Community WW2 Speed test

Reflected

I was curious and I ran some speed tests on WW2 planes. I would like some other volunteers to post how fast they can go. This is not to prove any points, I'm just curious what you can get out of the same planes I also fly.

Rules:

-15 C

-1013,25 hPa (29.92 Hgin)

-Normandy map, flying parallel to the coast below the cliffs

-IAS as read from the outside view info bar in knots, not from the gauges

-full fuel load except for P-51 (50%)

-Make sure you fly level for long enough to compensate for any excess speed gained from the slightest dive

-Use maximum power and trim to achieve higher speeds

So here are my results:

P-51: 320 kts

Spitfire: 292 kts

109: 316 kts

190: 322 kts

How fast can you go?

There is one main error. You should start by accelerating to the highest speed, not waiting till the speed drops from a dive. Engine heats up at lower speeds and radiators open and do not allow the plane to get faster, but wen you dive down the speed drop is going to be lower because you were cooled for the duration of a dive.

So if it is not standarised and for example you dove in the 109 but accelerated in the 190, then the data skewed in favour of the 109 etc. You also get different results between planes depending on their cooling efficiency.

EDIT: What are the power settings, altitude and all other settings? (radiator position, mixture, air temperature etc.)

Did we get any FM improvements/changes for those planes? I haven't flown for a month following the advice of the moderators to take a break from the game.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I didn't dive during any of the tests. I took off and accelerated just above the waves, below the cliffs. that's all. Max power, rads on auto (otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain this speed for long) These are not official tests, I'm just curious how fast you can go.

OK, cool. Good to know.

BTW you can switch to TAS clicking Shift+ Y or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

A few months back, there was some discussion about a bug exploit that some of the competitive virtual air racers use to get some extra speed out of their virtual aircraft. They were getting speeds higher than you can get using the methods which were used to get max speed IRL.

This needs to be taken into account for the whole standardization thing.

IIRC the statement I read was something like, "I know an exploit to get more speed out of AC-x, but I'm not going to tell anybody what it is".

So if ED does not know what the exploit is, how are they going to fix it?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1