New pilot with p-51, F5, M2k now choosing Hornet, Harrier, or F-14. Advice welcomed.

redmantab

Hello awesome community peeps! About 9 months ago I purchased the p-51, then the F5, and now am enjoying the Mirage 2000 campaigns (VERY well done). I've enjoyed learning from the "old to the new" and love DCS. Even purchased Volair Jet seat / Simshaker and love it all.

I'm planning to purchase my next aircraft. I'm torn. Honestly I'd buy the Harrier, Hornet, and F14 but I learned with the Mirage how long the more "modern" aircraft can take to learn to fly.

If you had to choose one of the planes I mentioned which would it be? Please share any thoughts : )

First off, the Harrier reportedly has the most quality issues and we're not certain if Razbam will be able to fix them in a reasonable time. Then again it's still for a few hours the cheapest module of the 3 with the sale ongoing.

Primarily I'd say the style you most prefer would be a determining factor:

Harrier - air to ground plus the peculiarities of a British VTOL aircraft, avionics is apparently similar to the Hornet but more limited/dated

Hornet - most modern and tons of up to date avionics including HMS, also good in slow high angle of attack flight, capable of both air to ground and air to air (and it's developing very well). In my mind it's the most cookie cutter with the weakest personality, pretty much it's just what a balanced western multirole fighter would look like.

Tomcat - mostly air to air, multicrew and a powerful craft with a weighty avionics package but is most dated of the 3 (and quality/the exact feature details of course are not yet known but Heatblur has a very strong reputation). Most believable to fly for Redfor (Iran) out of the 3 as well.

Interestingly you could do carrier ops with all of the 3. With the Harrier you could fly from a FARP or a forest clearing... Tomcat would be pretty much carrier bound in practice.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I vote for the Hornet, I love it! But that's also because I first would want to see the Jester-AI in action, how it performs, how to control it, etc.

In all honesty I love the more modern planes better. F-14A/B is a fairly old plane.

Thank you for the feedback. Just curious, why do you like the more modern planes better? I can guess, but still....since I'm new perhaps I'm not thinking of points you would make.

Based on responses so far, probably now narrowing this to the F-14 or F-18.

Thank you for the feedback. Just curious, why do you like the more modern planes better? I can guess, but still....since I'm new perhaps I'm not thinking of points you would make.

Based on responses so far, probably now narrowing this to the F-14 or F-18.

Mostly because I like DDI's and MFCD's. Nothing really rational however. Just taste I guess? :)

HA! I've thought about it! But not ready yet.

"DDI's and MFCD's" .... should I google what this means lol?

Nah, no need. The 3 displays in the Hornet. The two on the left and right are called DDI's (Digital Display Indicator, no color), the bottom one MFCD (Multi Function Color Display, color).

The two displays in the A-10C are also MFCD's.

I like displays in aircraft. Don't know why, I just do. :smartass:

Edited by dawgie79

One word of caution.

All 3 you listed are in early access, or in the case of the Tomcat, soon to be in early access. Make sure you understand that means they are not complete, and we have no idea how long it will take them to become complete. If that concerns you at all, then I say get the A-10.

I know you didn't list it but it's a great module if you like mud moving.

If early access doesn't worry you;

If VTOL doesn't excite you, you might want to pass on the AV8. If you take away VTOL it's a slightly faster, less capable A10. Although I find it to be an excellent module, so far.

That leaves you the Tomcat and Hornet.

The Hornet being the most advanced, and multirole is hard to beat, but you know the HB team will be pushing the limits of what DCS can do. Also having the ability to have an AI, or live RIO should be a real kick.

While the Tomcat will have limited ground attack ability, it won't really compare to the Hornet in that respect. If that's what you're interested in, stick with the Hornet.

It boils down to, are you more into AA, or AG? Do you want the most modern aircraft available, or are you good with more dated systems?

In the end, you should get them all. :thumbup:

Yeah... why did you think of the three planes in the first place?

HA! I've thought about it! But not ready yet.

The Huey could be the easiest to learn if you want to have a first taste of helicopters. You have a good deal of options what to mount on the pylons, the door gunners can be tons of fun and you can also perform transport tasks.

The gazelle feels equally easy - more modern and straightforward in some ways, the systems are more advanced but they are very simple to learn. Plus you can choose the easiest of 4 variants (a big upside of this module) if that's an issue. The only big disclaimer is that it's quite lively and may feel twitchy if you're new to helicopters.

Ka-50 is lovely but it's a more complex package for the avionics and armament... all in Russian style although the English cockpit is available out of the box.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Ka-50 is lovely but it's a more complex package for the avionics and armament... all in Russian style although the English cockpit is available out of the box.

Also easiest to fly (for a helicopter) and most capable in blowing stuff up.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The F-14 won’t be anywhere near as easy to fly or operate as the F-18 and will generally be much more capable if you have a friend along for the ride in the back. My vote would be the F-18, it’s already a hoot to fly and will be extremely capable once finished.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Kind of in the same boat as you being a new/old guy to DCS. But I basically have bought all 3 at this point. Currently I'm learning/flying the harrier. The VTOL aspect is challenging from a landing on a ship standpoint but rewarding. It has bugs though. I have limited flown the F18, its easy to fly, and I think I nailed a carrier landing on the 3rd or 4th try. Systems wise its similar to the Harrier but has radar and is more complex in that regard. I think that a transition from the Mirage to the 18 would be fairly straightforward, aside from carrier landings. No comment on the F14 as obviously its not out. Its mainly all about what you are interested in IMO, I've always like the Harriers, so thats where I'm spending my time.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hornet.

Multimission fighter with carrier capability, glass cockpit, straightforward to fly due to fly by wire ( itl prevent you from killing yourself) , but stil a blast to pilot.

Still in early acess but already has some nice tools. Its arguably become the best wvr aircraft due to aim9x and jhmcs. would stillconsider it higher quality than the harrier in its current state. And it would still be an upgrade in capability over the mirage 2000 in bvr due to having fully active radar guided missile option ( aim120)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Like Harlikwin, I went for the Hornet first and it's a challenge to fly properly. It's taken a while to learn to consistently land on the carrier and air-air refueling takes a lot of practice. Regardless, it's a lot of fun and a really satisfying aircraft. I got the F-14 on order simply because I really like that aircraft and it's a carrier based aircraft. I took advantage of the sale an bought the Harrier, and the A-10. I also bought several of the terrains as the deal was too good to pass up. I'm now set with a variety of aircraft that will keep me busy for quite a while. My advice is to get what YOU really like. Have fun.

Well im only a new to DCS but back in the day I had LOMAC so and my first plane was the F18.. it's a blast to fly and the missions are endless. Kill planes tanks and ships land on the CV, refueling is easy and in not to long we will have full SEAD capabilities.. hands down i say get the F18C

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

Thanks everyone! Funny I bought the f-14 and Persian gulf map last night and log in to see all the f 18 (as I expected) recommendations. I'm still flying the M2k Red Flag campaign so I have time.

Basically im going to get both. I'll pick up the f18 soon as well. Just winder which one I'll take the time to learn first. The f14 it f18.

Either way, great options and may as well have both!

In the long run, you'll probably end up getting them all if you're anything like me. At least the modern stuff. Don't be intimidated by any of them. The most you need is the diagram of the hotas from the manuals, the rest of what you need is covered in training missions and a plethora of youtube videos. I find I learn best by just running into situations where I wish I knew how to do something better. That's when i start digging through the manuals.

And the blackshark is by far my favorite helo in the game, the gaz is cool but just doesn't have the range or firepower that the Ka-50 has. I only started flying the huey and the mi-8 because of the DDCS multiplayer server. Slinging crates.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

From what I've seen the F14 will probably raise the bar so high even ED will have a hard time making a module as great as that.

Disclaimer: Im a huge Tomcat fanboy, have been ever since I was a little kid, IMO it's the most beautiful combat aircraft ever made, so take what I say with a few grains of salt ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well "Pokemon" was the thing when I was a "teenager" and therefore you "gotta catch them all!" All modules are worth it (except the Hawk!). Don't go crazy and actually purchase them all at once... just pick a plane, any plane; master it and then pickup another. The learning will never stop and believe me you don't want it to stop.