Radeon VII, what do you guys think ?

Glad to hear Jumbik. Also, I see you run multiple displays. How does that work with AMD ? I plan to keep my current monitor as primary display for anything but games and add 55" Tv for eye candies in games. Is setting up multiple displays with AMD easy ?

Also, I think I just maxed my VRAM usage too. Recording at 3440x1440p with very high settings and OBS (65000 bit rate) I've reached 11195 Mb of GPU memory usage according to MSI afterburner. That Radeon VII looks more and more appealing.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setting up multiple displays is easy. It was easy even with nvidia, but I had technical problems there.

But regarding gaming, if you want to switch displays while gaming, be prepared that either the game has to support output to a different display than primary one or you will have have to switch your primary manually before running the game.

I use my tv as a video output mainly. For example I play a game on main, watch twitch on second and play a movie on tv at the same time. You just use different audio output for the movie and all is fine. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Oh I just plan to do 90 % of the stuff on the monitor and rest like playing DCS or other sims on the TV.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Simple moded watter loop and magic happens. Proper AIO cards will be monstrous.

Second generation 7nm cards will be good. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Yeah, I've seen it. 2200 Mhz on core, that is insance going from 1800 stock. My 1080Ti can be OCed to 2020 Mhz tops by comparison, no matter how much voltage I pump, it crashes at higher clocks. So 2200 Mhz Vega VII must produce interesting results.

I have had my ASUS Radeon VII for 24 hours now and flown DCS as well as other titles for the past day. I am seeing a range of 60-140 fps depending on the flight. In VR, I am seeing 45-75 fps (using default DCS VR Settings).

RAM usage is between 7 to 14.1 gb of VRAM depending on the mission and settings.

For me, so far I am impressed. I have another computer with an nVidia 1070 with 8gb RAM and the Radeon VII is smoother. At least to me.

I will let others judge for themselves, as I though I would share my obersvations. Can't wait for the Tomcat to see how that looks. :thumbup:

What CPU's are you running with each setup? I'm very interested to see what performance delta's there are between the 1070 and VII in VR.

Thanks for any more info you can share!

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed AMD for a very long time from the Radeon 8500 128 MB all the way to the HD 7970 GHz edition, which is still playing modern games in my son's PC with great frame rates and quality settings at 1920x1200.

But performance needs of DCS and VR, power consumption/heat generation, and cost effectiveness led me to buy an MSI GTX 1080 Duke for $470 to replace the 7970 (giving it to my son) rather than RX 580 or Vega.

AMD drivers caused a few problems over the many years I used ATi/AMD gpus, but I have had a number of problems with drivers for the GTX 1080, too.

For the right price, I would love to try the Radeon VII. I particularly love the size and speed of the memory. But a 2080 costs about the same, performs about the same, but uses a lot less power and runs cooler.

Decisions, decisions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loving my Radeon VII. Working well in my FX-8350 machine while I wait for Ryzen 3. Doubled framerates coming from Fury X. Really like having the 16GB HBM2 and 1TB bandwidth when I see the 17-22GB of VMEM when running the Tomcat in MP. Have yet to hear the fans everyone complains about.

Loving my Radeon VII. Working well in my FX-8350 machine while I wait for Ryzen 3. Doubled framerates coming from Fury X. Really like having the 16GB HBM2 and 1TB bandwidth when I see the 17-22GB of VMEM when running the Tomcat in MP. Have yet to hear the fans everyone complains about.

Good to hear do you do any DCS VR flying?

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Havent tried any VR with the R VII yet, I will DCS VR try this weekend perhaps. I will let you know. Keep in mind, I have Lenovo WMR. It works, but it's no Pimax.

Nothing wrong with the lenovo imo.. it's the least expensive VR headset for windows @ $99USD

without controllers, has a higher resolution than the rift natively, which is only beat by the odyssey, vive pro, and pimax for the most part and still has room for improvement in DCS as far as I can tell until we break more boundaries in the industry regarding dx12/vulkan or as faster hardware comes over time for higher framerates or even higher levels of supersampling.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hi guys,

I'm still waiting for the fittings aaaaargh. For now, the Byksky RC-Controller for 2 GRB stripes and 8 fans delivered with the R7 waterblock doesn't do anything, but lights work unless you want red light. Pink or orange o.k., but no 255 0 0 red. Asked them, let's see.

When all parts are here, i'll set it up, test and report for a 4k Monitor and a Pimax 4k.

I saw a thread that Sapphire Nitro are not planning to release a modded Radeon VII and instead are waiting for navi. Will probably pull the trigger on this soon, 3.5 GB of Vram in my 970 is killing me.
I feel your pain man, I'm limping along with my 970 as well. I'm really conflicted on RTX vs. Radeon VII or even waiting until the new Ryzen and Navi release.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain man, I'm limping along with my 970 as well. I'm really conflicted on RTX vs. Radeon VII or even waiting until the new Ryzen and Navi release.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah same dude! If the 2080 had shipped with 12GB of VRam then I would have been all for it. The thing is though, I've had my fingers burnt pretty badly with the jump in VRam between Maxwell and Pascal in the past, and am a little hesitant to opt for just 8GB - especially given DCS Multiplayer. :lol:

Does anyone who currently owns a Radeon VII play Squad or Post Scriptum - and if so - what's the performance like? I've seen the Radeon VII get a lot of bad rep with X-Plane 11 and OpenGL in general, but it's hardly surprising when the people who are testing it assume that 16GB of VRam means that you can crank everything up to the max. Most notably here with reflections:

Laminar has stated there does not exist a consumer computer that is powerful enough to get high fps in all situations with all settings at max. Seems little unfair on AMD.

Will wait for a bit more information to surface but it's between the Radeon VII and a 2080 for me.

Regards,

Digby

Oh I am so glad I went with DCS looking at that video, just saying. :)

Having 16GB wont necessarily allow you to have all the eye candy, it should allow you to load so much more in to VRAM on the GPU. DCS whilst a 'good" GPU really helps it's only part of the equation. As an observation the larger VRAM you have might help for VR multi player as in MP I get to use 10.somthing GB of VRAM as opposed to 7 to 8GB of VRAM in SP.

Eye candy is a function of CPU and GPU grunt and the fastest RAM to can throw at it.

I am rather keen to see if the Radeon VII benefits enough from the faster VRAM and my reasoning here is in my current rig even a 1080Ti is capable of good results in VR so the Radeo VII may be a cost effective GPU especially compared to a 2080Ti.

I'll just put it out there, if someone wants me to test a Radeon VII just PM me,.. :D

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, yesterday ww2 mission at 1440p consumed 10.1 Gb of Vram. I am more and more inclined to believe that this 16 Gb in case of demanding scenarios in DCS is not an overblow.

Im skeptical we can draw any conclusions from what windows reports as vram used. I suspect its a lot like windows task manager showing "memory used" in older versions of windows; it would basically always show ~80% used no matter what. People would think they needed more ram, because they where running "out of memory", but adding more ram would not help, because windows would just use that extra ram for caching more data from disk (since W10, task manager no longer shows disk cache as "being used" so its a bit more meaningful now).

With GPUs, the vram usage is not governed by the OS but the drivers. Drivers will allocate vram if they think they may need it, but they may not actually use it all. Windows wouldnt be able to tell the difference. And its also reasonable to assume drivers will load/keep as many textures and other things in vram as they can, even if that data may never be needed (again) or only very rarely. So "running out of vram" might only result in a tiny little unmeasurable performance hit, just like "running out of system memory" (when in reality, it was used as cache) would basically only result in windows reducing the size of the disk cache by a bit, and adding more ram would only increase the cache, which (unlike actually running out of ram and needing to go to virtual memory) might make no difference at all in many scenarios. Adding 16GB of ram was not going to make notepad any faster, even if windows said it was using almost all your memory.

Edited by Vertigo72

See also this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3897350&postcount=12

It may explain why many people think more vram increases performance. In reality cards that have more vram, like the Radeon 7 or the Ti versions of the 1080 and 2080, often have significantly higher texel fill rates, as they have more TMU and ROPs, which is much more likely the cause of their increased performance in DCS. Games that rely more on shaders than textures, which is probably most current popular games, will not benefit nearly as much from the extra texels. But my guess is DCS does, because its fill rate limited. So yes, you want the Ti version. But not because it has more vram.

Edited by Vertigo72

True but there is also wider memory bus on the Ti and higher through put over the non Ti version 256bit vs 384bit or 448GB/s vs 616GB/s.

Then there is the Radeon VII 4096bit wide and 1TB/s bandwidth.

The fact that we have more memory on the Ti is only part of the specs and I'm guessing if more "data" can be loaded direct into VRAM that's a plus as well.

True but there is also wider memory bus on the Ti and higher through put over the non Ti version 256bit vs 384bit or 448GB/s vs 616GB/s.

True for the 1080 and 2080. But for instance not for the 1070 vs 1070 Ti. Would be interesting to see how much difference there is between a 1070 and a 1070 Ti

True for the 1080 and 2080. But for instance not for the 1070 vs 1070 Ti. Would be interesting to see how much difference there is between a 1070 and a 1070 Ti

All the benchmarks i've seen show about 5%

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Where have you seen ANY recent DCS benchmarks comparing various videocards in otherwise identical systems? Or do you mean you have seen benchmarks of other games?

Would love to see DCS benchmarks , but they are not happening . I'm also particularly interested in the Radeon 7 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2