DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

I hopped on Blue Flag last night and had issues with degraded audio too. A few of my transmissions were reported as garbled and I heard a lot of garbled transmissions from others. One of them was kind of hilarious in that there was a pause in the middle of the transmission, then the remainder played extra fast (like fast forwarding a tape player). Or possibly it played a bunch of audio all at one moment. I'm not really sure, but it sounded like fast forward. That only happened once though.

I also had to occasionally bump the transmit button otherwise I'd stop receiving. At first I thought everyone was quiet but after tapping the button I found there had been a conversation going the whole time.

Did you want me to record the audio next time?

Ciribob,

Here a quick capture of the background audio effect I mentioned previously. You can hear a repeating sound, it sounds like a short sound being repeated over and over with a noticeable cut between each play.

This was recorded by just having one client transmit without saying anything.

https://youtu.be/F3KsC0hAxCw

Edited by Eddie
I can't spell

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Ciribob how can I modify the R-862 (MiG-29S) to directly go to GCI frequency (126) instead of 251,000 AM ?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

SR is working great Ciribob! I feel like an idiot for not turning off Teamspeak but at least we have it working. We're going to do some testing for our group this evening but so far I'm very pleased with how it works. Thank you very much for working on this! It's a great community add on.

--------------------------------------------------

OK, I had to edit this post. I should have waited till everyone got a chance to test it and stated that it's working mostly for our guys. One person had a problem with it working at first but when he went from the A-10C to the M-2000C it stopped working completely. Even backing out of DCS World and restarting SR Client did nothing.

Another person with multiple monitors had a very strange problem with the overlay. It showed up as a thin strip with no visible elements. The radios were working for him though.

This is the first persons report:

All tests in 1.5.4

Verified lua files in Scripts folder and export.lua had the proper line added

loaded client and overlay. joined server, joined DCS mission.

In lobby, radios indicated CA types (normal).

Upon joining M-2000C, radio overlay went to "no radio" in all cases. Started battery and added ground power, verified frequencies on repeater. Still no overlay and no good radio check.

exited DCS, closed/reopened client and overlay. Reloaded DCS, joined mission.

In lobby, radios still indicated CA.

Joined A-10C. Overlays and radio checks SAT on all 3 radios.

Joined M-2000C. Same problem as described above.

Joined Ka-50. Still no radios on overlay and no successful radio check.

This is from the person with the screen problem:

In the image just below you can see how the Simple Radio Standalone Overlay appears on my system. It starts out this way before I open DCS World and remains that way in-game. Since it appears this way even when DCS World is not running, I don't believe windowed mode in DCS has anything to do with this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145245&stc=1&d=1469716598

I am running a multiple-monitor system in which three screens make up the main display, and a fourth monitor is used to display MFDs. My other system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W CPU

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Any ideas what could be causing these problems?

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ciribob how can I modify the R-862 (MiG-29S) to directly go to GCI frequency (126) instead of 251,000 AM ?

Open dcs-simpleradiotandalone.lua and edit line 234 from:

_data.radios[1].frequency = 251.0*1000000

to

_data.radios[1].frequency = 126.0*1000000

I hopped on Blue Flag last night and had issues with degraded audio too. A few of my transmissions were reported as garbled and I heard a lot of garbled transmissions from others. One of them was kind of hilarious in that there was a pause in the middle of the transmission, then the remainder played extra fast (like fast forwarding a tape player). Or possibly it played a bunch of audio all at one moment. I'm not really sure, but it sounded like fast forward. That only happened once though.

I also had to occasionally bump the transmit button otherwise I'd stop receiving. At first I thought everyone was quiet but after tapping the button I found there had been a conversation going the whole time.

Did you want me to record the audio next time?

We're running on a new VPS for BlueFlag so if we get more reports we'll take a closer look!

Out of interest, what soundcard and microphone do you have?

Having to bump the transmit is odd, it should work once you've bumped it once but i'll see if maybe the ping function isnt working as it should.

Ciribob,

Here a quick capture of the background audio effect I mentioned previously. You can hear a repeating sound, it sounds like a short sound being repeated over and over with a noticeable cut between each play.

This was recorded by just having one client transmit without saying anything.

https://youtu.be/F3KsC0hAxCw

Thats very odd, do you have the same issue when you preview audio? Does it work with any client for you?

What sound card and microphone do you have?

SR is working great Ciribob! I feel like an idiot for not turning off Teamspeak but at least we have it working. We're going to do some testing for our group this evening but so far I'm very pleased with how it works. Thank you very much for working on this! It's a great community add on.

OK, I had to edit this post. I should have waited till everyone got a chance to test it and stated that it's working mostly for our guys. One person had a problem with it working at first but when he went from the A-10C to the M-2000C it stopped working completely. Even backing out of DCS World and restarting SR Client did nothing.

Another person with multiple monitors had a very strange problem with the overlay. It showed up as a thin strip with no visible elements. The radios were working for him though.

This is the first persons report:

All tests in 1.5.4

Verified lua files in Scripts folder and export.lua had the proper line added

loaded client and overlay. joined server, joined DCS mission.

In lobby, radios indicated CA types (normal).

Upon joining M-2000C, radio overlay went to "no radio" in all cases. Started battery and added ground power, verified frequencies on repeater. Still no overlay and no good radio check.

exited DCS, closed/reopened client and overlay. Reloaded DCS, joined mission.

In lobby, radios still indicated CA.

Joined A-10C. Overlays and radio checks SAT on all 3 radios.

Joined M-2000C. Same problem as described above.

Joined Ka-50. Still no radios on overlay and no successful radio check.

This is from the person with the screen problem:

In the image just below you can see how the Simple Radio Standalone Overlay appears on my system. It starts out this way before I open DCS World and remains that way in-game. Since it appears this way even when DCS World is not running, I don't believe windowed mode in DCS has anything to do with this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145245&stc=1&d=1469716598

I am running a multiple-monitor system in which three screens make up the main display, and a fourth monitor is used to display MFDs. My other system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W CPU

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Any ideas what could be causing these problems?

Screen problem, its something to do with three displays. Just drag the radio window to the side of the window so it auto expands like a normal window and then resize as normal then it'll be fixed. I've only got one screen so I can't debug it... :(

For the person with no radio on the M2000c, try changing the line at the top of the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua

change:

SR.unicast = false

To:

SR.unicast = true

Just double check that the file version is:

-- Version 1.1.3.0

Use something like notepad++ to edit, not normal notepad / wordpad!

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Open dcs-simpleradiotandalone.lua and edit line 234 from:

_data.radios[1].frequency = 251.0*1000000

to

_data.radios[1].frequency = 126.0*1000000

Thank yoooou! :D More than 1000 lines of code, god bless the coder Ciribob!!!

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Thats very odd, do you have the same issue when you preview audio? Does it work with any client for you?

What sound card and microphone do you have

No, only on received transmissions, and so far everyone who has tested is getting the same effect, although not everyone is noticing until it's pointed out.

I'm running an ASUS STX II with an Antlion modmic, as is Dojo who is transmitting in that clip. No similar background is heard in TS for either of us or anyone else.

This aside, it's shaping up very nicely. We're switching to SRS in the 476th from tomorrow, so very much looking forward to seeing how this develops. A lot of potential.

On another subject, have you given any thought to how you're going to set the location for GCI/AWACS/ATC users in the future when that feature is completed and LOS/Range degradation is also implemented? I was pondering it earlier on today, it's especially complex (potentially) for ground based stations such as Blackjack in the NTTR which use multiple antenna stations in reality.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

No, only on received transmissions, and so far everyone who has tested is getting the same effect, although not everyone is noticing until it's pointed out.

I'm running an ASUS STX II with an Antlion modmic, as is Dojo who is transmitting in that clip. No similar background is heard in TS for either of us or anyone else.

As Eddie wrote, we have the same hardware. However, I do get the same background noise when using the Preview Audio feature in the client. Will poke around with another microphone/soundcard to see if that changes things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure about the sound card actually. My motherboard is an Asus PX58D-E with a Realtek ALC889. But, I was flying using the Vive and I don't know if it has it's own sound card. The microphone was the Vive mic. It sounded decent in the audio preview. Not the greatest, but also definitely not what I would consider unintelligible.

Adding the NWS as PTT for the F-5E.

New Lua code sent to Ciribob for the next release.

Regarding the sound, I´ve to set the "Boost options" in the 50-150% to prevent an excess of background sound, with and without "Radio effects"

Screen problem, its something to do with three displays. Just drag the radio window to the side of the window so it auto expands like a normal window and then resize as normal then it'll be fixed. I've only got one screen so I can't debug it... :(

I have three monitors, but they are all different resolutions, and my third monitor is above the primary.

I noticed that the issue happens to people who have three identical resolution monitors, with one to the right and one to the left of the primary.

Is it possible it has to do with the fact that the overlay always starts at the same position in the primary monitor?

Why would there be two UHF-AM radios for the F-15C? I noticed in line 314 of the dcs-simpleradiotandalone.lua that they both have the same information. It's my understanding that from other radio programs and from the radio that's modeled in the jet that it should have a VHF-AM radio in place of one of the UHF-AM radios.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would there be two UHF-AM radios for the F-15C? I noticed in line 314 of the dcs-simpleradiotandalone.lua that they both have the same information. It's my understanding that from other radio programs and from the radio that's modeled in the jet that it should have a VHF-AM radio in place of one of the UHF-AM radios.

As far as I know,. The version modelled in DCS doesn't have VHF just two UHF.

VHF is a fairly recent addition: http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/130278/new-radio-enhances-f-15-capability.aspx

Happy to be proved wrong! :)

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Ciribob, I'm having persistent crashes with the client, and can no longer start it, even after a completely clean re-install. I had this with the previous version, but deleting the primary registry key that SimpleRadio created resolved it. However, I'm unable to resolve the issue with 1.1.3.0. As best I can tell, this started after switching my microphone to test the prior issues. I'm not having any issues with the microphone or sound in general in other programs. But the SimpleRadio client will no longer run.

Here's my windows log entry for the crash:

- Windows 10 Pro 64 App Log:

Fault bucket 108311436674, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: SR-ClientRadio.exe
P2: 1.1.3.0
P3: 57929d00
[b]P4: d3d9.dll[/b]
P5: 10.0.10586.494
P6: 5775e023
P7: c0000005
P8: 00054a53
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\clc\AppData\Local\Temp\WER670.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WERD46.tmp.csv
C:\Users\clc\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD57.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_SR-ClientRadio.e_31c88d74dee336763a844821382aadab79dac5_b7ee1977_22730d75

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: a2374939-8b2e-40c8-837e-858ddb7432cc
Report Status: 1
Hashed bucket: 45145b26a98fd14579657d6bbad41123

Additionally, my SimpleRadio client log is attached. Please advise if there are additional forensics I can provide. Thanks in advance!

clientlog.txt

Edited by Dojo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as I know,. The version modelled in DCS doesn't have VHF just two UHF.

You're right. I was mistaking one of them for VHF. What's been throwing me off is that in the mission builder the default frequency is 124 so I've always thought it had a VHF radio.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ciribob, I'm having persistent crashes with the client, and can no longer start it, even after a completely clean re-install. I had this with the previous version, but deleting the primary registry key that SimpleRadio created resolved it. However, I'm unable to resolve the issue with 1.1.3.0. As best I can tell, this started after switching my microphone to test the prior issues. I'm not having any issues with the microphone or sound in general in other programs. But the SimpleRadio client will no longer run.

Here's my windows log entry for the crash:

- Windows 10 Pro 64 App Log:

Fault bucket 108311436674, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: SR-ClientRadio.exe
P2: 1.1.3.0
P3: 57929d00
[b]P4: d3d9.dll[/b]
P5: 10.0.10586.494
P6: 5775e023
P7: c0000005
P8: 00054a53
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\clc\AppData\Local\Temp\WER670.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\Temp\WERD46.tmp.csv
C:\Users\clc\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD57.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_SR-ClientRadio.e_31c88d74dee336763a844821382aadab79dac5_b7ee1977_22730d75

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: a2374939-8b2e-40c8-837e-858ddb7432cc
Report Status: 1
Hashed bucket: 45145b26a98fd14579657d6bbad41123

Additionally, my SimpleRadio client log is attached. Please advise if there are additional forensics I can provide. Thanks in advance!

That's a directx crash.... Which is odd!

By any chance are you running MSI afterburner ? Someone reported that was an issue for some reason which might be that it's trying to inject an FPS counter or something.

That's a directx crash.... Which is odd!

By any chance are you running MSI afterburner ? Someone reported that was an issue for some reason which might be that it's trying to inject an FPS counter or something.

Indeed! Just killed it, and the program instantly worked. Of note, Afterburner was running in the background, and not actually "actively" counting FPS, but still impacting. Worth noting!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This aside, it's shaping up very nicely. We're switching to SRS in the 476th from tomorrow, so very much looking forward to seeing how this develops. A lot of potential.

On another subject, have you given any thought to how you're going to set the location for GCI/AWACS/ATC users in the future when that feature is completed and LOS/Range degradation is also implemented? I was pondering it earlier on today, it's especially complex (potentially) for ground based stations such as Blackjack in the NTTR which use multiple antenna stations in reality.

Thats great to hear you're switching over! Please let me know if you have more issues.

I'll increase the audio buffer size as I can reproduce the effect if I lower the buffer size more on my hardware. If that doesnt fix it, it's likely to be a sampling issue as I sample at 24,000Hz rather than the normal 44,100HZ. Annoyingly I can't sample at 44,100Hz as opus doesnt support that, only 48,000Hz which doesn't work on some soundcards....

Edit: For the locations I was thinking a preset list of airports as well as a few major towns in Caucasus and Nevada. Also thinking of allowing a lat/lon but not sure how to convert back into DCS co-ordinates. Out of interest, do you have any preference of how you'd like to do it? For the multi antenna radios, what are the distances between antennas? Could allow multiple positions for a single radio depending on type.

As Eddie wrote, we have the same hardware. However, I do get the same background noise when using the Preview Audio feature in the client. Will poke around with another microphone/soundcard to see if that changes things.

The fact you get it on the preview is a good sign (for me, less so for you :P ) that points to the soundcard buffer. As I said above I'll increase the buffer by 20ms and that might fix it.

I'm not sure about the sound card actually. My motherboard is an Asus PX58D-E with a Realtek ALC889. But, I was flying using the Vive and I don't know if it has it's own sound card. The microphone was the Vive mic. It sounded decent in the audio preview. Not the greatest, but also definitely not what I would consider unintelligible.

Same as above :)

I have three monitors, but they are all different resolutions, and my third monitor is above the primary.

I noticed that the issue happens to people who have three identical resolution monitors, with one to the right and one to the left of the primary.

Is it possible it has to do with the fact that the overlay always starts at the same position in the primary monitor?

Ah so you have 3 monitors and it doesnt happen? Thats interesting, thanks for that!

The latest release, which may be tonight, supports window position saving (opacity and size are also saved) so at least if it does happen, once fixed once it'll be fine every time.

Edited by Ciribob

Hopefully someone can help me.

I just installed it and tried to get it running on BlueFlag.

I connected and sit in my A10C - the UI overlay does not recognize any radio, it just says "No Radio".

So I disconnected and tried it locally and on other servers, stillt the same, the overlay says "No Radio" in F15, A10C and M2k (All I tried) - am I doing something really obvious wrong?:doh:

I connected and sit in my A10C - the UI overlay does not recognize any radio, it just says "No Radio".

So I disconnected and tried it locally and on other servers, stillt the same, the overlay says "No Radio" in F15, A10C and M2k (All I tried) - am I doing something really obvious wrong?:doh:

I'd first check that our export.lua in Saved Games\DCS\Scripts has the line:

local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]])

and nothing else in it unless you're using Helios or Butt Kicker or TacView.

Also check that the scripts files listed below are also in Saved Games\DCS\Scripts:

DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua

DCS-SRSGameGUI.lua

If you've done all that and restarted DCS, edit DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua and change the line:

SR.unicast = false

to

SR.unitcast = true

Make sure you use a good editor like notepad++ NOT notepad/wordpad

Hope that helps!

I had issues with SR when tacview was in the export. After i deleted the export and created a new one with just SR, it started working. Try that

I'd first check that our export.lua in Saved Games\DCS\Scripts has the line:

local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]])

and nothing else in it unless you're using Helios or Butt Kicker or TacView.

Also check that the scripts files listed below are also in Saved Games\DCS\Scripts:

DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua

DCS-SRSGameGUI.lua

If you've done all that and restarted DCS, edit DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua and change the line:

SR.unicast = false

to

SR.unitcast = true

Make sure you use a good editor like notepad++ NOT notepad/wordpad

Hope that helps!

Hey, thanks for your fast reply, but unfortunately there is no change :(

What I did was:

1.) Reinstalling with a new download to be sure

2.)Creating a new Export.Lua with only the line you wrote above (Copy'n Paste)

3.)Testing, no change

4.)Changing unicast

5.)Restarting DCS

6.)Still no change

Additionally I tried to close and restart SimpleRadio while DCS was running (including the UI) - no change.

What the heck I'm wondering what I am missing.

PS: Firewall is also deactivated to test it....

EDIT: I just took a look in the DCS_SimpleRadioStandalone.lua - what is this JSON.lua? I do not have this in the DCS/Scripts folder in my saved games directory.

Edited by kreisch

Hey kreisch is your SR Radio Client is connecting to the server? When you put IP then hit connect - is your button change to disconnect?

Yes, i tested it with a local Server. The Server is also showing someone is connected but i cannot See my Name. I was connecting to the open conflict server within dcs because blueflag is full ;)