Rollback DCS 1.5.7 to 1.5.6 temporarily after upgrade

You may have noticed that DCS 1.5.7 has big performance issues.

If you did the upgrade, following the automated process, you can easily rollback your DCS installation to the previous 1.5.6.5199 version.

Do the following:

1. Open a command prompt using the windows start menu option.

2. Using the command prompt, cd to the DCS installation folder. Go to the *bin* folder.

In my case that would be:

c:

cd "\program files\eagle dynamics\dcs world\bin"

3. Execute dcs_updater update 1.5.6.5199 in this folder.

This will rollback your DCS install.

Edited by FlightControl

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Yes...easily done. But you will notice that - if you are a frequent multiplayer gamer - that popular servers (running 1.5.7) are not available anymore.

In contrary to earlier times, you now can not join a server with the latest build 1.5.7. Thats new and part of the IC policy ED runs since last patch to prevent "cheating" with mods (discussion about that here in this forum).

So fine for SP but not for MP :-)......had several roll-back´s and - forward´s until I realized what was goin on here. Sadly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Rolling back to 1.5.6 was my only option after 1.5.7 update which would not allow me into the game no matter what fix I tried. And it looks like I will stay in 1.5.6 for quite awhile with all the complaints that I am seeing.

One step forward............two back, some fun!

BadBud

Rolling back to 1.5.6 was my only option after 1.5.7 update which would not allow me into the game no matter what fix I tried. And it looks like I will stay in 1.5.6 for quite awhile with all the complaints that I am seeing.

BadBud

I hear you...I too just rolled back. This was a really rough update so I'll wait for 1.5.8.

How can I create a server in multi-player and can someone flying 1.5.7 enter the server directly if I give them the IP address?

Edited by fitness88

I hear you...I too just rolled back. This was a really rough update so I'll wait for 1.5.8.

How can I create a server in multi-player and can someone flying 1.5.7 enter the server directly if I give them the IP address?

AFAIK there´s no downward compatibility in DCS, i.e. if you host with 1.5.6 and a friend has upgraded to 1.5.7 he will not be able to join your server. And furthermore if it´s vice versa it will not work either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

AFAIK there´s no downward compatibility in DCS, i.e. if you host with 1.5.6 and a friend has upgraded to 1.5.7 he will not be able to join your server. And furthermore if it´s vice versa it will not work either.

Thanks for the info. I've rolled back to 1.5.6 and for me the difference is worth staying until 1.5.8 comes out.

BadBud

You`re right. It`s a pitty. I am still running 1.5.4 because higher versions lost the feature of troop transport. Too many bugs !!!!!!

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Lesson learned.. whenever the auto-updater offers to upgrade.. will make sure to read the feedback in the forums first..

Internet connection is relatively slow here ..last weekend's update to 1.5.7 took more than two hours iirc...

Aside from stuttering.. there had been FPS drops as the mission progresses in my end... something i didn't really experienced before..

still thinking whether to rollback or abstain from playing DCS for now until a remedy patch eventually comes..

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lesson learned.. whenever the auto-updater offers to upgrade.. will make sure to read the feedback in the forums first..

Internet connection is relatively slow here ..last weekend's update to 1.5.7 took more than two hours iirc...

Aside from stuttering.. there had been FPS drops as the mission progresses in my end... something i didn't really experienced before..

still thinking whether to rollback or abstain from playing DCS for now until a remedy patch eventually comes..

I advise you to roll back. There won't be much exciting servers running dcs 1.5.7 at the moment.

You won't miss any functionality.

[/TABLE]

..will prolly try this weekend.. ..though I'm not really versed with command prompt..

but yeah... I was wondering if the patches somehow stack up?

Say 1.5.8 comes.. it will be like downloading the latest plus the previous 1.5.7 patch?

Guess I'll have to sleep for a while whilst updating... due to the big file size that needs to be downloaded..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

..will prolly try this weekend.. ..though I'm not really versed with command prompt..

but yeah... I was wondering if the patches somehow stack up?

Say 1.5.8 comes.. it will be like downloading the latest plus the previous 1.5.7 patch?

Guess I'll have to sleep for a while whilst updating... due to the big file size that needs to be downloaded..

If you take a look at the versioning numbers that ED applies, I think it is unlikely that 1.5.8 will be here anytime soon.

The first number "1" stands for "old product". The other development branch has "2", which is "new product", but means also "not backward compatible".

The second number expresses the release... "1.5" in this case. On the other branch dcs is at "2.2".

The third number "7" is the "enhancement of the release". That means new functions have been added. On the other branch of dcs we see now 2.2.1. This expresses that the release is still backward compatible, and also new functions have been added.

And then we also have the "updates" which get a 4 to 5 digit number, which expresses the "patch level"...

So bottom line, release 1.5.8 is not to be expected soon. It could also be that the 1.5 branch gets merged into the 2.2 branch...

What is also strange is that there is not much feedback to the community.

Hundreds of people have questions and an instruction from ED would be useful.

So my personal advise is to do the rollback process to 1.5.6.

Sven

[/TABLE]

If they don't fix this by tomorrow sometime, I am going to rollback my entire group, this has destroyed my entire server population...

I believe the earliest you may see a fix is Friday, Andrew.

Edited by FlightControl
going to make this a dedicated thread

[/TABLE]

am i doing the right thing? in terms of rolling back.. seems like deja vu.... 1.5.7 installation last week with 2000+ mb worth of file size...

Unfortunately yes, we all went through the same....

[/TABLE]

I have taken to backing up my entire DCS_World folder to another SSD before running the updater

Only disadvantage is that you need a lot of storage for the backup

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Actually this is my first time doing a rollback so....

Rollback execution in DCS involves downloading files?

I thought it would be like just deleting existing files and wouldn't take much time^^;

Sorry for my dumb question ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No question is dumb buddy , never be afraid to ask something

Yes rolling back involves downloading anything from a few 100 MBs to a couple of Gig depending on what has changed between versions

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I thought it would be like just deleting existing files and wouldn't take much time^^;

Sorry for my dumb question ;)

If you deleted the new files then you have to replace them with something and you have to get that something by downloading.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Whenever updater downloads and installs new files, it deletes the old, replaced ones from your computer. Pretty much like every PC game out there. So during a rollback, it has to get those back from the server again.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

A good practice is to backup your entire DCS installation after each upgrade or patch with version control enabled. Keep the last 3 versions or so.

- DCS release

- DCS alpha

- DCS beta

to an external drive on USB 3.0.

If there is something wrong, you can easily restore the installation.

I mean, an external drive costs you $80 for 1TB and it is an easy backup solution.

Maybe also consider to backup your entire system, so that when you have an issue you can restore and you don't use the license keys ...

[/TABLE]

Unfortunately yes, we all went through the same....

I did upgrade before the 1.5.7 but won't now thanks to your thread.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Maybe also consider to backup your entire system, so that when you have an issue you can restore and you don't use the license keys ...

You don't use license keys regardless how you do it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: