Fight for Honor - A Folds of Honor Charity Event - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #81
speed-of-heat

they do... by competition ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #82
Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout444 View Post
Shouldn't it be a tournament that chooses players who can beat falco?
It's a tournament to benefit charity.

The winner gets to fight Falco.

The player that wins the tournament will have proven that he/she has the best shot of beating Falco among all the other competitors.

Last edited by Mover; 09-15-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #83
TGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk2174 View Post
I just don't get the G-limits, the F14 is limited to its pretty harsh peace time 7G limit and yet its fully capable of pulling more and not only that its hard to control the g in that jet not only due to the location of the g meter but also just the handling of the jet. And in the case of the F15, iirc there was a case in the gulf war of a merge between an F15 and mig25 (29?) where the F15 as far as i'm aware did a 12g split S. Even in the FLCS jets its very possible in certain maneuvers or in particular hard jinks to go over the set g-limits even if you don't intend too. Like... I just want to dogfight not have to be constantly staring at the g-meter. You can't limit yourself based off of feel like irl. I was considering participating but the g-limits, no offset turns, and landing requirement are a major and total off put no interest after reading those.

Agreed!
TGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #84
Relic

If you're a tomcat driver and you still get kills while adhering to the (apparent) real world g-limits, just consider it bragging rights. Besides even with the g-limits I'm sure you guys who are dogfighting every day will be able to mop up guys like me. So have fun.

M-2000C | F/A-18C | F-14B | Bf 109 K-4 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | SA342
i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz | 32GB DDR4 RAM | RTX 2080
T16000M FCS | TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind.V2 Rudder Pedals
"Dialectic"
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #85
Hummingbird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
If you're a tomcat driver and you still get kills while adhering to the (apparent) real world g-limits, just consider it bragging rights. Besides even with the g-limits I'm sure you guys who are dogfighting every day will be able to mop up guys like me. So have fun.
Very big bragging rights I'd say as just keeping SA whilst having to constantly monitor that small G meter far down on the right is a monumental if not impossible task on its own. A real pilot would atleast be able to feel the G's and by that method stay within limits, but us simmers are forced to look down and away from the bandit to constantly check if we're within the G limits.

Hence why I believe this whole G limit thing is a bit silly, but I can also see the argument from the other side, i.e. that they're wanting to keep things more inline with a real life training scenario. It's just I think we lack too many of the cues that a real pilot would have for this rule to really make sense in a competition.

Anyway with that in mind if I was competing I'd stick with a fighter that simply doesn't allow you to pull more G than the max allowed. Do that and you've already given yourself a massive advantage over any of the guys who don't, and hence my prediction is that the M2000 & Viper are gonna be near the top. (M2000 is safest bet with currently rules & performance of aircraft in DCS IMHO)
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 AM   #86
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Very big bragging rights I'd say as just keeping SA whilst having to constantly monitor that small G meter far down on the right is a monumental if not impossible task on its own. A real pilot would atleast be able to feel the G's and by that method stay within limits, but us simmers are forced to look down and away from the bandit to constantly check if we're within the G limits.

Hence why I believe this whole G limit thing is a bit silly, but I can also see the argument from the other side, i.e. that they're wanting to keep things more inline with a real life training scenario. It's just I think we lack too many of the cues that a real pilot would have for this rule to really make sense in a competition.

Anyway with that in mind if I was competing I'd stick with a fighter that simply doesn't allow you to pull more G than the max allowed. Do that and you've already given yourself a massive advantage over any of the guys who don't, and hence my prediction is that the M2000 & Viper are gonna be near the top. (M2000 is safest bet with currently rules & performance of aircraft in DCS IMHO)
Wait, how many of you who don't like the g-limit aren't even competing?

Yes it'll be easy for jets designed for high-g maneuvers (F-15, Mirage, F-16, Flankers?) to do those maneuvers without paying too much attention to the g-limit rule, but the tomcat driver will have to stop destroying his flaps and pulling 9 Gs and the F-18 will have to stop holding down the paddle switch. The F-14 can I *assume* still over-power the mirage, and the F-18 wants to be under 400 knots anyways so the g-limit shouldn't matter other than preventing them from using the switch that they shouldn't be using if they want to simulate a dogfight as opposed to an arcade game. I'm under the impression that the dogfight servers are full of tomcat and hornet drivers who want those jets to do things they aren't supposed to do, but I don't really know.

I really shouldn't engage in this debate because I'm just a singleplayer schmuck so... I should stop here. I doubt I'll make it very far in the bracket anyways, but it'll be fun to try. My buddy is rooting for my opponnents because he wants to laugh at me crash and burn so it's all good my friend

Besides, this way if I DO make it far in the bracket (or win) then everyone can just say it was because the mirage has a high g-limit

"Dialectic"
Old 09-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #87
snipy

Is there any way I can register and pay for some people who won't do it themselves?

If I give them an entry, they'll come suck with confidence with me, otherwise, they won't.
snipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:15 AM   #88
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Gonky and I will be doing a live chat and Q&A specifically about the tournament tonight at 8:30PM ET on my YouTube channel. Bring your questions. Throw spears. We will explain as best we can.

I said to myself "What possible drama could have erupted about a charity event based on a flight game?"

Yes, I know we like to think DCS is a simulation and not a game, but come on people, it's a game. It's a GREAT game with details lacking in any other, but it's still a game. Because no one will every die playing this game.

This happens when people play paintball/laser tag too. People think they can be part of CAG or DEVGRU with awesome shots during a game.

It's mind boggling how people can get wrapped around an axle about nothing.

Also, for those of you that want to support this, you can still go to the website (in Mover's description) and donate w/o having to sign up for the tournament.

Have fun everyone!
Spoiler:
i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #89
Hummingbird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Wait, how many of you who don't like the g-limit aren't even competing?
Well it's part of the reason I don't really want to compete, as I know which aircraft are going to dominate almost solely because of this rule. Hence why I'm arguing against, but respect if they wanna keep it.

The main reason though is that over ocean I lose bandits & SA due to using an inadequate 15" laptop screen, so I'm kinda limited to BFM over desert maps if not allowed to use dot mod.

Quote:
Yes it'll be easy for jets designed for high-g maneuvers (F-15, Mirage, F-16, Flankers?) to do those maneuvers without paying too much attention to the g-limit rule,
It won't be easy in the F-15 as it doesn't have a built in limiter either, hence the Eagle pilot will have to keep an eye on the G's as well, although his HUD G indicator makes this much easier than in the Cat. The aircraft that really benefit from this rule, enormously so, are the ones that don't allow the pilot to supercede the limit, such as the F-16, Mirage & F/A-18 (although the latters FLCS apparently has a tendency to overshoot very briefly sometimes).

Quote:
but the tomcat driver will have to stop destroying his flaps and pulling 9 Gs and the F-18 will have to stop holding down the paddle switch. The F-14 can I *assume* still over-power the mirage, and the F-18 wants to be under 400 knots anyways so the g-limit shouldn't matter other than preventing them from using the switch that they shouldn't be using if they want to simulate a dogfight as opposed to an arcade game. I'm under the impression that the dogfight servers are full of tomcat and hornet drivers who want those jets to do things they aren't supposed to do, but I don't really know.

I really shouldn't engage in this debate because I'm just a singleplayer schmuck so... I should stop here. I doubt I'll make it very far in the bracket anyways, but it'll be fun to try. My buddy is rooting for my opponnents because he wants to laugh at me crash and burn so it's all good my friend

Besides, this way if I DO make it far in the bracket (or win) then everyone can just say it was because the mirage has a high g-limit
Well that's where my "objection", so to speak, starts, because the F-15 & F-16 (and I bet also the Mirage) weren't actually designed with a higher ultimate load limit than the F-14, they were just operated under very different operational conditions which dictated their higher operational load limit. Had the F-14 been selected by the USAAF (Grumman offered it), and orders for new airframes been kept going, it would've ended up with the same G rating as the F-15.

Also I've basically never used auxilliary flaps in dogfights with the F-14 in DCS, I've always just kept it in auto. Mainly as if you're using the auxilliary flaps above 275 kts they jam, and then all the opponenet has to do is start using the vertical and you're done for. So I never really understood why people did it at anything but VERY low speed, where I suppose it's still allowed in FOH.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:27 AM   #90
Relic

Is it possible that the dogfight players have tried to pigeon-hole their airframes into a certain style of guns-only dogfighting when they weren't meant to really fly that way? In other words, they've gameified their sim? Just an assumption of mine. Not sure either way.

Even if I was flying one of the other jets I'd be ok with the rules. I'd just go practice.

Edit: So I probably feel less concerned about this because I don't care if I win or lose, but I know what it's like to be invested in a competition and want to win. I understand. I've won local tournaments with specific rules, and I've lost several fighting game tournaments, coming as close as 5th on less known games. So I get your perspective. But I also think if ya'll are good enough to have a serious shot at winning then you can practice to win under the ruleset and be happy that the money goes to charity.

"Dialectic"

Last edited by Relic; 09-16-2020 at 03:39 AM.