Pimax 5K+ review from a long time Rift user

hansangb

Yup, saw that a while back. I've never really had bad luck before, but this time, I guess I might have gotten bit. But I changed three things at once so who knows. I won't get to test it for a while though.

in terms of fps, how much did you lose by switching to pimax?

Before the FPS plummeted, I really didn't lose any FPS. With Rift, I had ASW turned on, so it was pretty much 45FPS locked. That's what ASW is supposed to do. Lock it at 45FPS if it's below 90FPS. (and not drop below 45, obviously).

When I get the 5K+, I saw anywhere from 40's to 55s. But Rift with ASW seemed more smooth to me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Before the FPS plummeted, I really didn't lose any FPS. With Rift, I had ASW turned on, so it was pretty much 45FPS locked. That's what ASW is supposed to do. Lock it at 45FPS if it's below 90FPS. (and not drop below 45, obviously).

When I get the 5K+, I saw anywhere from 40's to 55s. But Rift with ASW seemed more smooth to me.

What FOV seting were you using on the PIMAX? And unfortunately with the ASW on, you couldn't really tell how many frames the rift was capable of pulling to compare, you can turn it off with CTRL-numpad 1 if you want to do a head to head for us.

Also, would you say the resolution is significantly better than the rift or less SDE?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

There is this thing called Ebay…

:smilewink:

Yeah, but have you tried being a seller on Ebay? Its great for buyers...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That's intriguing. SDE is by far my biggest gripe with VR today!

Yeah, not to hijack the thread but several users have said its basically a non issue on the Oddesey+ unless you actively look for it.

I'm somewhat curious on SDE and Pimax.

Dis you test it with the brainwarp on?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Yeah, but have you tried being a seller on Ebay? Its great for buyers...

Agreed. Plus they’re selling for peanuts now. I’ll keep mine as a backup.

Anyhow, 5K+ early backer, arrived last week. Just received my lighthouse and got setup in 6dof now. I can now fly the Huey and see the co-pilot whilst looking straight ahead. Quite amazing I have to say. I have mine set to normal FOV as there’s an issue with the current pitool with wide setting.

Can’t wait for the imminent release of the latest pitool. Should make a big difference performance wise.

Clarity is soo much better too.

Edited by slipstream21

Yeah, not to hijack the thread but several users have said its basically a non issue on the Oddesey+ unless you actively look for it.

I'm somewhat curious on SDE and Pimax.

I haven't got my headset yet, but by all accounts SDE is greatly minimized in the 5k+.

Here's a DCS specific screenshot:

azCSxT6.jpg

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

What FOV seting were you using on the PIMAX? And unfortunately with the ASW on, you couldn't really tell how many frames the rift was capable of pulling to compare, you can turn it off with CTRL-numpad 1 if you want to do a head to head for us.

Also, would you say the resolution is significantly better than the rift or less SDE?

I was using Normal. As for above 45 FPS on Rift, for me, I didn't really care. 90FPS was achievable when the sim started, etc, but in most missions, it was 45. So I didn't care about 55 or 60 or 70. 45 was very smooth for me.

But i can rerun the test, just not for another 10 days or so.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Dis you test it with the brainwarp on?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I'm trying to remember. I don't believe so because that was available in the beta that they pulled. But I won't be able to check for another 10 days or so.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

The wider FOV seems to be a step in the right direction. With my Rift and Vive Pro I always feel like a man who had stroke and suffered peripheral visual loss since glancing around to the sides would result in seeing black bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The wider FOV seems to be a step in the right direction. With my Rift and Vive Pro I always feel like a man who had stroke and suffered peripheral visual loss since glancing around to the sides would result in seeing black bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just described me.

:smilewink:

Actually in my case having a narrow fov in VR makes me feel I can see at least a little more normal.

Trust me the two are nothing alike.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|