what's the difference between public and private servers?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

What is the difference between the public and private server check box when setting up a server in multiplayer? If I host a private server can my friends still join it? Or friends won't be able to join a private server because it's private?

I can host private servers. I can't host public servers. It is really annoying not being able to host servers.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

Private server should allow you to set a password, that you can then give to your friends. This will let you and your friends do whatever you want, without worry of anyone else joining in and possibly ruining your fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest Guest
Private server should allow you to set a password, that you can then give to your friends. This will let you and your friends do whatever you want, without worry of anyone else joining in and possibly ruining your fun.

If I choose to leave the public server box unchecked will my server appear in the multiplayer servers list so everyone can see it?

It should.

I don't know if DCS servers require any special ports to be opened, or anything like that. Assuming it doesn't, then yeah.

Yeah, port 10308 needs to be set as forwarded to your server's IP. That's for any DCS server, public or private, with access via the Internet.

If you can run a private server with your friends connecting from a different physical location, then you're doing it right and can run a public server.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

If I choose to leave the public server box unchecked will my server appear in the multiplayer servers list so everyone can see it?

Everyone can see both public and private servers. The private servers are distinguished by a lock icon in the left column.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Guest Guest
Yeah, port 10308 needs to be set as forwarded to your server's IP. That's for any DCS server, public or private, with access via the Internet.

If you can run a private server with your friends connecting from a different physical location, then you're doing it right and can run a public server.

I've done nothing with port forwarding. All I know is last summer I could host a server that my friends could join and now I can't. DCS crashes every time I try to host a server with the public server box checked. DCS doesn't crash and I, myself, can get into the server I'm hosting without DCS crashing when the public server box is left unchecked. However, now, when I host a server with the public box unchecked I don't think my friends can join.