IMPORTANT MiG-21bis StarForce PATCH - MARCH 2017

Dolphin887

Thanks Sporg. Great description.

I hope people read It

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then just read these two posts:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3097340&postcount=5

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3098365&postcount=138

The point is:

Magnitude needed to update the DRM protection, StarForce, in order to solve the problems people have had with it.

However, StarForce applies activation to the whole PC, not only the version you are working in.

That means, when you activate or deactivate in one version, you do it for all versions of DCS present on the PC.

Sadly that also means, that if Magnitude changes DRM in one version, it affects all versions.

When Magnitude want to update the DRM, they would like to send out updates for all versions in one go, to avoid the problems we see now.

However, they need to wait for ED to send out updates.

And ED only sends out updates for one version at a time.

Magnitude has no influence on this process.

So that is why we have the situation we have now:

Magnitude has to send out updates to the DRM one version at a time.

They have now sent out the update to the 1.5 Open Beta.

That means that the users have the following options:

1. Deactivate MiG-21, update 1.5 Open Beta, activate and use Mig-21 in this version only!
    (do not use MiG-21 in 1.5 release or 2.0 NTTR, deactivate it in Module Manager in both versions)
  2. Otherwise: Do not update 1.5 Open Beta.
    Keep using MiG-21 in 1.5 release and in 2.0 NTTR in its unpatched state.

We will get a similar situation with updates to 1.5 release and 2.0 NTTR, which will also be updated one at a time.

So, until all three versions are updated, you will have to choose whether to

1. update DCS version by version, not using MiG-21 in the unpatched versions.
  2. continue using unpatched MiG-21, blocking update patches to the other versions

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

IMO, Magnitude is trying to fix the problem, but it means we will have to live with a transition period until all three versions have been updated.

In the mean time I would recommend that both ED and Magnitude clarifies these issues better to the costumers, in release notes and also in the pdf document, so that people have a better chance of realizing what is going on.

What if people update without being aware of any of this? I now can't deactivate the MiG-21 because I've already installed the update to 1.5.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do what the PDF says in Page 8.

Thanks, that helped! The document layout is the issue - On page 1 - "It is important to make these steps BEFORE the next DCS patch is released/downloaded to your PC." The first few pages only discuss deactivating BEFORE the patch - it should clearly state ("see page 8 for users who have already installed the patch").

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use open beta and can join servers which are on stable version...

That will work, some of the time, because the Open Beta and Stable versions are often at the same version. The bottom line is that if the version numbers match you can join the server, if they don't, you can't.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This is why Im still on the "release" version and planning to stay there as long as possible. I might switch to 2.X when they ship Normandy, but that will depend on which servers are available on which version of DCS World. I've been harping on an on about this in the forums, but, really, 2.5 can't get here soon enough :)

Question: I will wan't to reinstall the Mig21 module, when this update hits "release" branch. Will I have to jump through hoops? I think the last time I flew the Mig21 was over a year ago, and I don't remember what I did exactly with DCS, but I think I completely uninstalled it when I took a break but did not deactivate any of the modules.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

OK. Now I understand why only my openbeta version of the Mig 21 now works. However, the PDF was not clear that your other versions of the Mig 21 will no longer work until they are updated with the new patch. A simple sentence in the PDF concerning this would have been nice.

The first post stated:

If you patch 1.5.6 openBeta first after doing the procedure, it is not required again for 2.0.5 openAlpha update.

If there is a 2.0.5 openAlpha update and you update that first ((doing the procedure) before updating 1.5.6 openBeta), then you do not have to do it for 1.5.6 openBeta.

The same as in 1.5.6 stable release. We will do our best to keep you informed in time.

Rightly or wrongly, I took this to mean "once was enough."

Edited by sobe
added quoted language

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I think the last time I flew the Mig21 was over a year ago, and I don't remember what I did exactly with DCS, but I think I completely uninstalled it when I took a break but did not deactivate any of the modules.

Since you having only Release version - which is very good from the point of maintenance - here is what would I do:

- I would try to install the MiG in release,

- once the DCS starts, I would instantly know if my previous activation is still OK,

- if it is OK, I would deactivate it (Module manager -> Installed modules -> MiG-21, then hit "DRM" and proceed).

- this would save me one activation.

- I would also disable the MiG in Module management, to avoid "Activation" dialog spamming.

- then I would clean the Leatherneck registry, and wait for the patch.

If my previous activation is not valid anymore, I would disable the MiG module, clean the registry and wait for the patch.

Once the MiG patch is in DCS Release, I would update DCS, then activate the MiG in Module management, activate StarForce and play.

Whole purpose of this patching is to spare you - the users - of 99.9% of possible StarForce troubles.

Transition is painful for all of us, but we had to do this at some point.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys!

I got the module working again by deleting the entries under leatherneck in regedit. But now I can't play it. If I choose a quick mission I just get to the f10 map. Its like the player aircraft does not spawn. Anyone having this issue?

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

Hi guys!

I got the module working again by deleting the entries under leatherneck in regedit. But now I can't play it. If I choose a quick mission I just get to the f10 map. Its like the player aircraft does not spawn. Anyone having this issue?

You have unfortunately just lost an activation life. You need to re activate the module again.

(Im not reactivating my mig21 for a few more weeks.)

This wouldnt have been a problem if ED had of sent out a the warning in the changelog.

This wouldnt have been a problem if ED had of sent out a the warning in the changelog.

ED does not have anything to do with this - we should have mentioned it in the changelog, it's our fault.

We put the information wherever we could: this forum (EN and RU), Facebook (2 sites) and Twitter. Unfortunately, our site was under re-construction, we could not make it there... Time was very short...

Our responsibility.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm afraid I, too, am having this issue, which also may be of my own making. For me it also involves movement to a new PC, so I made the mistake of thinking I'd be fine. I sent in an e-mail with the log as instructed, but thought I'd post it here as well in case this gets noticed first.

Thank you guys, as well, for your support! The MiG-21bis is one of my favorite modules for this sim.

From the deck of the 'Fighting I'

Since you having only Release version - which is very good from the point of maintenance - here is what would I do:

- I would try to install the MiG in release,

- once the DCS starts, I would instantly know if my previous activation is still OK,

- if it is OK, I would deactivate it (Module manager -> Installed modules -> MiG-21, then hit "DRM" and proceed).

- this would save me one activation.

- I would also disable the MiG in Module management, to avoid "Activation" dialog spamming.

- then I would clean the Leatherneck registry, and wait for the patch.

If my previous activation is not valid anymore, I would disable the MiG module, clean the registry and wait for the patch.

Once the MiG patch is in DCS Release, I would update DCS, then activate the MiG in Module management, activate StarForce and play.

Whole purpose of this patching is to spare you - the users - of 99.9% of possible StarForce troubles.

Transition is painful for all of us, but we had to do this at some point.

Thanks for the indepth reply! :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I'm mightily confused now.

I had no idea this was going on and carried out the last update on the release version leaving me with corrupt gfx on the Mig-21, but a reinstall of the files fixed that. Activation was not asked for.

V2.0 Is also fine and at the latest version.

I just had also updated the Beta, to see what was new, but only just started getting Mig-21 activation problems after I did a repair action - nothing before that.

I can't reactivate OR deactivate it at all in the Beta, and don't want to delete the registry keys, since they appear to cover all installs not just the beta.

Can someone please explain what happens to my beta mig-21 now?

Will it suddenly start working again when the next update happens?

Do I have to completely remove it?

How come we don't seem to get these problems with any other module? and am I wrong in thinking that users should not be required to hack the registry because they want to use a product. Not to say that I am not able to do this, but many users may not be quite so used to doing that sort of thing just to fly in a flight sim.

Edited by mkiii

Exactly.

The same with release 1.5.6.

Until ALL DCS versions are updated the Key System will not be fixed.

For now ONLY the OPEN BETA is fixed and is safe to deactivate-activate the Mig-21 on it. But doing so you are not going to be able to use it on 2.0 and release until patched.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I'm mightily confused now.

I had no idea this was going on and carried out the last update on the release version leaving me with corrupt gfx on the Mig-21, but a reinstall of the files fixed that. Activation was not asked for.

V2.0 Is also fine and at the latest version.

I just had also updated the Beta, to see what was new, but only just started getting Mig-21 activation problems after I did a repair action - nothing before that.

I can't reactivate OR deactivate it at all in the Beta, and don't want to delete the registry keys, since they appear to cover all installs not just the beta.

Can someone please explain what happens to my beta mig-21 now?

Will it suddenly start working again when the next update happens?

Do I have to completely remove it?

How come we don't seem to get these problems with any other module? and am I wrong in thinking that users should not be required to hack the registry because they want to use a product. Not to say that I am not able to do this, but many users may not be quite so used to doing that sort of thing just to fly in a flight sim.

1) Using the new beta

You should be able to deactivate it from the 2.0 or the release, since it's still the old version. If you do that, and then activate from the beta, you won't be able to fly the MiG in the 2.0 nor in the release anymore, until they're patched too (pretty soon from what they said). It's probably the easiest in your case.

If that doesn't work, it's not very hard to delete those keys in the registry, then activate from the beta.

2) Not using the new beta

You also have the option of reverting the beta to the penultimate version, fly the MiG in both beta and alpha until the alpha patch comes out.

Or simply leave it as it is now, and ignore the beta until all versions are patched (don't forget to deactivate before updating though!).

If you don't want to see the activate pop-up, in either version, disable the MiG from the module manager, it won't be uninstalled so you don't lose anything.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thanks RedGlyph... so whatever happens, it needs to be deactivated before the next patch.

That will make 6 reactivations for no other reason than this module has messed them up since I bought it, compared to zero problems with much older modules.

I can live with that, but I expect there will soon be a lot of confused and annoyed people who don't read the forum, and haven't got the message.

I can live with that, but I expect there will soon be a lot of confused and annoyed people who don't read the forum, and haven't got the message.

Well, that's the 23rd page of this thread ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thank you LN for your support.

I have a question though, is the stable update released yet?

When i launch dcs i always get my first launch notification and i dont know if

the game will update by itself.

Thank you.

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

THRUSTMASTER TFRP + T.Flight Hotas X / TrackIR 5

Activation failed

After today's patch for stable, beta and 2.0 Mig21 can not be activated in any of these as according to the error message my key is invalid.

Manually deactivated and tried to activate didn't help.

What can I do now?

If I would like to fly SFM I could get it for free at World of Warplanes.

You only need 2 of the following 3: Altitude - Speed - Skill

Clear registry - Delete activation data. ...and maybe repair dcs, then activate module

Done already. No effect.

If I would like to fly SFM I could get it for free at World of Warplanes.

You only need 2 of the following 3: Altitude - Speed - Skill