No save game function frustrating for busy DCS fans

Hi all,

Has anyone ever read if ED are going to implement a save game function for campaigns and missions? I got to NTTR red flag mission 7 but since having kids its just too hard to get a solid block of time to sit down for for 2 to 3 hours and fly a mission. Between family life and work its just too hard to find the time to fly a mission from start to finish. I have several aircraft modules and campaigns but i dont bother even starting a campaign mission anymore since i know i wont have enough time to commit in one sitting to complete it thus losing all progress. This now means there is no real point in me buying campaigns anymore for the foreseeable future.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Would be nice function. This function could possibly enable the dynamic system. Like start on airport and save on next one, and start from there with last A/C state . fuel / weapons / failure. Finally a proper sandbox.

Hope something with this come with dynamic campaign. Actually this function would enable semi-dynamic mission at least.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

It can't, because track files/object states etc. don't interact with the triggers. Also, .trk are just recordings of your control inputs so the whole file has to run in order to reach the same point (and indeed with the element of randomness to countermeasure susceptibility there's no guarantee the same thing will happen twice. But tracks are a whole other conversation...)

Hypothetically, let's say your mission involves attacking an enemy base. When the enemy base is attacked, a late activated flight of fighters scrambles. On the way home, you are tasked with destroying a convoy. You complete the airfield attack and destroy the enemy fighters, but have to exit before engaging the convoy.

Since there is no way to automatically remove triggers from the mission once they activate, the entire trigger set is reinitialized when you load the new .miz; this is the biggest obstacle with a saved game as DCS is written now, and would lead to some wacky behavior in the example above:

The damage at the airfield persists. All units there are destroyed.

The late activated group is triggered based on destroyed objects. Since they do not exist until spawned, a save state will not catch that these units were destroyed as they don't technically exist at mission start. Since the airbase objects are still destroyed, the bandits re-activate and scramble immediately on mission start.

You will receive overlapping messages about damage states etc., the convoy being sighted, etc. because all prior trigger conditions will be met immediately when the mission starts.

If there were triggers that happened as you left the carrier they'd happen as you RTB'd instead, etc. etc.

It would likely require a huge effort to implement some sort of meaningful function of this type into the sim. As a person with a 9-month old baby myself, I do truly empathize, but I wouldn't count on this making it in any time soon unfortunately.

Same here, agree completely. About time a save function is implemented.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I fully agree that a save feature is pretty necessary in DCS, missions can be over an hour long (my personal record is over 2 hours in one of the Ka-50 campaign missions) and things can happen - malfunctions, bugs, mistakes... Plus you don't always have an hour or two to spare.

feefifofum makes a good point about the trigger system, but trigger state is saved in RAM, so DCS could could access that for its saves and store it on hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree. I pretty much stopped playing any campaigns or missions but Through the inferno because the missions take forever and something always comes up. So I can only really play a quick online game or a sand box style game like Through the Inferno.

• 2 weeks later...

Same situation here. About 1 hour playtime when my daughter is asleep, if I'm lucky. Only small missions or a lot of ctrl-z...

Savegame option would be fantastic

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 months later...

Same situation here..two kids, when they fall asleep, i a looking at 2200... Just dont have time to fly 1+ hour mission..Also i dont know if other have problem, but saving track record just doesnt work...When i replay track, plane just fly his own agenda

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• 2 weeks later...

This would be excellent. Like many others, having 2-3 hours in one stint is a luxury! My life with children is spent in twenty minute slots!

Processor : Intel Core i7 7800X (3.8 - 4.2 GHz) . Motherboard : ASUS TUF X299 . Memory : 16Gb DDR4 1333 . Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super (+100 CC +700 MC) . Install : DCS on 500Gb SSD . Screen : 3440 x 1440 display with GSYNC . Control : TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro Pedals, Naturalpoint Track-IR . Software : VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro, DCS BIOS

Even having time as I do this function is overdue.

99% of the simulations and games out there have it.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

No kids here yet but very limited time availability as well due to work and girlfriend. It is understandable that some missions need to be that long because realism. But, devs need to find a way to create a save function or a jump to a certain point ahead in time or something close to that.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p