A better zoom veiw in VR - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #11
Harlikwin
Veteran

Well, you seem fine with handicapping VR guys, who already have spotting issues.

And the way to avoid "sickness" in VR is to just have the center FOV magnified as is seen in a VR mod, that breaks every time DCS is updated.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Well, you seem fine with handicapping VR guys, who already have spotting issues.
VR headsets will improve in time. But fine, go ahead and give it a better zoom view, but don’t handicap other players.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Last edited by SharpeXB; 09-11-2019 at 10:16 AM.
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
delevero

The best and "only" way to avoid VR sickness is to make sure you have enough FPS. meaning you need a minimum of 45 on each eye = 90fps in total. The more fps the better.
If you have to low fps this will often result in sickness.

Some vr headsets are worse than others.
Example Ocolus rift its very important with high enough fps to avoid vr sickness, while Pimax 4k and 5k you can play dcs with 30 fps without having a single issue and it show vr perfect anyway.
However the lower the fps, the slower the VR zoom.
Just saying the vr headset used is of big importance in vr sickness.

And in my experience VR zoom is really only usefull for reading things in the cockpit or spotting things on the ground.. In the air i think the distance that other planes are visible are like 8nm-10nm so people who pay via an ordinary monitor have a clear advantage i think.

( i use the ingame dcs fps counter )
delevero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #14
mariner3302

The easiest way to get a better zoom is buy the Reverb!
i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit
mariner3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
But VR is already life sized whereas a monitor’s view isn’t. Fully zoomed in on a desktop sized screen is about 1:1 scale. So monitors don’t have an excessive zoom level. Plus the zoom view is simply trading one advantage for another so it’s self regulating.
A large magnification in VR would probably make people sick anyways.

I don’t think most players would agree on handicapping all the non VR users down to that level.
Sounds like you’ve never experienced the difference in zoom capabilities between a monitor and vr. The difference that it makes to identification is HUGE,and it’s very much in favour of monitor users.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
falcon_120

Both monitor and VR user here. The Zoom option is Hugely in favor of monitor right now, by a wide margin.

It basically let you ID a target from +10/12 mn away. A VR user wont be even close to ID another Aircraft until 4/5 mn. So it is more than double.

Don't know what this handicap this one or the other came from, since it is quite absurd any handicap just because you pick one or other display option, but for sure the VR zoom would love some enhancement, not just to be on par with a monitor but to cut that difference a bit.
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Sounds like you’ve never experienced the difference in zoom capabilities between a monitor and vr. The difference that it makes to identification is HUGE,and it’s very much in favour of monitor users.
Well give VR a bigger magnification then. Don’t take it away from the monitor.

I’m guessing that the way the zoom view works in VR, an analog axis won’t work. It’s not just enlarging a 2D image. VR could have different steps or settings though perhaps.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 09-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #18
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Well give VR a bigger magnification then. Don’t take it away from the monitor.

I’m guessing that the way the zoom view works in VR, an analog axis won’t work. It’s not just enlarging a 2D image. VR could have different steps or settings though perhaps.
Have to say that I don’t really care how they do it, just as long as parity exists, as otherwise multiplayer combat gives a significant advantage to monitor users.
As an example, I’ve been shot down by an enemy plane on the BS server well before being able to identify it.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Have to say that I don’t really care how they do it, just as long as parity exists, as otherwise multiplayer combat gives a significant advantage to monitor users.
As an example, I’ve been shot down by an enemy plane on the BS server well before being able to identify it.
ED isn’t going to reduce or handicap features in the game. Expecting that is pretty unreasonable.

VR tech as it currently exists is a disadvantage. That’s just something you need to deal with, nobody is forcing you to use VR in competitive gameplay. Eventually the headsets will have better resolution and zoom view won’t be needed at all.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
ED isn’t going to reduce or handicap features in the game. Expecting that is pretty unreasonable.

VR tech as it currently exists is a disadvantage. That’s just something you need to deal with, nobody is forcing you to use VR in competitive gameplay. Eventually the headsets will have better resolution and zoom view won’t be needed at all.
You argue that we shouldn’t handicap monitor users and then say that it’s ok for vr users to be handicapped and that we should just live with it!

Are you being serious?