Huey has more power?

104th_Money

I could have sworn that after this latest update, the Huey goes a bit faster and has more power even with exhaust temps slightly below the max green. Tried online and offline and really seems like it...

Just flew it again and noticed that when increasing speed in forward flight as you back off left pedal and are able to fly without the pedals, it doesnt yaw as much to the right and its a smoother transition.

Just seems a bit more stable as well...

Edited by 104th_Money

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

Check IGE OGE torque values for hovering to see if the engine got boomed up.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I wish the Bell 212 was modeled instead of the 204. In a previous life I worked as a forestry fire fighter on a helitack crew. Our 212 was an absolute work horse. My favorite though was the Bell 47 with turbine conversion.

As it is right now I feel like I'm playing EGT "death simulator" and not having much fun flying the 204.

Processor: i7-8700K CPU @ 5.1GHz (OC)

Memory: 16384MB RAM DDR 4266

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI FE

VR: PiMax 5K+

HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO

HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50

I've never flown a real Huey but this one definitely requires attention to the EGT now and has a lot less power than before, even when unloaded. In the book Chickenhawk the pilots did seem to think that the Huey was very underpowered for what was being asked of it. I have yet to ever destroy the DCS version though unless I wanted to test the EGT limits on purpose. It does need work though and pretty much always has, particularly with the startup procedure and power/EGT.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I am not a real helicopter pilot, like many of you I have a love for Huey and have been flying this one for a few years.

In Chickenhawk Bob Mason describes why the D model Huey was underpowered, the H has 300 or so more shp than the D. Air density and heat are enemies of helicopters from what I have gathered....on Caucusus map I have plenty of power, and nowhere near enough on the desert maps. Seems normal to me?

The EGT modeling does seem a bit exaggerated, but the helicopter is useable and more on the realistic side than it used to be. Not saying blowing up and shedding the main is realistic, but having limitations and consequences is. Before all of this you could wind it up to 50% torque, set you attitude hold, and blast out making 125kts without any issues. That's fairly unrealistic.

Now we have a hard limit, you have to trade gunners for gas, etc, and I like it. I hated being on ops and flying disciplined while some novice is zipping around running the red line, usually a squad mate who didn't fly Huey often and couldn't be bothered with how to actually fly one by the numbers.

I get a huge sense of satisfaction solving the problem, and am proud to say that I have only suffered 02 incidences, which is more than I'd be allowed in real life, one was my first, the other I predicted and kept flying it how I was anyways to prove a point to another member. Point is that you can fly this helicopter just fine without it being the "death simulator".

Keep a "weather eye" on your EGT like you do your torque gauge. I generally have about 5% less power available on PG than I do on Caucusus. Seems realistic to me?

~Rob

I always cheat when building missions. For me, there's always a maximum of 15 Degrees Celsius in the persian gulf so my huey doesnt blow up as soon as I reach about 70 kias.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Yes - I've noticed an apparent increase in power and/or lift on the Huey in the past week, wherein using the same loadouts, I get noticeably better lift in hover, and higher cruise speed. I am also easily able to complete the UN Pilot campaign mission involving the rescue of a downed pilot ('Diego'). Before, I did not have enough power to get out easily after picking up the downed crew. Now there is plenty of power to lift off and climb away.

As to engine fires, I don't know why so many people have trouble managing their exhaust gas temperature. I never give myself engine fires anymore (had lots when 1st learning Huey) - I leave that to enemy action now. Just back off the collective if your EGT dial gets above the green zone, and if you need to go above the green zone for take-off, make sure to back off as soon as you can - within a minute or so and once you have transitioned to forward flight. Then check your EGT dial occasionally - especially after a change in collective or flight regime (like if you have to start climbing over a mountain, hauling a sling load, or something) to make sure that you are not inadvertently running above green zone. Easy-peasy.

If you cannot stay in the air and in the EGT green-zone at the same time, then you are overloaded and need to reduce weight. This is why pilots do a hover test - to see if they can get in the air while staying within safe limits. Remember that you can't take a full fuel tank, weapons, and passengers. You have to trade-off between these three things when preparing for flight. Watch your total weight on the weapons configuration window. If you are taking troops, leave a margin of 200 lbs per extra passenger.

Also, some weapons are lighter - mini-guns for your door gunners weigh a LOT more than M60s, for example. Most on-line missions don't require more than 50% fuel load or so.

If you use auto-pilot (simulate allowing other pilot to fly) be careful to set your collective well in the green zone first, and monitor EGT dial anyway, because auto-pilot sometimes will run EGT in the red, even though you handed off in the green. If you just assume auto-pilot knows what it's doing then you may wind up with an engine melt-down.

The Huey works fine if you follow the flight operating restrictions outlined in the manual and visible on your flight instruments.

Edited by fencible