Glasses free 3D using TrackIR

Temp89

giphy.gif

The technique had a surge in interest back when Kinect was released. Tracking a user's head orientation and position combined with warping the geometry being rendered creates a pseudo-3D effect.

It would improve judging aiming and landings due to depth perception as VR players can attest to. Given that TrackIR is most popular amongst simmers there might be a large enough population of those not yet converted to DCS to make it worthwhile. Not to mention the flurry of press coverage you'd get, and with a tech that does well in video form. Tech seems to be low latency going by the video. Also works with web cams.

Edited by Temp89

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

For me, it does ... I think.

If i move my head sideways, parts of the cockpit closer to me are moving more than objects further away. For example in the M2000 - the HUD assembly protudes quite a bit into the cockpit and by moving my head sideways, I can see "around" it, see the side of it and parts of the dashboard that were hidden by the assembly before.

Wouldn't Nvidia 3D Vision have similar affect?

Never tried it so...

They had problems with the HUD logic failing?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Flagrum is right. This is exactly what TrackIR is supposed to do.

I guess in DCS the effect may be less pronounced, because you have a lot of space near infinity (sky, ground at altitude) and relatively low amount of side-motion, therefore less occlusion between different objectss.

Stereoscopic vision would be needed to fill in the gaps, as mentioned by david oc...

Flagrum is right. This is exactly what TrackIR is supposed to do.

What? No, it demonstrably does not.

It requires significant warping of the geometry that would look completely borked to anyone not in the position as the person being tracked.

ssss.png

The result is the same as full stereoscopic 3D.

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

The head movement does not cause much distortion because in our cockpit our head movements are quite restricted - not much change of the virtual eye-point here anyways.

Distortion comes into play if the total FOV is different from what it would be in reality. I.e. if we squeeze a 120 deg. FoV scene into a 27" monitor - which practically can only cover something like 40-50 deg (or so).