Evolution of a Low Level helicopter slalom.

Holbeach

Nicely done, some smooth flying there as usual.

I see you are using Facetracknoir.

My Trackir packed in today and I am looking at alternatives.

How are you finding it?

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

NOIR works fairly well but lighting and the curves are picky. They need to be spot on. I don't know enough about Track IR or anything else out there to recommend one over the other. I was just bored one day and picked up a used PS3 camera and tried it out. I'd say though that it was worth the 9.99 USD camera cost.

I've been flight simming since the mid 80's (except for an extended break to learn to fly irl) Anything "headtracking" related is going to be tough for me to get used to.

Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Natural Point TrackIR but I need to let the wife forget about the money I just spent on building my computer. It's either that or be real nice to her, glad she has a short memory.

Edited by irqpawn
Spelling

I've had TrackIR 4 for 10 years and I use it for everything, mostly Flight and car racing sims and now it's broke, I can't do without it. I spent a day trying to get it to work, when my wife said, put it in the freezer overnight. So I did and bugger me, it worked. Now I give it 30 mins at -18C, then 5 mins at room temp and it's ready to use, every time I start it. The alternative is, spend 140 quid on the flimsiest, cheapest looking piece of hardware you ever saw, but one way or another, you've got to have a head tracker.

Regards.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I've heard good things about the proper TrackIR stuff. Also heard that the optional track-clip that mounts to ones headset is rubbish.

Is the reflector that you wear on a hat just as good and can it be mounted to a headset?

Cheers

By default the shape and length of the reflectors "tree" is designed strictly for mounting on a cap, plus TiR software has two modes of operation to recognize position and movement of reflectors correctly (one for the clip, one for the hat), so there's no way to combine them by attaching a "tree" to a headset "out of the box". I guess one could take a piece of thick wire and make his own supporting rod, which would mount a tree to the headset so that the reflectors would dangle in front of the the forehead... but it's more simple to just use a damn hat :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Precision-wise - I've no idea, as I never had a clip. Early reviews from time when it was introduced suggested it didn't pick up all the movements correctly. On the other hand, I've read more recent opinions that it works OK. Assymetric layout is certainly worse than a tree on a hat, on the other hand, LEDs on a clip probably deal a bit better with any light in the room than "passive" reflectors.

But even if the clip offers the same precision as a hat, there was no way in hell I was going to pay for it the amount of money they wanted. So a year ago I decided to break the piggy bank and I bought only the basic TiR 5 set (still a bit overpriced thing as You noticed!) and I've been a happy flyer ever since.

The only disadvantage of a hat I can imagine is playing during summer. Normal people usually don't sit in hats at their homes when it's scorching hot inside/outside. But even that can be solved somewhat by buying just a better hat - any will do, as long as it has a roof to attach reflector tree to it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...

Huey side door gunner and wing over practice. :gun_rifle:

I've set up this training mission, to start using the only weapon I'm interested in on the Huey, the door gunner. With Baker on the left door and Ginger on the right door, Ginger gets all the fun with his Gatling gun. Using the TrackIr to aim is hard to get used to, whilst flying the Huey from the gunner position. Scenario: A transport convoy has stopped to refuel, so we're off to surprise them with a low approach. Then it's back to the FARP with a high speed rejoin. Version 1.5.3

-moved-

Edited by Holbeach
Added the text.

Huey side door gunner. Similar to previous vid. but with prettier scenery and is preparation to flying the whole mission from the gunner position. Last vid. in version 1.5.3.

Gun sighting is by TrackIR. Good fun this!

-moved-

Edited by Holbeach

Flown from the gunner position except the landing. The eventual goal is the do the landing as well, (I'm working on it).

This is a flight from Helipad 2 to pad 1, passing over the town of Shroma, where we spot an enemy transport unit, camped in the town. Version 1.5.4. New gun sound and no power lines visible.

-moved-

Edited by Holbeach

• 2 weeks later...

Time trial Slalom Mk 4, has stopped working for me, due to a sudden drop in frame rates, but Mk 1, 2 and 3 are still OK.

Edited by Holbeach
Punctuation.

This mission is designed to practice low and slow piloting, from the side gunner seat, using the TrackIR to aim with.

Moved.

Edited by Holbeach
Added text.

This is my first full run of the 8 nm, Mk 5 slalom, to prove the route.

Follow the white containers, under the wires and between the towers.

This one is significantly easier than the previous Mk 4 version.

Huey power line. Mk 5.miz

Edited by Holbeach

• 1 month later...

After 10 yrs in Lockon/DCS, this is my first ever mission, "Mt Elbrus"

I fancied this one because it's non combat and overloaded T/O and it's excellent. :thumbup:

This is my 1st successful trip, down the mountain with the 1st squad. I overshot the FARP, because I was concentrating on smoke in the distance.

Never mind, we all lived. :)

Edited by Holbeach

After bringing the injured men down from the mountain, it's refuel, then back up to the higher peak to bring the rest down. This is my first completed mission, but it didn't trigger a success, I don't know why, so I'll have to do it all again. Never mind, it's a great mission.

Edited by Holbeach

• 1 month later...
I've made a few alterations to the route and added some mountains. The changing elevations give an opportunity to use the full collective range.There are 6 FARPS to practice landings on the route. This is just testing the route to make sure it works.

An update stopped this working some time ago, but it seems to be OK now.

Only the very brave should try this NOE practice route.

Edited by Holbeach

• 4 weeks later...

DCS, Huey, power line slalom challenge, Mk4.

Time: 8:40

On landing at once landed, I did not fly for several years.

You can fly for less than 8 minutes, if desired.

Сhallenge slalom MK4 !!!:joystick: :pilotfly:

Edited by frwind

I am flying the same route on the P-51.

Along the route, you can fly just in front at the mountain, you pass one container to be able to accelerate to climb the slope.

That was great. I love to see that kind of innovation. :pilotfly:

Why didn't I think of it? :doh:

Time: 7:52

Full throttle and stick away from you :joystick:

That was fast.

I bet there's nobody out there good enough to beat that time. :)

Thx : )

I think for the 7:30 is also possible to fly, a lot of mistakes in flight.

It is necessary to fly Mi-8 : )

Yes there are a few parts where time could be chipped away.

I tried the Mi-8, but it was too fat to get under the wires.

You could also try the simpler Mk 5 version with a C-101B, instead of the Huey.

Edited by Holbeach
Changed A-10 for C-101B.