Enhanced Gamemaster Script: Zeus, but for DCS - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #11
lahsoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_5E View Post
Tested again today and all your template spawns work as described. I assumed your Buk units were singles when I saw three different designations for them. My bad.

I can get everything to work ok except spawning my own late activated groups. Tried in stable and open beta, same thing. Is there some kind of naming convention to follow or do they need to be visible before activation? I've set the start time to next day or after as per DCS manual then selected late activation. I can then activate them but can't spawn them.

Simple test mission below (open beta). Maybe you can spot what dumb mistake I'm making (I set my command character to # btw)

PS, a suggestion - could you add a selectable delay for explosions? The person typing in the command doesn't get to see the explosion as it is finished before you get out of map view.
I tested your mission and I found that once I replaced your Moose and the other scripts with the most current one that are linked at the beginning of this thread your late activations worked perfect with the -act- command. Don't know if it was Moose or one of the scripts causing the issue but I would just download and replace all of it with the most current ones. If you used these to begin with they might be corrupted for some reason and a redownloading would take care of that also.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
Hunter_5E

Thanks for testing that out for me, much appreciated.

Thing is though, as I stated in my last post, I can activate groups no problem with -act- but can't spawn them with the -s- command.

I've tried using very simple names, all lower case letters, all upper case letters but nothing works. They just won't spawn for some unknown reason.
Hunter_5E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
Cake/Sorbus

Hmm, I have looked at the mission file you uploaded and I have to admit that I'm stumped. I first confirmed that the groups you have set up do not spawn with the s command on my system as well. Then I added another group and gave it the same arrangement and naming scheme and set it to late activation. That one spawned just fine! What confuses me is that I can see no difference between the group that I have set up and the ones you had already placed in the mission. I've attached my edited version of your test mission. Please check if you can spawn the groups that I added (ARV_Star2 and APC_Star2).

Could you describe to me in detail which steps you take when setting up a group for late activation in the ME? Maybe we can find the error that way...

I like your suggestion of a selectable delay with the explosions, I will add that to the list of planned features.
Attached Files
File Type: miz Zeus Test_Edit.miz (1.12 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Cake/Sorbus; 09-16-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Cake/Sorbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:56 AM   #14
lahsoldier

Quote:
Thanks for testing that out for me, much appreciated.

Thing is though, as I stated in my last post, I can activate groups no problem with -act- but can't spawn them with the -s- command.

I've tried using very simple names, all lower case letters, all upper case letters but nothing works. They just won't spawn for some unknown reason.
Sorry I guess I missed that part but I will say that when I first tried it, I couldn't get anything to spawn with either command. Only after I switched them out could I get them to spawn with act. the "s" command still wouldn't work.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Hunter_5E

Eureka! Found the problem

Turns out I'd been misled by reading the latest "DCS User Manual EN 2020.pdf" in the "Doc" folder in Open Beta. See the screenshot below and note what it says in CAPS AND UNDERLINED.

I can only guess that this hasn't been fully implemented yet as you can clearly activate groups that are NOT set to a start time a day or more after mission start.

You wouldn't have noticed that my start time was set to 8:0:0/2 unless you'd unchecked the late activation tick box. With that box checked, the start time shows as 0:0:0/0.
I set my start time to 8:0:0/0 and that fixed the problem.

Anyway, glad we found the problem - all is good now. Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCS Manual 2020.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	247649  

Last edited by Hunter_5E; 09-17-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
Hunter_5E

@lahsoldier

I had changed my command character to #, as I said in my earlier post. That is why you couldn't get anything to work until you'd changed out the scripts files.

I also said "I've set the start time to next day or after as per DCS manual then selected late activation." which I think you both missed.

Perhaps this is a good reminder to us all to make sure we read and understand other peoples posts before replying to them. We all make that mistake at some point, me included, so no disrespect intended. Just a friendly reminder to us all.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #17
Cake/Sorbus

Quote:
You wouldn't have noticed that my start time was set to 8:0:0/2 unless you'd unchecked the late activation tick box. With that box checked, the start time shows as 0:0:0/0.
I set my start time to 8:0:0/0 and that fixed the problem.

Huh, so that caused the problem! I actually read what you wrote about the start time, but since the group could be activated by command, I wrongly dismissed this as the cause of the issue.

My guess is that the start time somehow keeps MOOSE from recognizing the group as late activated...but it works now, and that's the important bit!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Hunter_5E

Yeah that kinda threw me as well, the fact that they could be activated and the fact that the user manual states in caps and underlined that they MUST be set to a day or so after mission start. I thought this was the norm and what everyone did.

Its a pain that there's totally misleading stuff like that in the official manual but like you said, it works now and that's the main thing.

Thank you again for sharing your Zeus script and for your help in troubleshooting my problem.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
ScopeDope

Sorbus, I just ran across this, and I wanted to say THANK YOU!!!

I have been using another version, its a little clunkier than this one. The ability to just throw a unit/group into the ME and be able to spawn it right up without having to go into the lua and add it is pretty amazing too!

I've also been fighting with AI aircraft as the game master for my group lately, excited to be able to force them into a new orbit pattern without using the ridiculous CA pathing interface!

Again, thank you for this amazing tool, its certainly going to make my life easier to give the boys a proper mission.
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Cake/Sorbus

You're welcome ScopeDope, I'm glad my script is being put to good use!

If you find any bugs, please report them here.