New to 109 K-4 and a few questions

After months on Spitfire and Mustang, I thought I would give the 109 a go.

First of all I was confused about how little (if any!) rudder is required in take off and landing. The 109 landing seems like a walk in the park compared to the Spit!

My issues so far are:

1) I know there is no rudder trim, but I'm struggling to get a hands-off level flight situation. It is always rolling to the left requiring right stick to correct.

2) the engine sound is very low volume even though cockpit sounds are set to 100%. Can hardly hear it!

3) the most annoying thing is that my mouse loses the ability to interact with cockpit controls from time to time, and only a 'quit to desktop' resolves that. Not seen that in any other module. Anyone else seen that?

Any help appreciated!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1. A pilot would never take his hand off the stick. You should neither :)

2. No clue. Sounds good to me.

3. If this happens only from time to time you can except a GUI scaling problem. But to me this also happens, when I start DCS 2.1 in window mode and switch to full screen manually with Alt+Enter. Then I cant hit any button as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Thanks but

1) should be able to trim out the aircraft even for a few seconds. Seen it done in videos and easy to achieve fairly level flight in Spit/Mustang with minimal stick input. All down to rudder and pitch trim controls for different rpms.

2) doesn't sound good to me! Compare with Spitfire or Mustang. Almost inaudible.

3) I know the issue you are talking about which used to happen to me, but it's a different thing I'm talking about here. Mouse works perfectly well on menus, just refuses to function on controls in the 109 sometimes. As I said in the first post, never happened in any other module.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You can trim Bf for, for example, cruising speed with proper engine setting in game setting*/special where two sliders are for pre-set aileron and rudder trims.

They are both set 0 deg. position, but You can change it and set them like Dora is. She is trimmed for cruising speed, so she can fly "hands off" at "cruising speed".

You can trim Bf what you want in that way, but of course You can not change that setting in flight.

EDIT * means OPTIONS...

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Thanks for that. What settings would you suggest for level flight at cruising speed?

Either you wrote "little rudder in takeoff" by mistake, or you've got your auto-rudder and takeoff assistance still ticked in special options, 'cause it's the only plane that need full right during half of the takeoff roll, and even that is sometimes not enough to keep her straight! Actually, it has the smallest and the least effective rudder of all DCS warbirds. Thanks God the tailwheel lock mechanism saves the day.

Agree on landings, however, much more user friendly than Spit, again, courtesy of tailwheel lock.

About the sound... err.. sounds like some sound hardware issue :D ? It should be a bit more quiet, but not that much, at least with my Xonar DG & Win 7.

About the trims, the plane is by default set for almost input-free flight when using cruise settings of full down elevator trim, 1.05-1.1 ATA of boost and prop in auto. Not completely hands off, mind you, but enough for me never to bother with adjustable trims in special options.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

What I meant was little rudder in terms of activity. Just need to press in the right rudder and gradually release. This, compared to the Spitfire Dance, is a breeze!

Ah I see. Indeed. Although I still can't make up my mind whether I prefer the lazy rudder of 109 or ADHD-syndrome rudder of the Spit :D.

Wait, I know, I prefer Mustang's one, 'cause it's right in between!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I know what you mean!

Another question I’ve got is about the compass. It seems to be all over the place and doesn’t move in line with the aircraft at all in a turn. Almost seems stuck at times!

I can not suggest any change, I do not change it.

I tried it when this possibility was released and i have found that the best way for me is "do not touch it".

The 109 at cruising engine setting 1,15ATA flies nearly "hands of" with my HW and requires only small right leg input on rudder. Thit input is considerably bigger when, for example, I leveled plane after climb, but it is going to be smaller with increasing speed.

And in opposite example, during descent the 109 requires left leg input and it`s force depends on speed again...

The 109 unfortunately requires constant control because small change of any flight path or engine settings is followed by necessity of re-trim the plane.

so, sorry i do not have any recommendation for You, I am just satisfied with 0 deg. settings and I use it

• Like 1

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I know what you mean!

Another question I’ve got is about the compass. It seems to be all over the place and doesn’t move in line with the aircraft at all in a turn. Almost seems stuck at times!

this might answer your question:

I know what you mean!

Compass on both German birds works only when flying pretty much level indeed. Damn annoying, but I guess one of those things done "the German way" we have to get used to on both planes. Haven't checked if it's the same, standardized model of instrument, actually, but wouldn't be surprised if it was. Oh well, at least you can rotate the rose with the bezel, comes in handy in navigation.

Very informative. Thanks!

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

As for sound, I've been using Diveplane's 109 sound mod. It's louder, and deeper, I like that. There are other sound mods out there, but Diveplane's is bit louder in the cockpit. Sounds cool with my 5.1 A/V receiver. (I use it with both 1.5.x and 2.x with no issue).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

That was useful, thanks.