Dora keeps going in circle

depner

Hi all ,when I try to take off in cold start mission. I cannot get the plane to stop turning left when I open the throttle. I have full right rudder but nothing helps. Newbie at this game.:cry::pilotfly:

Edited by depner

Rudder authority is null at those speeds, so you have to use the wheel breaks to turn on the ground. You also have to lock the tail wheel by pulling the stick all the way down (this is true for all tail draggers). Let us know how it went..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

You mean when you start rolling? The rudder only kicks in when you have home speed (around 80 km/h?). At low speed you have to use differential braking to offset the effect of the propeller turning clockwise. Could it be that you haven't read the flight manual?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

[...] You also have to lock the tail wheel by pulling the stick all the way down (this is true for all tail draggers). Let us know how it went..

In the 109 you have to lock it with the lever, not the stick:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Rudder authority is null at those speeds, so you have to use the wheel breaks to turn on the ground. You also have to lock the tail wheel by pulling the stick all the way down (this is true for all tail draggers). Let us know how it went..

True for all tail draggers? Doesn't the Bf-109 lock its tail wheel with a handle on the left side of the cockpit?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is he not simply referring to the fact that it's normal to hold stick back when taking off in tail draggers, not to the wheel locking?

IRL that probably holds true, but YoYo demo'd the Spit TO without stick back, I tried it and it works pretty good

Is he not simply referring to the fact that it's normal to hold stick back when taking off in tail draggers, not to the wheel locking?

Alright, that's something different then. In that case he's right of course :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

All and all, there's no need for using brakes for either takeoffs or landings in Fw-190 - tailwheel lock + correct amount of right rudder is enough. In this particular plane, however, the lock is engaged by pulling the stick back somewhat.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi LeCuvier,

Not sure if that's the issue as the plane seems to spin on one spot. Did not know about the brakes will check that.

cheers Depner

If you're using rudder pedals and brakes, press RtCtrl +enter to bring up your controls screen. Press on each brake and watch the red bar on the left and right side of the controls screen. If the bar is solid red from the bottom to neutral, and remains that way when you release the brake, or if the bar is solid red and drops to the bottom when you press the brake, you must select the "invert" box in your "Axis fine tune." That is usually the problem. I learned that the hard way on the P-51D.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Yup the dummy had the brakes wrong way round left was right and the toe brakes were on all the time. Just wish there was just one profile for all planes as I find that all these different setting get very confusing and time consuming to set up on my saitek x 65pro

Hi all ,when I try to take off in cold start mission. I cannot get the plane to stop turning left when I open the throttle. I have full right rudder but nothing helps. Newbie at this game.:cry::pilotfly:

lock the tail wheel by pulling the stick all the way back and apply right side wheel brake

Will do I flew in real life so knew about tail wheel lock. Lucky we did not have to programme the real plane like we do in this sim. Don't think I would have got off the ground ha ha.

Edited by depner

So is the idea to pull back stick and keep it held there on all WWII planes? My routine with P-51 has been to pull back all the way and let return to center before takeoff and I thought that was doing the trick.

No, not really. The POH tells you what you should do for each aircraft. In the 190 pulling the stick to the rear also locks the tailwheel.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I'm only a virtual pilot, but as we are discussing virtual aircraft, then I should be as entitled as anybody ;o)

Mustang and Dora both use stick back to lock the tail wheel. I find this is around 2/3rd stick back, in my system anyway.

Kurtfurst uses a manual tail wheel lock on the LHS

For all of these I use stick back (not necessarily full deflection) and release at a preset speed for each aircraft, to bring the tail up.

If you continue to hold stick back after said preset speed then eventually the aircraft will achieve flying speed and attempt to lift from a 3 point position.......................usually that does not end well.

Exception so far for me is the Spit. From IRL Videos the stick is also held back during TO, but in the sim I find a neutral stick works best. If it wasn't for the Godamm free pivoting tail wheel, causing you to do Michael Flatley impersonations, it would be the easiest aircraft to lift in the game instead of the hardest (IMHO)

I'm a rubbish pilot in the virtual world, but all that's required for any of the warbirds is to watch some videos preferably more than one, as techniques vary. Then practice, practice, practice trying different techniques.

You'll eventually find what works for you

Elevator UP is used on most tail draggers to force the tail down for 3 reasons.

1. Prohibit an early lift off followed by a stall & crash. The ALL_THE WAY pulled elevator forces a stall on the tail, thus it wont generate lift, BUT once fast enough IT WILL !!!. Let it gently go before A becomes B !!!

This is more dominant when landing, keep elevator full up and maybe some aileron left or right to enforce a stall, that way you wont lift off again after touchdown.

2. Put more traction on the tailwheel so it can steer the craft, doesnt apply to all tail draggers but those with coupled tailwhell-Rudder assembly.

3. Put the tail on the ground and not the propeller in the dirt when throttling up. Some aircraft tend to nose over when applying throttle from a stand still position. Once some speed is gained and dampening over the surfaces takes place the plane will not nose-stand by itself anymore.

Applies to some tail dragger aircraft, not all.

In all cases elevator should be gently released while you gain speed on the ground and be around neutral prior to lift off. When fast enough, pull gently

When you do a FULL THROTTLE test on the tarmac, obey #3 !!!

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 9 months later...

as mentioned, pull up and hold, before and during 1st part of take off run,