Explanation for reduced image quality/ resolution in VR?

Charlie-1

Jaggies, reduced FPS, and MSAA to side, I've mentioned the overall image quality for me has reduced with DS on several occasions, but not yet seen an explanation.

When comparing the latest versions to 2.5 DS off, the image now looks more blurry as if PD has been reduced to 0.7 or similar, and increasing PD or SS in Steam VR, doesn't improve.

Are there any explanations for this or any possibility of improving?

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I'd like to know more about this too. I had my VR rig working really nicely prior to the latest updates but now, as you say, sharpness is degraded and overall picture quality has gone backwards to the point where I simply can't get any kind of sweet spot between clarity and smooth performance. It also seems that we have such limited adjustment options as Nvidia Inspector no longer does anything nor does the Nvidia CP.

I know that a lot of people have been complaining about this. I accept the need to move to DS and in 2D it looks really nice. In fact, in 2D I can run everything maxed out and get a silky smooth 60FPS (v/Synced) on all of the maps. VR is horrible though. Stuttery and low frame rates all the way and very little improvement with settings adjustments.

I'm so frustrated with it that I've even dusted off my old Track IR and have reverted to 2D flying for the time being... something I swore I'd never do again. :-(

I really hope that ED have some love left for VR in future updates.

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

I'd like to know more about this too. I had my VR rig working really nicely prior to the latest updates but now, as you say, sharpness is degraded and overall picture quality has gone backwards to the point where I simply can't get any kind of sweet spot between clarity and smooth performance. It also seems that we have such limited adjustment options as Nvidia Inspector no longer does anything nor does the Nvidia CP.

I know that a lot of people have been complaining about this. I accept the need to move to DS and in 2D it looks really nice. In fact, in 2D I can run everything maxed out and get a silky smooth 60FPS (v/Synced) on all of the maps. VR is horrible though. Stuttery and low frame rates all the way and very little improvement with settings adjustments.

I'm so frustrated with it that I've even dusted off my old Track IR and have reverted to 2D flying for the time being... something I swore I'd never do again. :-(

Interesting you are experiencing the same problem, especially with your hardware. I was hoping 2.5.2 would address this issue so wondered if it was just me noticing it. I hope there's a logical explanation and a fix on the way, so in the meantime I've reverted back to 1.58, which on balance is a much better experience, especially in VR also considering night lighting, trees, mountain reflections on the sea etc.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

It just new tech in the new merge and trying to get the engine right first just in general with hundreds of hardware combinations and VR. It's just being turned "generally" across the board. Hopefully then VR option settings will be configured also for hundreds of hardware combinations and different headsets with more coming onto the market. Oh it must be fun programming at this cutting edge level.:cry:

It would be like testing a new prototype aircraft and the engineers messing with it to make (this...?) better, then it messes up this (here...?). This would go on for awhile until you find that good balance, even for an aircraft prototype. That's sort of like Beta software...

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I've reverted back to 1.58, which on balance is a much better experience, especially in VR also considering night lighting, trees, mountain reflections on the sea etc.

Please tell me you've found some tweak or setting that gives you a good night experience in VR. For me, night is very disappointing. The cockpit is good. But outside the terrain is washed out (far too bright), and the sky looks horrible.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Please tell me you've found some tweak or setting that gives you a good night experience in VR. For me, night is very disappointing. The cockpit is good. But outside the terrain is washed out (far too bright), and the sky looks horrible.

I'm sorry, I don't have any magic settings. It's not the best game for night lighting, but IMO 1.58 is not bad at all, especially dusk with HDR on, For me the best VR performance and experience for DCS.