Change Wording: "Set SPI Generator" instead of "Make SPI" - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #51
Dagger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
DCS A-10C Flight Manual, page 400, Chapter "Sensor Point of Interest (SPI)", middle of the page: "SPI sensor designators" then listing all sensors and end with the table for SOI and definable SPI. The table you referenced yourself in an earlier post.

No I asked where did you get the term "Set SPI Sensor Designator. "
Dagger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #52
Dagger71

Quote:
...and on top of the very same page 400 (paragraph 2, last sentence), we have:
(...)"The current SPI generator is always indicated in the lower left corner of the HUD"(...)
Notice the words "SPI generator"!

I don't have too much of a problem with the term SPI Generator even though it's not used IRL or found anywhere but on ED forums.

But I am against changing the command Make SPI to Set SPI Generator.

It's has two different meanings and really is not something I would ever teach anyone.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #53
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger71 View Post
Makes SPI from the current SOI.
Per the manual page 400 section "SPI Command Functions" it "sets Sensor as SPI", which allows the TGP, TAD, Maverick or HUD to define the SPI.
It does NOT make/create "a" Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) it selects the sensor that does.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #54
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
No I asked where did you get the term "Set SPI Sensor Designator. "
I answered that already in a post above, but if you are to lazy to read: page 400 section "SPI Sensor Designators" caption roughly in the middle of the page...

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #55
Dagger71

Quote:
I answered that already in a post above, but if you are to lazy to read: page 400 section "SPI Sensor Designators" caption roughly in the middle of the page...

no need to trade insults, but I think it is you that might be too lazy to show me where it says "SET SPI SENSOR DESIGNATOR" Its the exact term I asked for.

And actually I am the one that sent you to that page in the manual.

It does say SPI Sensor Designators:MAV, TGP, HUD and TAD

and "Set sensor as SPI",which I already said I am fine with.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #56
Dagger71

Quote:
Per the manual page 400 section "SPI Command Functions" it "sets Sensor as SPI", which allows the TGP, TAD, Maverick or HUD to define the SPI.
It does NOT make/create "a" Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) it selects the sensor that does.

That is not what it says.

under Mav:
"set sensor as SPI" function is selected, the line of sight point to the ground marks the SPI using TMS Forward Long.

TGP

when the TGP is SOI and the "set sensor as SPI" function is selected, the line of sight point at ground intersection marks the SPI with a TMS Forward Long.

In every instance of creating a SPI it will always be a point in 3D space. Re-read the definition again at top of page 400.

Last edited by Dagger71; 09-11-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #57
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
That is not what it says.

under Mav:
"set sensor as SPI" function is selected, the line of sight point to the ground marks the SPI using TMS Forward Long.

TGP

when the TGP is SOI and the "set sensor as SPI" function is selected, the line of sight point at ground intersection marks the SPI with a TMS Forward Long.

In every instance of creating a SPI it will always be a point in 3D space. Re-read the definition again at top of page 400.
same paragraphs continued "As the Maverick seeker slews/ ...As the TGP crosshairs are slewed/, the SPI slews along with it. To un-assign the SPI (as in no longer constantly updating/generating the SPI coordinates)from the TGP, you may either use the "reset SPI to steerpoint" function or assign the SPI to another sensor."
The TMS Forward long DOES NOT MAKE a SPI, it selects the sensor that generates the SPI.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #58
Dagger71

Quote:
same paragraphs continued "As the Maverick seeker slews/ ...As the TGP crosshairs are slewed/, the SPI slews along with it. To un-assign the SPI (as in no longer constantly updating/generating the SPI coordinates)from the TGP, you may either use the "reset SPI to steerpoint" function or assign the SPI to another sensor."
The TMS Forward long DOES NOT MAKE a SPI, it selects the sensor that generates the SPI.

Hahahah! Now you are adding your own terms in the manual ???

But you are there!

re-read this slowly:

As the TGP crosshairs are slewed/, the SPI slews along with it.
the SPI slews along with it.

"A SPI is a 3D point in space that the systems use as a shared reference location to cue weapons, aim sensors and send over the datalink.

Once a sensor has been set as the Sensor Of Interest (SOI), the sensor may designate the SPI."

I have no problem calling the TGP SPI when it is the generator. But as I have posted several times. When you do TMS FORWARD LONG, it is a snapshot of the output of the sensor that gets saved and a 3d point is created.

As you slew the SOI, the Sensor point of interest moves with it and gets updated at a refresh interval.

Last edited by Dagger71; 09-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #59
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Hahahah! Now you are adding your own terms in the manual ???

But you are there!

re-read this slowly:

As the TGP crosshairs are slewed/, the SPI slews along with it.

"A SPI is a 3D point in space that the systems use as a shared reference location to cue weapons, aim sensors and send over the datalink.

Once a sensor has been set as the Sensor Of Interest (SOI), the sensor may designate the SPI."

I have no problem calling the TGP SPI when it is the generator. But as I have posted several times. When you do TMS FORWARD LONG, it is a snapshot of the output of the sensor that gets saved and a 3d point is created.

As you slew the SOI, the Sensor point of interest moves with it and gets updated at a refresh interval.
I don't add anything. The Manual has not been updated since 2013! Just go to either the www.digitalcombatsimulator.com website and download it, or open it under Program files/ Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/aircraft/A-10C/doc/DCS A-10C Flight Manual EN.pdf which is the manual in question.

As for the snapshot theory, that would require you to update the "snapshot" whenever you move the sensor with TMS Forward long? Now, as the SPI coordinates are even sent via Datalink in real-time when moving the sensor, that theory of TMS fwd long "storing" a SPI does not work out. Basically, that misconception is the whole reason for this discussion.
TMS forward long selects the SPI sensor that designates the SPI coordinates, until set to another sensor or reset to steerpoint. Even with Steerpoint as source for the SPI the coordinates change with the waypoint, constantly. That is why "Make SPI" works for a trained pilot, as he had classroom training and an instructor hammering the concept of "Make the currently selected Sensor Of Interest (SOI) your source for the SensorPoint of Interest (SPI) unless reset or changed again" into his brain, whereas newcomers glancing on the Controls overview interpret "Make (a) SPI" as "Store the Sensor point coordinates as something as a markpoint for later use" and miss the part where the SPI is updated all the time, when the sensor is slewed.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #60
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Please tell me you aren't seriously asking this question after all the explanation I have gone through.
Apologies. I thought it was obvious that I was trying to point out that you, yourself, at various times called the SPI various things, and that I had hoped you would be able to clarify your understanding.

Anyway, we really are going in circles now. Not much of a surprise probably that I think shagrat summed it up very well in #59.

Dagger71, if you find a way to describe your understanding in different terms, I'm all ears. But you would really do me a favor if you refrained from explaining that the SPI is a point in 3D space. No one besides you seems to think there is any confusion about that concept whatsoever.