Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

for anyone interested I was able to get my setup working for two monitors so I can flip between the A-10, F-18, Blackshark, and av-8 cockpits with helios. I use OvGME to organize my instruments files so they recognize the naming convention I use for the outputs. Note the Export script used is not compatible for both the AV8 and F18 so you need to load it using OvGME depending on which jet you want to fly. Is use a 1920x1200 monitor for DCS and a Dell P2418HT as my touch screen.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gunterlund, I'm playing around with doing something similar myself this evening. So far I've got the A-10, F-14, F-18, and UH-1 working more or less perfectly with one another but the AV-8B is giving me a little bit of a problem.

Were you able to properly export the UFC, ODU and UVHF for the Harrier? I've got the multi-function displays working perfectly and all of the switches in the cockpit operate just fine, but I'm not having any luck getting those three aformentioned devices to export. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

I tried to incorporate the F-15 as well but I ended up settling for a separate monitorconfig for that profile (and sadly I can't get the TEWS or the MPCD to work...just the VSD which I suppose is better than nothing).

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

Update: On a whim, I copied the contents of the Export.lua generated by BluFin's AV8B profile in Helio and then pasted it into the Export.lua CaptZeen provided and everything appears to be working perfectly.

I'm able to run profiles for the A-10, AV-8B, F-14, F-18, and UH-1H all from the same export file now.

I'm actually kind of shocked it worked. I tested every module rather quickly (about 2 minutes a piece) but at first glance, this appears to be an effective solution for those of who fly multiple aircraft.

Please feel free to correct me though as I may have broken something without even knowing it yet.

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

Stewmanji

I use BluFin's special F18 profile and the export file generated from his profile. This export file is not compatable with Capt Zeen's profiles and export file. Therefore, presently, I have to have two export files and have to go back and forth depending on which profile (Buefin's or CZ's) profiles that I am using.

So all you did was copy the contains of the AV88 export file into CZ's regular profile? If so, I may try it with the F18. Where did you paste it into Cz's export file?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hey Sobe,

Rgr in regards to your setup. For reference, I use CZ's export lua and all his associated helios profiles for the various jets.

Regarding your question, yes, all I did was copy the full contents of the AV8B "export.lua" that was generated by Helios in my "DCSWorld\Config\Export" folder and pasted it into CZ's "export.lua" file which I have in my "Saved Games\DCS\Scripts" folder.

I pasted the full contents of the AV8B export file directly below the contents of CZ's so my new file's first 12 rows look like this:

local lfs=require('lfs');

dofile(lfs.writedir()..'Scripts\\Helios\\HeliosExport.lua')

local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Tech\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

gHost = "127.0.0.1"

gPort = 9089

gExportInterval = 0.067

gExportLowTickInterval = 1

I had read multiple times that the two export files weren't compatible but I figured I'd just try it on a whim and so far it's working. That said, I could be proven horribly wrong shortly, hahaha.

Hopefully all of that makes sense.

It was a great idea, but no joy. Some stuff worked and some didn't. I suspect that there is a conflict between Blue's F18 profile export and CZ's F18 export file. When I have the time to play with this, my thought would be to delete the F18 lua file in CZ's export mod folder and see if that eliminates the issue. You don't have that issue as the AV-8B is not one of CZ's profiles so there would be no conflict.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Quick question for you guys - do you know how to get a screenshot that will capture DCS content and Helios overlays together? Tried a bunch of screenshot tools and apps and none can capture the Helios overlays.

Anyone know how to do this? A screenshot would be way better than a photo to show what a Helios profile looks like.

Talking about export files, now all my airplanes export are in the folder Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\helios\mods.

There are a file for each airplane.

You can modify those files to put your special export instructions for each airplane.

If you take a look to my Helios_Harrier.lua in that folder, you got an example using the bluefinbima export data for the AV8B.

So if you create a export file using helios, for a new interface for example the f18, you can then move the main functions to my mods folder, in his airplane file.

Look how it works on the harrier one!

hope thats help.

I just use the printscreen key, and it capture everything at the same time.

Quick question for you guys - do you know how to get a screenshot that will capture DCS content and Helios overlays together? Tried a bunch of screenshot tools and apps and none can capture the Helios overlays.

Anyone know how to do this? A screenshot would be way better than a photo to show what a Helios profile looks like.

Beautiful! Thank you so much for that info Capt Zeen!!

I don't think I fully understood how that mods folder with files for each aircraft was working exactly but now I totally get it. I moved the AV-8B info to the harrier file as suggested and everything works perfectly via one Export.lua. Wonderful!!!!

Double Pressing of Keys using ELO touch screen

i'm having an issue with double pressing of all Helios buttons with my ELO touch screen. For example in the A-10 if i use any of the numbers on the UFC it will display twice. This issue can also be seen when when using a MFD button(toggles on then off). When just clicking on the buttons with a mouse i do not get the issue.

I have also tested this using just calculator and the issue does not follow.

The issue also is found in both LOZ's and Capt Zeens A-10 profiles, but i'm not pointing the finger at the profiles - these are just the ones i've tested with

any suggestion?

i3dman, I haven't had this problem on my touchscreen so I'm just guessing here, but have you tried the following:

In the Helios Launcher select the "Prefs" button on the right side.

In the expanded panel that appears, select the option to "Suppress 2nd Trigger"

Hope that might help!

i3dman, I haven't had this problem on my touchscreen so I'm just guessing here, but have you tried the following:

Hope that might help!

Yes, I wrote this feature exactly to solve this problem, which I also have on my touchscreens. There is something funky going on where it delivers mouse events in addition to touch events. So you can adjust the slider (I use the default of 200ms) to make sure it only considers it one click. Just make the time long enough to cover how long you actually touch the screen.

I3dman:

If you google this, you will find a lot of talk about Windows configuration regarding touch screens and turning off double clicking etc. That isn't what I am seeing on mine, so you probably have the same issue and this feature should fix it. Let me know please and file a bug if it does not.

Hope that might help!

I did have to crank it all the way up ,but my double click issue is solved.

I'm guessing this is a new feature as i do not recall having this problem 6+ years ago.

Thanks to all that brought this back to life!!

Stewmanji

OK. I combined the export files for Bluefin and CZ for the F18 in the Helios>Mod file and it seems to work for Bluefin's stuff. The only issue is that Bluefin used the F18 for his interface and CZ used the A10 for his interface so none of the CZ profile works. But still a good solution as now I only have one export file for both Bluefin and CZ.

Yes, this is currently in a mess, since we (Helios) haven't done enough to create compatibility between the different ways of doing Exports. I am working on it. Soon it won't be an embarrassing mess any more :).

That's why I am not putting new files out there right now for people to hack into their CZ export or the other way around. I don't want to put out something that is about to be irrelevant again, when we all start playing nice automatically.

derammo

Thanks for the info. For now, I just use a mod manager to go between the two versions of the F18 lua in Helios>Mods. The two versions are CZ's F18 lua and the combined CZ and Bluefin F18 lua that I made. However, one export file can handle both.

Been getting back into Helios lately - old version for now - and having fun with it.

Made some radio frequency cards and some others to use with a KA-50 profile. Thought I'd post them here in case anyone else might like them. Handy stuff to have.

I made a combi-use triple screen layout. No fourth monitor so using 1/3 of each side screen plus centre screen for view and the other 2/3 of each side screen for viewports and Helios panels. Didn't like the stretched view out past 1/3 anyway so made use of the space with Helios. Works well if you have no fourth monitor.

Check it out here if you're interested: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259711

Need to get onto new Helios soon. Do old profiles from 1.3 work in 1.4? Haven't looked into it yet.

EDIT: Posted Excel spreadsheet with all four tower frequencies for every airport. Means you can make cards to your own preferences. If you don't have Excel, try Open Office, its free and works well.

TIP: I've discovered that if the image file is a bit more than 50% larger than the size it displays in Helios, it can lag a bit when you toggle it. Re-size it to match the size in Helios and it won't lag any more.

983461867_KA-50ADFChannels.thumb.jpg.450d5054523bfb31f98aa9efc74ca37e.jpg

1362941030_MorseCodeChart.jpg.19a711167e080b7bf69f587c2549f10b.jpg

Radio Frequencies.rar

15621181_CaucasusFreqFullList.jpg.d44668d217d5cf2d0e3bb7cd287b2ac5.jpg

662731102_NevadaFreqFullList.jpg.a488da398a2526a3b04f981532d0a00d.jpg

1650051104_NormandyFreqFullList.thumb.jpg.308e02d0fd7014b5f78aa9c888b0e7a3.jpg

289534691_PGFreqFullList.thumb.jpg.07ecdb0bf987c454135aac90421ef694.jpg

Edited by Hunter_5E
Added Excel spreadsheet

[cut]…

Need to get onto new Helios soon. Do old profiles from 1.3 work in 1.4? Haven't looked into it yet.

They should? If you have some profiles somewhere you are concerned about, make them available and I will take a look.

Edit: I don't know anything about 1.3 but I can easily check if any issues you see are bugs or just lack of backward compatibility in general if I run them on my dev setup.

Edited by derammo

They should? If you have some profiles somewhere you are concerned about, make them available and I will take a look.

Edit: I don't know anything about 1.3 but I can easily check if any issues you see are bugs or just lack of backward compatibility in general if I run them on my dev setup.

That's very kind of you to offer to test it for me. Much appreciated. Link to my profile is in my last post. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers