Dear ED! No love for KA-50?

Devrim

ED has historically overdelivered on every level with DCS. During Blackshark 1 I was looking forward to DCS going somewhere in the future, but I never imagined I'd be flying in VR with the terrain we're seeing now.. with CA, Normandy, a great ME, and the dozens of other mind blowing things they've done through the years. I have high expectations that we'll see some KA-50 love, and fragmentation physics, etc. I can't imagine how massive their code debt list is considering the high standards they hold along with the mind blowing complexity of this product. They're one of the better software companies where listening to the user base is concerned. The best thing we can do to contribute is write a bug report and be patient.. or if you're really passionate join the test team. It's a lot of hard work and time, but it's pretty rewarding to be part of what they do. I can tell you this; after being a tester you may be a lot more patient with the devs considering what they're able to achieve on a daily basis. I say this not argumentatively, but reflectively.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - They have acknowledged the lighting issue specifically in the KA-50 bug section and said it has been reported with "high priority".

None of us know what that means exactly, but... It may mean they'll re-do the cockpit. No sense arguing about it until we see what they do I reckon :).

Here's the link :) -

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201122

Thanks Combat.

Being in "high priority" is a great thing. At this step I'm curious about what ED will do. Because, if they just add only a few specular maps into current textures I'd really really be disappointed. :\

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

OK, since you clearly proved beyond any shadow of doubt how they just absolutely _have_ to put in work and not charge for it, how about saving your breath and not accuse others, since we're unable to disagree with such supreme logic anyway?

PS. Not willing to bet for them putting in any substantial work regardless, unless folks pay for it. But as proven by yourself already I'm stupid, whereas you seemingly are not ;)

PPS. And that's it from my part. Not my war anyway, one way or another.

I think everyone sees your point from an economic point of view. Yes, work isn't free.

But we're not talking about extra features here. The cockpit lighting not working in the Ka-50 is a bug.

It's not even a major bug, but one that is fundamental to flying the Ka-50 effectively. The module is slightly broken and it should be fixed. That's it.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I remember the when the KA was first announced, and brought out, and for me once I was in pit I was sold, I have always carried the opinion that DCS ( as it was and now) is run by people who care passionately not just about their products but also about the whole Flight sim ethos, and yes I am one of those who kind of smirk to my to myself knowing just how far DCS has taken us to this point,

I firmly believe that DCS will endeavour to do what is necessary to bring any of their products up to standard in a timely fashion and finally say I agree it does need some lipstick and a new set of Knickers, but if I add up all the time I have flown the KA, Id say that Lady is still worth every penny I spent on it.

• Like 1

Still my favourite module.

By far the most powerful helicopter in the game.

It can do everything the others can (exept troop transport) and does it far better.

I've convinced three of my friends to purchase it recently.

It is a part of DCS World and of course it should be on par with the rest of the modules.

And I am convinced it will.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

I also agree with the many opinions here: The KA-50 definitely deserves more attention! Of course, it's more fun to develop new modules. But it would speak for ED if they would also take care of the old stuff as well. Because in my opinion, this module offers a lot! Personally I can spend hours with it and discover new things again and again. At least a graphic adaptation to DCS version 2.5 would suit the module well. And then, possibly a few additional features (for example, the missile approach warning system, ...) would fit the module really good. It would be a great pity for the KA-50 if this module would gradually sink into insignificance!

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Ka-50 is scheduled to have the cockpit updated for the new graphics engine.

Now that's some good news! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yyyyyyyyyesssss!!!

Thanks a lot Sith.

Aaaaand, now...

Details?

Update... means? :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

:thumbup: :beer: :clap_2: :worthy:

After all these years.... *sniff*

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

I paid for Blackshark, then I paid for the upgrade, that required Blackshark to be installed so to save the hassle I bought Blackshark 2, that's 3 purchased from me, I would like to see a visual overhaul and even after paying three times I would pay 20 bucks for a proper update to keep everyone happy.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

I'm all for it, most of the Ka-50 is up to spec, not much to do - the FM is done and the systems are done. The only work is textures (minor issue) and maybe some 3D stuff with regards to damage modelling (again a very minor thing). If I have to pay for that fine so be it...

I don't consider it to be huge priority, personally graphically speaking I'd much rather have the current outdated aircraft updated to the same standard as everything else, then the current ground units upgraded to a high standard (and preferably at least FFBNW proper suspension animation blah blah blah; then the current naval units upgraded to high standard and then have the current weapons in need of updating. Then do BS2, because those low poly, barely texture, quasi- Il-2 1946 quality models and textures really need to go. (Though they are working on it, mind you the updated P-500 Bazalt model still isn't in DCS yet). Notice how I say current not new, when new stuff gets added (like the Merkava IV) yes I'm incredibly grateful, but I'd rather get everything up to the same standard first then add new stuff.

And I would be willing to pay for upgrades wherever so long as the price is reasonable.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I didn't get it. Sorry for my English.

What do you mean?

Oh, OK.

Well; It depends, actually.

"IF" ED will do complete new texturing job, I'm 100% sure, it will be a great work! So, I do think we will not need Ricardo's cockpit anymore. (I'm not talking about Ric's texturing abilities. He's great at it. I'm talking about the mod is obsolete for today's DCS engine.)

"BUT", if ED will just add a few textures into current ones to adapt the cockpit for new lighting system, that means we will not see a renewal in cockpit. It's just a fix. Then I'll try something to do and imitate what ED did for updating Ricardo's mod.

Whatever the consequences, Ka-50 will win anyway, I assume. :)

Edited by Devrim

Guys, I think there is a misunderstanding here, as I see many people pointing out that instruments lights are not working with Ka50 in 2.5.

Gauges light not working is the consequence, not the cause. It appears that the shaders/lighting of the sim are completely wrong in the Ka50. Don't know about other modules.

As I posted in another thread:

Yesterday we did a multiplayer flight using 2.5 and Ka-50. No one of my flight mates was able to see nothing in the cockpit. The mission was at night, when the daylight came it got slightly better (even though the shading was not correct at all) but during the night I was not able to distinguish the single switches, all was pitch black also using cockpit light and I wasn't able to ramp start.

Now I don't think it is a problem of instrument lighting as some reported.

It is a problem of cockpit lighting/shading, at higher /general video shading level, how to say.

All seems to be ugly, over-contrasted, such as if the curves and the black point of the shading was completely mistaken, and the sensation was to have a layer of haze in the cockpit, something I saw only when applying SweetFX shaders to a game and doing it completely wrong.

Will this be fixed? I hope so, because in the 1.5 the Ka50 using Ricardo texture was a piece of beauty.

I use Oculus and the cockpit lighting/shading is one of the reasons to go VR and use it with DCS, to start with.

Somone is experiencing the same? Hopefully ED is working on this otherwise I would say the Ka50 is unplayable.