LUU-2B and M257

ashcanpete

I was trying to figure out how to effectively deploy illumination for night missions. I discovered through experimenting that the LUU-2B illumination flares go off pretty much immediately after leaving the plane and then burn as they fall at around 17 mph for about 3500 feet (unless they hit the ground first).

However, in the manual it says: "After ejection, a programmable timer deploys a parachute and ignites the flare candle." I was curious, how you go about programming that timer? I messed around with the FF DIST (which I thought might mean Free Fall Distance) in the INV page of DSMS, but that didn't seem to change anything. It seems that it would be relatively useful to be able to drop the illumination flares from much higher (i.e. above IR SAM range) and then have the flare drop to about 4000 feet before deploying chute and burning.

Also, I was equally curious about the M257 Hydras and how to set how long they fly before deployment. I saw in another thread that the HOT (Height Over Target) setting is not functional, but it seems there should also be some kind of a timer setting here.

EDIT: found this document: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/docs/hydra_info2.pdf

On page 8 it explains the M257 has an interal setback fuse that ignites after flying about 3000 meters, so I'm guessing that can't be changed, even on the ground. Is that 3000 meter figure accurate to how the M257 is modeled in DCS?

Edited by ashcanpete
  • Like 1

Slacker, thanks for the reply. A few questions:

1. Does the FF DIST setting just not do anything? I feel like it would be really easy to model different timer settings for the LUU-2B, maybe this could be easily changed in lua files? I know that this setting is normally changed on the ground by the crew but it seems similar to the LGB laser code situation, where they let you change it in the DSMS pages.

2. So do you mean to say that the M257 HOT setting works now? I wasn't able to input a value for this in the profile (it just kept saying CDU input error).

3. Is the 9000m ignition range true to real life for A-10 employment? I noticed that the document I linked to specifically references firing from a helicopter, so maybe A-10 crews use differently timed M257s set for longer range?

Edited by ashcanpete

• 7 years later...