F18 GUN SIGHT ACCURACY

Badger633

I spent a good two hours tonight testing this. Various different scenarios, maps, loudouts, hot start, cold start, rearmed, not rearmed, before and after tanking, after expending other ground munitions (as some had suggest), after firing A/A missiles, single player, mutliplayer... everything I could think of...

And It didn't once reappear :huh:

Yet I got it twice a couple of days ago.. Sigh.

Its a tricky one to nail down for sure. If you get it I suggest recording a track!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Its a tricky one to nail down for sure. If you get it I suggest recording a track!

I have a track, but it's useless.

The problem is that when you play the track back, the gunsight appears in the correct position!!!

The image I posted showing the difference between bugged and not bugged is the same flight, once during the flight (bugged) and once when I played back the track (not bugged) :dunno:

I have a track, but it's useless.

The problem is that when you play the track back, the gunsight appears in the correct position!!!

The image I posted showing the difference between bugged and not bugged is the same flight, once during the flight (bugged) and once when I played back the track (not bugged) :dunno:

Ack!:(

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Try air-start with F-MAV's, shoot of the Mav's on real targets. After I get the bugged gun sight.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Yeah, the track system is horrible. Most of my tracks I take off, then at some point my plane falls out of the air and crashes into the ground when actually. i flew a good mission, landed perfectly in the end. It makes me wonder how they can use it for bug reports when it doesn't give correct data back.

As far as I understand, you only need to have your radar altimeter running: the aircraft's on-board computers know your airspeed and dive angle. That should be enough information for accurate CCIP-calculations.

The radar altimeter is accurate only if the ground is completely flat, because it calculates based on the ground elevation of the ground you are flying above. If the target is on a slightly different elevation, then the solution is wrong (maybe not by much, but still). This is especially true for targets on slopes etc.

Using AGR should fix or at least improve that.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Try air-start with F-MAV's, shoot of the Mav's on real targets. After I get the bugged gun sight.

Tried that... Gunsight was fine after. Maybe you could post a mission thats bugged for you?

Proud owner of:

Tried that... Gunsight was fine after. Maybe you could post a mission thats bugged for you?

Unfortunately this bug can't be isolated to a specific mission. I can fly the same mission and sometimes have the bug, and other times have a good gun sight. Many of us have tried to isolate this but I think it is something deeper than a user triggered (no pun intended) issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know if it has been mentioned. I also don’t know if it would matter or not. But, could it be an issue of having the HUD caged or not? Until recently I was unaware of this feature. Seems like it might cause an issue?

I don’t know if it has been mentioned. I also don’t know if it would matter or not. But, could it be an issue of having the HUD caged or not? Until recently I was unaware of this feature. Seems like it might cause an issue?
HUD can only be caged/uncage toggled in Navigation master mode. In A/G, it's uncaged; in A/A, caged.

I didn't have this for quite some time either, but it popped up again on one of my recent flights. Too bad I don't have a track of that.

Unfortunately tracks don't seem to show the problem anyway.

I recorded a track before when it happened, but when playing back the track the gun sight shows as being in the correct place!

I don't know what else we can do to help ED find the bug, as it seems to occur randomly.

• 10 months later...

Think I have something similar going on right now.

Been loading into several instant play single player missions with the F18.

Every time I want to do gun strafing, the rounds always go way above the target. Didn't have this problem in the stable release, but seems to happen after I updated to the open beta.

Edit:

I've had a run where it has acted normal again now, not sure what makes it wonky.

Comparing footage I took when it was off vs now, the only difference I can see is that the gun target "dot" is aligned roughly with the bottom of the altitude/airspeed boxes on the hud when the sight is off, and just over those same boxes when the sight is correct. (This is with the same plane, same mission, same everything, just pointing at the sky).

Tried to make a comparison. Same plane, same mission, same stores, pretty much same altitude/airspeed/aoa etc:

YQHXJdd.jpg

Edited by Photon
additions

Very good catch, Photon ! Looks like pipper is lower now in the HUD by about a pipper-radius, so if you point the nose higher now to aim with the lower pipper, the bullets will impact that much higher than they should. Obvious.

I tried to report similar gun problem with A/A earlier, but I tought the reason was maybe wrong calculation of G or wrong distance data to compute lead for the pipper, but your finding is even simplier, and hard to catch without HUD pic comparison. The pipper is misaligned with the gun axis, like if you would set your crosshair in a scope too low. To aim at bullseye with the crosshair being lower than it should, you raise the scope a bit higher, and the rifle will shoot higher at the end. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now it is ED's turn... :smilewink:

Edited by Razor18

Very good catch, Photon ! Looks like pipper is lower now in the HUD by about a pipper-radius, so if you point the nose higher now to aim with the lower pipper, the bullets will impact that much higher than they should. Obvious.

I tried to report similar gun problem with A/A earlier, but I tought the reason was maybe wrong calculation of G or wrong distance data to compute lead for the pipper, but your finding is even simplier, and hard to catch without HUD pic comparison. The pipper is misaligned with the gun axis, like if you would set your crosshair in a scope too low. To aim at bullseye with the crosshair being lower than it should, you raise the scope a bit higher, and the rifle will shoot higher at the end. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now it is ED's turn... :smilewink:

just noticed this issue...in A/A mission aiming at a very close and stable target, the bullet will always be higher and miss the target.