Some questions about this plane - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ike View Post
Bad choice. The F-5E is the best and most interesting airplane available to DCS (that is until there will finally be an F-4E), coming from an era when combat aircraft were technologically quite advanced, but not in a 'put the thing on the thing and bang' way. The F-5 is still a pilot's aircraft where you have to fight instead of just locking up, firing, kill.

The only thing that drives me nuts is the way it is trimmed, or rather constantly out of trim. Oscillating between -2000 fpm and +2000 fpm while just looking briefly down in the pit is common in this bird.

Tutorials not being voiced is big minus for me. I already have the F86 and one thing that put me off that (at least for now) is that just keeping it on altitude was very tricky and seem just like your description of an oscillating aircraft. So the F 5E seem not easy to fly.
jfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #12
jwflowersii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfri View Post
Then I think I will pass on this plane
I just purchased this module, and I really enjoy it. Is it as complex as the F-18 no, but it's a great little aircraft that will test you ability as a pilot and requires more piloting skills than the F-18 or newer aircraft. It's a good trainer and quick and easy to get started and up in the air when you're short on time. Landing is a blast as well.
jwflowersii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
jwflowersii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfri View Post
Tutorials not being voiced is big minus for me. I already have the F86 and one thing that put me off that (at least for now) is that just keeping it on altitude was very tricky and seem just like your description of an oscillating aircraft. So the F 5E seem not easy to fly.
I wouldn't say it's difficult to fly, but it doesn't have the Flight Control Systems of the newer aircraft. There is a reason the Air Force uses the T-6 and T-38 to train pilots though because you never know when systems will fail. Also, it's a great plane to play adversary pilot in.
jwflowersii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
000rick000

Not easy to fly? Compared to? This aircraft requires trim input from you, the pilot. It also has a short moment arm and very low aspect ratio wings. Any changes in power are going affect your trim setting. Sounds like you need to adjust your axis curves for starters. That will reduce how touchy the response is Then work on your airmansbip. This plane can fly as precise as you need it to. Just practice practice practice.

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #15
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
Not easy to fly? Compared to? This aircraft requires trim input from you, the pilot. It also has a short moment arm and very low aspect ratio wings. Any changes in power are going affect your trim setting. Sounds like you need to adjust your axis curves for starters. That will reduce how touchy the response is Then work on your airmansbip. This plane can fly as precise as you need it to. Just practice practice practice.

Compared to for example the A10-C which I find much more easy to fly than for example the F86 Sabre
Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
jfri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwflowersii View Post
I wouldn't say it's difficult to fly, but it doesn't have the Flight Control Systems of the newer aircraft. There is a reason the Air Force uses the T-6 and T-38 to train pilots though because you never know when systems will fail. Also, it's a great plane to play adversary pilot in.

Do you have the F86 Sabre ? If so how would it compare to that with regard how easy it is to fly ?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #17
000rick000

Yeah, A-10 is a straight, high aspect ratio wing. Doesn't suffer from any form of roll coupling/Dutch roll. Super stable. Totally different design criteria than the 86 or F5.

Rick
CSEL\CMEL\IFR
Certified Airplane Nut
000rick000 is online now   Reply With Quote