The sierra hotel carrier break. Aggressive TOP GUN trap - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #21
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda967 View Post
While we're nitpicking, I'd like to request that you quit torturing those poor figlets (FFGs) and station them out where they belong. Put a cruiser at the carrier's 170 relative for 1500 yards and leave the FFGs out of the screen.

Trust me...a couple days of tagging along with the carrier and the crews on those FFGs are going to be looking for a change to strangle some airedales.
haha ok ok i'll change it out. u make a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeshow View Post
If someone says "hey this is easier" and then lands with twohundretsomething knots, they should be prepared for the "nitpicking".
ahah fair enough man, I dont mind the nitpicking. helps me spot issues and fix them. by all means anything you see thats a miss, post it, I'd love to become perfect at this stuff.

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #22
christiankirk81

Great effort. Obviously we have a lot of purists in this community so you won't be shortchanged with feedback. I'm glad you're taking them constructively, that's the right attitude

At least you're putting a lot of effort in actually flying the plane and clocking some hours of mastering handling rather than say "this and that doesn't work" when they've obviously need to just put in the time to get better. Which you are doing. so Kudos mate!
i7 6700k@4.7Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus VIII Hero, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB Samsung Evo, Windows 10 64-bit SL, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.
christiankirk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #23
Impact

Can you guess what is missing with this landing?

Last edited by Impact; 06-06-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiankirk81 View Post
Great effort. Obviously we have a lot of purists in this community so you won't be shortchanged with feedback. I'm glad you're taking them constructively, that's the right attitude

At least you're putting a lot of effort in actually flying the plane and clocking some hours of mastering handling rather than say "this and that doesn't work" when they've obviously need to just put in the time to get better. Which you are doing. so Kudos mate!
thanks man I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact View Post

ok, first off, way too much fuel to be landing, he'd need to circle for a while just to dump that fuel, no initial pass, no 180, no 90, no 45, entered goove way to high, AoA way too steep, complete disregard for the ball, and what looked like a hook slap at the end there.

but he's probably just learning. that was me a week ago. he'll learn.

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #25
Eldur

That throttle reaction and how he's running the throttle in the RL footage though. The F404 feels like stone age tech compared to the +10 one
Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #26
Yoda967

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiankirk81 View Post

I completely agree. I may have poked fun at you, but it wasn't for your flying. You're pushing the edges and you deserve credit for that. I bet with a few more passes, you'll nail those Top Gun approaches.
Yoda967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #27
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda967 View Post
I completely agree. I may have poked fun at you, but it wasn't for your flying. You're pushing the edges and you deserve credit for that. I bet with a few more passes, you'll nail those Top Gun approaches.
haha thanks man, no worries I know its all in good fun. and ya I hope so, its always getting easier and easier. and for the record, I changed the ships out haha.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #28
Kazius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact View Post

No flaps, going to watch it again because I think without using flaps you probably have the wrong AoA.

After rewatching, you flared which isn't the normal way to land the F-18, it did give you I think about 12.0+ for AoA, you probably landed a bit fast. I know from my practice runs, with only sidewinders on the wingtips and about 2000lbs fuel, my on speed is around 128-134 area.

Needless to say, good job to everyone. I enjoy the videos and as long as people are enjoying the sim it all good Also if it wasn't for people trying new things, there wouldn't even be a case I recovery, a SH carrier landing, a carrier or an airplane for that matter, so push those boundaries. At least in a sim you can't die seeing if something will work.

Last edited by Kazius; 06-06-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Kazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #29
NevSmith

Funny : I've found out through Carrier Landing Practises in my various sims, that this approach is the fastest method to get on deck quickly - without knowing anything like the creator of this post.

And it makes most fun!

But you've to be very careful with your endspeed. Because the Hornet is capable of bleeding energy very fast - and during lots of attempts to trap like this, I crashed into the aft - just my two cents of experience.

Big thanks to the maker of this post.
NevSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #30
BIGNEWY
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS201 View Post
sorry about that boss. thats deff my bad.

any chance you can put it as "the sierra hotel carrier break" ?
done

and no problem

Tags
carrier landing, f-18, persian gulf