Pacific Theater Map?

Magic Zach

Started thinking, why not have a Pacific Theater map? Goofed with Google Maps, took a screenshot, and edited it.

[ATTACH]165750[/ATTACH]

It'd be a bit big...okay, actually REALLY big. Gargantuan! About double the size of the Normandy or Black Sea map! But this is actually just an idea, I'm not proposing THIS screenshot to become a map for DCS, but maybe a portion of it. I do think that Okinawa (as I labeled on the map, because Google Maps didn't) should be included however. This map would be great for naval aircraft, and would make it necessary to learn how to take off and land on carriers with Bearcat's and Corsairs. Also, some Japanese aircraft *cough*ZERO!*cough* would be great to go along with this. Again, doesn't (and I'd imagine, WON'T) have to be the entire screenshot area for the map, but there would be some interesting situations you can come up with, with a map so large. Long distance flights might become a regular (which would be historically accurate) and externals for aircraft would be a need right off the bat (not pointing fingers, but where are those bloody drop tanks and bombs for the Spitfire?!).

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you imagine how many objects would be on that map ?

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Japan/@34.9328288,136.1888596,9.1z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x34674e0fd77f192f:0xf54275d47c665244!8m2!3d36.204824!4d138.252924

Looks like you could get a lot of these in without too many built up areas :

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/HI/Airfields_W_Pacific.htm

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

If we did have any kind of WWII carrier available to us, or even one on the horizon, I would really be in favor of that choice, not only for the WWII aspect of it but also for the Korean War possibilities.

But for a WWII Pacific map, I would suggest a map of the Solomon Islands. Aside from the limited carrier activity that took place around the periphery, the vast majority of the conflict took place up and down the Slot using strips scraped out of the coral atolls and using land based, or carrier capable but land based planes on both sides.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I said, I am not suggesting that the area in the screenshot become the entire map. But a portion. But what if there were certain sections of the area in this screenshot that became maps? AG-51 Razor suggests the Solomon Islands. Great! I would personally prefer a map with Okinawa in it.

Why not make two normal-sized maps out of the Pacific Theater? With the map making tools all set (and from I've heard and read, ED is pretty happy with it) the maps can get up and ready for testing within a short period of time compared to the NTTR Map. From what I've read (but as usual, I can never remember from WHERE) most of the time used for creating the NTTR map was not for actually creating the map, but making the technology FOR making the map. And as Matt said in a recent Q&A, the NTTR was sort of the test for this.

Say there was a map that was put out for the Pacific Theater. MOST of the map would actually be water, not land. I'd imagine that adding a large amount of water isn't really the hard part for map making. And with all the little islands there may be, creating them shouldn't be as time-consuming as the NTTR or Normandy map, where both maps have a LOT of land. However, I'd also imagine that the hardest part would be collecting all the data, not doing the actual mesh creation, renders etc. So as far as finding data and images, that's what it seems like you're saying to me, Weta43, for the long run. Lots of objects, yes, but also I'd think that there would be some difficulty finding good data on some islands.

Food for thought? I'm a customer of DCS, so, what do I know? :P

• Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]