Thrustmaster Warthog T.A.R.G.E.T. - I'm lost :(

Hi,

I could program my X-55 in 10min, but now I'm lost. I can't even find a youtube tutorial for DCS setting up the software.

Is there any guide how to use the on/off switsches from the Warthog for any other module besides the A-10C?

Thx!

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

You start a new profile. Afterwards you get the 3d image of the stick and throttle on the left side of the screen. You press the button on the stick image you want to program and set a command for it. Also for switches use pulse command, and you have to program each position for the switch. Don`t use toggle commands for switches.

Edit: Oh btw, don`t forget to click add event if it`s a new comand or save event if it is a modification to an existing command. You`ll see it`s pretty straight forward.

Edited by Slims

ok, thx.

Q: I want to set "Radar on" to on of the Throttle flip switches. I flip the switch forward- Radar goes on. I flip the switch back, Radar goes off. What command would that be?

for the F-15 for example. It only has on key to turn on/off

Edited by LuSi_6

Well lets say radar ON is SHIFT+1 and Radar OFF is SHIFT+2 then you need to add a command for RDRNRM called radar on key command SHIFT+1 and for RDRDIS command named radar off SHIFT+2. Again for each don`t forget to click add event afterwards. Also name your commands it will be easier later to find the commands in the list. After you get good with adding normal commands you`ll find you want to use multiple layers :)

I've stopped using TARGET a long time ago.

This kind of thing is often easy to achieve with a simple addition to the file "default.lua" under (for the F-15)

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Input\f-15c\joystick"

I don't fly the F-15C much, but just out of curiosity I added these two lines to the "default.lua":

-- added 1 line below HWF 12-JUL-2017
{down = iCommandPlaneRadarOnOff, up = iCommandPlaneRadarOnOff, name = _('Radar 2-Pos On/Off'), category = _('Sensors')},

Then, under Options / Controls, bound the new command "Radar 2-Pos On/Off" to a maintained ON/OFF switch on my DSD button box.

This works fine. If my switch is in the ON position, the radar is ON; if the switch is in the OFF position, the radar is OFF.

It would work just as well if I bound the command to a switch on my TM-WH throttle, e.g. the "RDR ALTM" or "EAC".

I apply this method on several fighters in order to use maintained ON/OFF switches where ED only provides commands for toggle switches/pushbuttons.

Note: to edit .lua files I recommend you use the free software Notepad++

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Well lets say radar ON is SHIFT+1 and Radar OFF is SHIFT+2 then you need to add a command for RDRNRM called radar on key command SHIFT+1 and for RDRDIS command named radar off SHIFT+2.

Since the On and Off commands are the same keystroke, what you posted is irrelevant.

Without modding lua files, the best solution is to use Target to program the key press on switch activation and then program the same command on switch release. I don't recall if this can be done in the GUI but it is easily done in the scripting environment.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Without modding lua files, the best solution is to use Target to program the key press on switch activation and then program the same command on switch release. I don't recall if this can be done in the GUI but it is easily done in the scripting environment.

Yes it's very easy to do using the TARGET GUI

Nothing to do with Childfan's post

I see an awful lot of vitriol directed at TARGET, general nay saying and it's POS etc:

For me using GUI's from CH, VKB & TM, TARGET is the easiest, most flexible & bug free than all of the others by some way.

I'm not saying use it or don't use it.

I just don't really get why it's hated so much by the community when none of the other hardware providers for input seem to have produced anything better.

It's not perfect but I'd rather have it than not have it

Just Saying

...I just don't really get why it's hated so much by the community when none of the other hardware providers for input seem to have produced anything better...

Hate? No. I've used it for while and was essentially satisfied. It's when I started using the TrackIR together with TARGET and DCS that I experienced more crashes than I was willing to tolerate. I could not get any support from TM, so I looked for an alternative. And I saw posts about modding the default.lua and found that very effective for me. So people have alternatives to choose from. Chacun à son goût!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I got same problem. Just received new WARTHOG. And I just cant get along with it and with TARGET software. It looks to me like rocket science after X52/X55 I had.

Some one can help me to get updated F15C profile for the TM WARTHOG?

Thanks

Yes it's very easy to do using the TARGET GUI

Nothing to do with Childfan's post

I see an awful lot of vitriol directed at TARGET, general nay saying and it's POS etc:

For me using GUI's from CH, VKB & TM, TARGET is the easiest, most flexible & bug free than all of the others by some way.

I'm not saying use it or don't use it.

I just don't really get why it's hated so much by the community when none of the other hardware providers for input seem to have produced anything better.

It's not perfect but I'd rather have it than not have it

Just Saying

I must say, you nailed it.

Mention Target and people are all over it with editing lua files.

I would love to see one video instance of someone setting up a target script using the GUI and getting it to work in DCS without too much additional file moving and lua editing. Can it even be done?

Some say Target was never an option. Some say it is fine.

When someone posts a Target profile, there are a dozen other edits and files to move around.

If I am asking about Target, I don't want to hear about Lua.

The thread gets de-railed and one gets no information at all.

If I am talking about Lua, I don't want to hear about Target.

The thread is called Thrustmaster Wartog T.A.R.G.T.

Maybe we can iron out the how to in here for TARGET? Just a thought, a Hope, a prayer.

I made a beautiful fcf and of course there are errors and very little DCS information regarding Target anywhere.

I have read every word of most of the how to lua posts.

I am very interested in Target in DCS. I Love the ease of the gui.

Here's hoping it's a tiny mistake I am making.

Target users unite ;)

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

The youtube videos from TM is quite easy to follow when it comes to GUI Target.

Also, this should help as well. A unified script for Throttle:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153039

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Since the On and Off commands are the same keystroke, what you posted is irrelevant.

Yes it is easily done in the GUI. The newest update a while ago made everything work better (and some old scripts to not work).

Remember if you use a Press, you MUST also have a release or you end up with a key pressed down all the time and an inoperative keyboard often as a result.

The wording is terrible. A Hold will release when you let go. It's all in the Target Manual.

It's only 44 pages.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

The youtube videos from TM is quite easy to follow when it comes to GUI Target.

Also, this should help as well. A unified script for Throttle:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153039

I used it for a while. It was my favourite at the time.

I agree on the target youtube videos. It works just like they say.

I found my errors. All were very simple. I sometimes did not save the entry.

You have to remember to save every time you make change. Then save the whole file at the end. They are separate saves sheesh.

got it working. Once you understand what it does, it's easy. Thx guys! With a good profile the F-15 feels not FC3 anymore. I click buttons and switch switches just like in my M2000 or Tiger. Awsome!

I think people do it the "wrong" way IMO.

Every plane has default button assignments, and as far as I understood, people program their Warthog in TARGET to match this. Then you have to switch TARGET profiles when you switch planes.

The way I do it: I set up a logical button assignment in TARGET. I remember it (or use the event tester if I forget) - then I modify the control assignments in DCS.

Let's say, I assign the bottom left switch switched up to num 1, and down to LAlt+ num 1. Then, if there is something I want to control with that switch I go to DCS, controls, and assign num 1 and LAlt+num1 in the keyboard column.

Piece of cake! ;)

Reflected, I don't find that method versatile in TARGET at all.

That way you forfeit the ability to have more complex macros, e.g. doing several actions with just one press, or mapping axes to keys in some aircraft while leaving the axis for the others.

Also, I am not 100% sure that you could map e.g. the speedbrakes for the A-10C, F-5 and F-15 successfully; and if you do it would involve a dirty triple mapping solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reflected, I don't find that method versatile in TARGET at all.

That way you forfeit the ability to have more complex macros, e.g. doing several actions with just one press, or mapping axes to keys in some aircraft while leaving the axis for the others.

Also, I am not 100% sure that you could map e.g. the speedbrakes for the A-10C, F-5 and F-15 successfully; and if you do it would involve a dirty triple mapping solution.

I tend to agree from another angle. If we use the default keyboard bindings (again those need to be completed by the aircraft makers) then we can share, refer to and everyone will be the same. Changing those and then referring to those changed assignments makes it one user only or tough for setting up other users. I always leave the keyboard binding alone in all games and sims if I am using other controllers. Only then can my script work for you and yours me.

I made a video of me fumbling through it with a very successful conclusion yesterday. It is a piece of crap video since my headset died and I had to overdub later with a drum mic but if you can get through it, I think it's quite informative and shows just how easy it is to get started.

I will start uploading that now. It'll take a couple hours. I am no pro *hangs head*.

On that note I really need suggestions for a mic or headset. ( I don't prefer headphones or headsets really). I have a G930. Something on a usb wire would be preferred. Must be comfortable and cost effective.

I understand the Ops problem is solved but the tag line is so catchy I figured I'd keep it going if that's ok. To perhaps help others as I myself wished to get for so long. It's nice to see Target folks coming out of the woodwork.

Edited by DeepDrummer

If you're brand new to Thrustmaster's Target GUI script writing software, this may help if you can sit through it. 45 min of sheer audio torture. Sorry.

Here is the awful quality video I made yesterday trying Target.

If I can do it anyone can.

At least now I can do something with every single switch for instance this morning I added the ENG op switches to open or close the starter and booster coil buttons and activate the starter and booster buttons if held forward. Like it SHOULD work.

I am really sorry for the bad mic. No other recourse at this time.

Having to choose and add my own keyboard key bindings is not handy and almost makes it not worthwhile at least to share profiles.

I had to add in undercarriage up/down default keyboard binding

Starter cover open and close

Booster coil button open and close

Mag 1 on and Mag 1 off

Mag 2 on mag 2 off

Comon...

I am ready to fly into Target and this default keyboard key binding threatens to be a brick wall as far as any collective collaboration goes.

You could always just use a DX assignment, in Target, and then map that switch/button in game. I have found that to be the easiest solution rather than try to come up with a keyboard solution that isn't already used somewhere.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here's my $0.02 on the subject:

The DCS controls menu allows for a lot of flexibility in mapping controllers, and virtually every command can be assigned to a directx button. In some cases like the A-10C and Viggen, you even get on/off commands for the switches on the Warthog throttle base. If you want to create modifiers (like S3 or the boat switch in TARGET), you can still do this in DCS; you just need to make sure that unmodified key commands like eject have the modifiers added to them as well (esp. for the boat switch), otherwise the command won't work while the modifier is held. What you gain is extra directX buttons (you're limited to 32 buttons and 8 axes in TARGET) to give you more options, along with the flexibilty to do what you want for each module without having to worry about consistency.

This may sound weird coming from a TARGET user with a profile linked in his signature. There are three reasons you might want to use TARGET:

1. You want to create and use macros for things like SnapViews.
  2. You want to make use of the TEMPO command. DCS doesn't have an option for this.
  3. You want TARGET to do fancy things like context sensitive button mappings with a switch (not including the boat switch modifier).

If you want to use TARGET for reason 1, then it's ok to use the GUI. Otherwise, I highly recommend using the Script Editor instead of the GUI. It's more flexible, the code is more user friendly (you're programming in C), and you can do a lot more. If you have any ambitions at all for reasons 2 or 3, then TARGET may be for you. However, I would exhaust the DCS options before going to TARGET.

Edited by Home Fries

.... I highly recommend using the Script Editor instead of the GUI. It's more flexible, the code is more user friendly (you're programming in C), and you can do a lot more.

I've downloaded from TM (and read) the "target_script_editor_basics_v1.5" manual ... to be honest, when I compare it with the "Syntax & Statements Reference manual" of the previous TM Cougar, I find the new book a bit lacking, both in extension (62 pages vs 185) and coding examples.

Do you know if there are more resources on the web available for studying the Target Script language? I've googled, but found almost nothing :(

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I've downloaded from TM (and read) the "target_script_editor_basics_v1.5" manual ... to be honest, when I compare it with the "Syntax & Statements Reference manual" of the previous TM Cougar, I find the new book a bit lacking, both in extension (62 pages vs 185) and coding examples.

Do you know if there are more resources on the web available for studying the Target Script language? I've googled, but found almost nothing :(

I agree that the reference manual is a bit lacking. I think the people who wrote the manual assumed that the user had a working knowledge of C/C++. As such, the reference is geared toward specific commands in the header files/libraries.

There really isn't much on the web specifically for TARGET, but the good news is that if you want to know how to do something, just google how to do it in C and it will probably work. There are some nerfs to the language in TARGET (e.g. integer is the only number type, and int is also the variable type used for functions), but figuring out how to do it in C is the 95% solution.