Major stuttering SteamVR 1.1.3 Vive

zafgev

Anyone experiencing major stutter issues with Vive and latest SteamVR 1.1.3 drivers? By stutters I don't mean ghosting or low frame rates. This is high framerate freezes/stutters. Prior to this - previous stable SteamVR version was running smooth as silk.

Any ideas how to rollback to previous SteamVR stable versions or any other bright ideas?

Edited by zafgev

I have the same problem (openBeta) with the same gear and version. I tried on SP and MP, same results. I tried to have proof of it, clipping it with Nvidia, but the result is a perfect uncorrupted video, while on my goggles the video is stuttering exactly as you say.

In my case the image corruption happens after the starting menu, while choosing a mission, it gets worse while loading and it's totally present when onboard a plane.

I don’t really know if it’s the latest Nvidia Update or the SteamVr one that caused it but I sincerely hope it will be fixed in the next ED update, it's difficult to fly like this :)

I fixed it just by having a look on the new Steam features.

The 27 of Nov. they added: "SteamVR Motion Smoothing".

open your SteamVR client - go to properties - video tab- de-activate Motion Smoothing option.

I hope it helped, I had no more issues after that.

:)

I fixed it just by having a look on the new Steam features.

The 27 of Nov. they added: "SteamVR Motion Smoothing".

open your SteamVR client - go to properties - video tab- de-activate Motion Smoothing option.

I hope it helped, I had no more issues after that.

:)

Thanks - that was the first thing I turned off when I saw it in the settings. With that off I still have major stuttering which makes it horrible to fly. I still don't have a workaround for the problem unfortunately.

Having same problem on Odyssey+ there is no motion smoothing on it. I have noticed one big thing on Steam VR they have all reprojection on by default now so interleaved is also on which did not do good with DCS. There is no box to uncheck now so you can not turn it off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having same problem on Odyssey+ there is no motion smoothing on it. I have noticed one big thing on Steam VR they have all reprojection on by default now so interleaved is also on which did not do good with DCS. There is no box to uncheck now so you can not turn it off.

Steam/steamapps/common/mixedrealityvrdriver/resources/settings/ edit the file in there with notepad and delete the two // before "MotionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

mprojection.thumb.JPG.4f6451b48f2ad060cd7c77cdc4318bd3.JPG

It introduces some anomalies but for me causes smooth gameplay as long as I can maintain at least 45 fps, which I'm able to do with nice eye candy on my gpu. IME better on than off. Without editing that file and enabling the "new" motion reprojection feature the world outside can look like a slideshow due to not being able to maintain 90 fps, or at least above 80. The ""motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true, is kind of cool too. Puts a box in the top left of the left eye that's green when 90 fps, dark blue if on because GPU limitation, light blue if on because CPU limitation, and red if fps is below 45 and therefore off.

Other than that - are you flying in maps with cloud cover? Try flying in clear skies and see how things run. I get stuttering from clouds. True even when I last tried pancake mode.

P.S. I'm a little jelly of your Odyssey+

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Steam/steamapps/common/mixedrealityvrdriver/resources/settings/ edit the file in there with notepad and delete the two // before "MotionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

[ATTACH]199777[/ATTACH]

It introduces some anomalies but for me causes smooth gameplay as long as I can maintain at least 45 fps, which I'm able to do with nice eye candy on my gpu. IME better on than off. Without editing that file and enabling the "new" motion reprojection feature the world outside can look like a slideshow due to not being able to maintain 90 fps, or at least above 80. The ""motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true, is kind of cool too. Puts a box in the top left of the left eye that's green when 90 fps, dark blue if on because GPU limitation, light blue if on because CPU limitation, and red if fps is below 45 and therefore off.

Other than that - are you flying in maps with cloud cover? Try flying in clear skies and see how things run. I get stuttering from clouds. True even when I last tried pancake mode.

Fantastic for jets no question. Prop planes though its too distracting, but I think some planes like the Bf 109 are unaffected. Have to say wish I could use it with modules like the spitfire, cause it is so damned smooth! Helicopters seem to work well I think, though there are some artifacts that may get annoying after a while. What a shame that motion smoothing's kryptonite are things that spin, and I am in love with flying WW2 prop planes! Gonna have to learn some of the jets I think!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Fantastic for jets no question. Prop planes though its too distracting, but I think some planes like the Bf 109 are unaffected. Have to say wish I could use it with modules like the spitfire, cause it is so damned smooth! Helicopters seem to work well I think, though there are some artifacts that may get annoying after a while. What a shame that motion smoothing's kryptonite are things that spin, and I am in love with flying WW2 prop planes! Gonna have to learn some of the jets I think!

IMO Just leave it on you get used to it. Though admittedly I mostly fly Jets and helos in DCS. At least in my case everything in flight simming just seems much smoother with it on auto.

*edit* oh wait.. you have a vive listed in your sig. ;) Not sure how steamVR's new motion reprojection is compared to WMR, but ime ever since they added the function to WMR it's been a bit of a blessing. Still with some weirdness, but still I only really notice it when I'm looking for it. In the heat of battle in MP I'm too busy trying to find an enemy or stay alive to really notice, and for the most part things look good. I'd still fly with it on in DCS WWII if I spent much time flying it.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

IMO Just leave it on you get used to it. Though admittedly I mostly fly Jets and helos in DCS. At least in my case everything in flight simming just seems much smoother with it on auto.

*edit* oh wait.. you have a vive listed in your sig. ;) Not sure how steamVR's new motion reprojection is compared to WMR, but ime ever since they added the function to WMR it's been a bit of a blessing. Still with some weirdness, but still I only really notice it when I'm looking for it. In the heat of battle in MP I'm too busy trying to find an enemy or stay alive to really notice, and for the most part things look good. I'd still fly with it on in DCS WWII if I spent much time flying it.

Motion smoothing is actually really good almost flawless fluidity fo helis and jets. Normandy though in planes such as the spit, flying on the epsom campaign, I think you would find difficult to ignore! Prop artifacts to the point where it feels as if you are underwater!

Normandy really needs alot more effort put into it. Looks awful close to the ground, and the performance is much worse than downtown las vegas!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Motion smoothing is actually really good almost flawless fluidity fo helis and jets. Normandy though in planes such as the spit, flying on the epsom campaign, I think you would find difficult to ignore! Prop artifacts to the point where it feels as if you are underwater!

Normandy really needs alot more effort put into it. Looks awful close to the ground, and the performance is much worse than downtown las vegas!

I do own wwii modules for DCS, but expect it's the same as some other sim in my arsenal, and I am too busy turning my head around not wanting to get shot down to notice honestly. My last flight in the p-51 in DCS was about the same. If I'm looking, I can see it, if I'm focused on SA or dogfighting it's not even a thought in my mind.

Spoiler

I do own wwii modules for DCS, but expect it's the same as some other sim in my arsenal, and I am too busy turning my head around not wanting to get shot down to notice honestly. My last flight in the p-51 in DCS was about the same. If I'm looking, I can see it, if I'm focused on SA or dogfighting it's not even a thought in my mind.

Well actually I notice it more now since motion smoothing. Trouble is can't use MS on modules like the spitfire, or I can but its distracting especially on heavy missions. But having tried MS its kinda spoiled me and makes the default reprojection a little more noticible. But you're right it all tends to melt away in dogfights!

Gonna use motion smoothing from now on even in spits though, and just roleplay thats the effect a propeller and gunsight combined with the heat from the engines create! Also mapped gunsight control to my flight stick so it can be turned on and off in battle, as as you say in battle it matters little.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------