Just depends how extensive a search you want to do. The info is out there.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=286

Remember, OUR Ka-50 was a single issued prototype! (I think this statement is true. I may be wrong. Need to do a better search on this topic.)

Search for "night" within this article : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hehe, now now boys :), I know its off topic but rather than new thread, are the Logitech.saitek pro pedals ok, the ones with the centre tensioner? or do I need to look for something else, I have bad knees....and hips, so really need ones that aren't too upright

I am age 66.

You are more "battle damaged" than me; but I usually hurt pretty good.

Been using the CH Products Rudder Pedals almost 10 years >>> the original set! (tamper seal is still intact!) Paid around $100 new, then.

Problem with the pain meds is it messes up my head!! I can't play the sim doped up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at the central, lower console, in front of the stick.

The Brightness and Contrast rotary dials are there.

A cheat? How so?

Maybe learn how to use the system...

Take it easy :thumbup:

The brightness, contrast controls will not make it up for a proper night vision device. Nor it will make the day light sensors work in LLTV-IR spectrum.

Note that real CCD device work in a different way than a computer graphics - where increasing the brighness, well just makes the things visible instead of starting to show a screen with more noise.

While Ka-50 is a great chopper, Russia struggled for quite long time with developping a night attack capabilities for their combat choppers. One of the main reason was lack of proper electronics. If I'm correct they started to operate night attack capable Ka-50N at and of 90's and later on Mi-28 after 2000.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

wow, great info guys thank you, I have that mod diehard, but it doesn't work for me on 2.5.

pedals ordered :)

my apologies, mod does work, didt use the corrected folders, like you though I'm not sure about it, think I prefer the standard VAL

Edited by thrustvector