TGP occlusion

oni14128

Having a hard time hitting targets with the gbu12s due to the body of the aircraft including the sensor. I have been trying at 10k ft agl and banking 30 degrees after bomb separation. However the sensor always get covered before impact and I end up missing. Any thoughts (e.g. lower/higher alt, lower/higher bank angle)

Thanks

If you're dropping in AUTO mode, try using DSL and dropping from slightly further away.

AUTO drops right at the very end of the allowable release range, so at 10,000 feet you're already pretty close to the target. If you bank away at 30 degrees, you might end up with the target behind you, and the TPOD as mounted on the Harrier doesn't have a very good field of view in that direction. If you stick with AUTO mode, maybe try a steeper bank to keep the target abeam of you.

I've been dropping using DSL mode, however; GBU-12s will easily fly 5-6nm from the release point starting at 10,000 feet and 350+ knots TAS. That allows for a shallower bank, and it seems like an easier profile with respect to the TPOD limits.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission