ssd is not enough space,Can I install channel map on other hard drive in my computer?

You can go into your DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains folder and move one or more of the big folders somewhere else and then do this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=239909&stc=1&d=1592227628

Where in my picture example, "F:\DCS Maps" would be the folder I'd move Normandy to prior to entering that line

mklink /j [link] [target]

which creates a junction. Basically you make Windows think it's still there, but with the junction then pointing to its actual location. You could do the same with completely other things as well if you like, for example move other games or sims off there to free up some space. I've always moved things off my SSD to an HDD like that without breaking them - they just load up slower of couse.

dcs-maps-junction.jpg.91dcb4a2e1d44f9039afcc45b6e8fa12.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My dcs is installed on the ssd but there is not enough space. Can I install the newly purchased channel map on other harddisk drives in the computer?

Buy another SSD if you can, and keep one for system and another for games.

You can do sim-linking as above, but you're gonna get horrific load times moving from SSD to a HDD.

You can go into your DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains folder and move one or more of the big folders somewhere else and then do this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=239909&stc=1&d=1592227628

Where in my picture example, "F:\DCS Maps" would be the folder I'd move Normandy to prior to entering that line

mklink /j [link] [target]

which creates a junction. Basically you make Windows think it's still there, but with the junction then pointing to its actual location. You could do the same with completely other things as well if you like, for example move other games or sims off there to free up some space. I've always moved things off my SSD to an HDD like that without breaking them - they just load up slower of couse.

Now there's an example of someone who has used flight sims with satellite imagery before :lol::D

*Simlinks all spare hard drives to one folder*

The fun thing is that I've ran that other sim off of a RAMdisk with that method (some robocopy work as well in a cmd to get it there and another one to put it back), well - until it grew bigger and bigger icon_redface.gif

DCS never was small enough for that to begin with... rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Is it possible to use the mklink /d command?

No .. that creates just a directory link .. you need a junction link .. stick with /j

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Is it possible to use a command like this: mklink /j "C:\dcs\mod\normandy" "D:\dcs\mod\normandy"?

Yes, but normandy should not exist on c:\dcs\mod ... in other words, first move it to D: and only then create the link.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

So stupid question, if you "j link" your maps to different folders, then run a command line update (I never do gui), does the "j link" keep track of that or will you have to download the entire map to the actual directory then move it again?

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

So stupid question, if you "j link" your maps to different folders, then run a command line update (I never do gui), does the "j link" keep track of that or will you have to download the entire map to the actual directory then move it again?

The link is permanent, and dcs_updater works perfectly with them.

The only thing that doesn’t work is if you do a backup using windows tools .. it will backup the link but not its remote content.

Found a tool that integrates into the Explorer context menu which does this, probably much easier for many:

https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

With that you'd basically just move the big folders somewhere else, and drag them back to the original folder with your right mouse button, then select Drop Here..., Junction.

Thank you .. looks like a Really nice utility, with no ads or spyware .. if one likes it, it ask for any donations. :thumbup: ... it does a lot more than just create hardlinks :smartass:

• 6 months later...

Move terrain from main DCS install directory, ex. I want to move PG from  disk "C" to "D". Using mklink /j command.

Locate PG in "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf" cut & move the whole folder to "D".

Open CMD >As Admin. Type: cd C:\   (press)>Enter

Type, beware of spaces they must be there:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf" "D:\PersianGulf"  >Enter

Now PG is installed in "D" & will be updated there. DCS still "thinks" it's in it's main DCS install directory.

To remove mklink /j or move back PG to "C":

Open CMD >As Admin. Type: cd C:\   (press)>Enter

Type:

rmdir "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf"

Manually move back PG to ""C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf"

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.