SSD just died!

It is the Samsung black, had it for about 2 years, last night was downloading something from Steam and the PC froze, recycled it and it booted from by HDD an old profile!

Doesnt recognise the SSD at all.

Is that it dead, deceased, no longer of this world or can you recover them?

Im trying leaving it plugged into power only as an interweb page suggested but not holding out.

Is this common and if getting a new one, are more expensive ones less likely to siffer this fate or is it just a thing that can happen to SSD's?

Its a lot of DCS to re-download thats for sure.....

I don't know if it's common, but when SSDs go, the go suddenly.

Does UEFI/BIOS see the disk? Could the boot order have changed to default settings due to a bad battery on the MB?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I had an M.2 drive die on me after 2 weeks use; Windows was nice enough to tell me to save whatever I can and replace my hard drive as it failed. You will never see the SSD drive again when it fails - not in disk management, not in My Computer...BIOS might be able to see its serial number and hardware id and note that it is both plugged in and has power, but thats about it.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I don't know if it's common, but when SSDs go, the go suddenly.

Does UEFI/BIOS see the disk? Could the boot order have changed to default settings due to a bad battery on the MB?

I was a premature, so last night it went and I couldnt see it in the bios or anything. Same again this morning.

So I did as this internet page said and jest left the power in for 60 minutes or more but not the SATA.

I typed this thread then thought it's been an hour so lets see. Plugged it in and went to bios and there it was the little bugger!!

Booted back up and I have started backing up all those things I dont want to lose on my USB Hard Drive!!

So if anyone is reading this, try the above method before you throw the SSD against a wall!

My understanding is non professional series SSD's die you can no longer access them at all and the likes of professional SSD's intel NVME750 series should be readable unless it's the interface that died of course. Unless that has changed over the last couple of years??

Don't forget to do the DRM thing for all your starforce modules whilst you still can. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well I read it in a white paper from some data center re SSD data recovery I assume it has as much merit as the rest of the interwebs. This is also going back a few years now and typically a consumer SSD would brick itself typically where as the claim that an enterprise SSD would supposedly lock itself into read only mode. I do remember at the time thinking why not have that failure mode in both enterprise and consumer units.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

i suppose the prof drives could have redundant controllers and redundant storage memory, along with external circuitry and firmware to switch between the failing and working pieces, but it seems excessive.

we don’t do this in our data centers. instead, we buy redundant cheap drives and safeguard the data with backups.

but your suggestion definitely looks like the easier and less hassle one