Laser rockets

mtd2811

What is "fi_search"?

It's going to be a long (short!) evening... :D

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is "fi_search"?

It's going to be a long (short!) evening... :D

Last SD-10 change fi_search and excort we’re both 1.05, then excort got changed making me think excort is beam width and search gimbal limits, but now I have no idea

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

So they actually changed the BRM1? Happy days if they are finally not beam riding and hit targets. :thumbup:

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

Well, since Deka dont post weapon changes in Changelogs anymore, I am not sure how positive this change is. I don't have time to play this game today. I will check them sometime this week.

How good is their damage? Other rockers are pretty weak and if this change makes them into proper DCS rockets, the damage might have been affected.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Well, since Deka dont post weapon changes in Changelogs anymore, I am not sure how positive this change is. I don't have time to play this game today. I will check them sometime this week.

How good is their damage? Other rockers are pretty weak and if this change makes them into proper DCS rockets, the damage might have been affected.

When I flew earlier today, they were damaging MBT but not killing them, and I was hitting them with two at a time. I was killing them after 2 or 3 hits, and some time. I had a lot of misses though due to the hit box problem.

Actually hitting the target was the hard part as it kept landing long (Abrahms). Against non-armored trucks they worked great.

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

When I flew earlier today, they were damaging MBT but not killing them, and I was hitting them with two at a time. I was killing them after 2 or 3 hits, and some time. I had a lot of misses though due to the hit box problem.

Actually hitting the target was the hard part as it kept landing long (Abrahms). Against non-armored trucks they worked great.

3 Hits on Abrams sounds about correct. I suppose the damage did not change then.

What is going on with the hit boxes? I never had problem hitting targets with Mavs or Vikhrs before. Is this something that is happening only with BRM or DCS in general?

I want to be excited for this change but with all the changes happening without communication, I dont know if the performance will change yet again in another patch.

3 Hits on Abrams sounds about correct. I suppose the damage did not change then.

OK!

What is going on with the hit boxes? I never had problem hitting targets with Mavs or Vikhrs before. Is this something that is happening only with BRM or DCS in general?

It's something specific to JF-17. Being in the cockpit specifically. causes the BRMs to fly wide/miss.

If you go to F6 (weapon view), they track as they should.

The hit-box problem is a vehicle issue (confirmed) so it is just a matter of figuring out which units have the problem.

I want to be excited for this change but with all the changes happening without communication, I dont know if the performance will change yet again in another patch.

Yet to try it in this build.

Personally I think 3 hits to kill a MBT is completely reasonable. I am very pleased the SD-10 got it battery life back and now the rockets now the more correct guidance. Haven’t tried yet for myself tho.

currently weapon fm cannot be finalized and still under tuning, since ED keeps adding new AFM schemes and also updating existing ones. Once we think the weapon fm can be finalized, then we will say.

we didn't know there's an hotfix today until a few hours before the release. All the changes you noticed in this hotfix were planned for Jul 15 release. Any way, now it's out, and you can help us for the test.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Modern MBTs are stil OHK from the rear and 1-2 on average from the sides. Very reasonable, considering a blown track or dead engine essentially renders the thing useless IRL. And those spots are generally less armored than the front.

The one which is not finalized and not planned for release(should be the same as I tested), has following characteristic:

1.Guidance changed to SALH (FM switch back to SFM, so it basically has a 100% hit ratio, since the FM is simplified, if a better AFM scheme is presented, this will be changed)

2.Drag lower than expected, so it has much longer range than it should.(Expecting the range to be shortened in later patch)

3.Damage power is still under tuned.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

Wow. If damage power is UNDER performing, this thing will be devastating.

The one which is not finalized and not planned for release(should be the same as I tested), has following characteristic:

1.Guidance changed to SALH (FM switch back to SFM, so it basically has a 100% hit ratio, since the FM is simplified, if a better AFM scheme is presented, this will be changed)

2.Drag lower than expected, so it has much longer range than it should.(Expecting the range to be shortened in later patch)

3.Damage power is still under tuned.

What is the rough percentage you are planned for these rockets to hit their target at in the future. You don’t have to be specific but I would like to adjust expectation for future.

I am also guessing the range will be below 5nm and above 4nm like you were saying before.

What is the rough percentage you are planned for these rockets to hit their target at in the future. You don’t have to be specific but I would like to adjust expectation for future.

I am also guessing the range will be below 5nm and above 4nm like you were saying before.

Before the patch I was testing these in Active Pause to simulate what these would be like if they were SALH and had the AFM/Spinning Rocket oscillation.

In my testing @ a range of 4.8nm, 300kts release, 6000 ft high only 1 out of 9 BRMs missed hitting the 8 BTR-80s I set up.

They were actually quite accurate, since all they had to do was fly directly down to the target.

They weren't constantly trying to place themselves between the target and myself since I was stationary; that is ultimately what made them suck before.

The Vikhr scheme over-exaggerated the AFM oscillation, which is supposed to be there, just not at the magnitude we were experiencing it at.

Before the patch I was testing these in Active Pause to simulate what these would be like if they were SALH and had the AFM/Spinning Rocket oscillation.

In my testing @ a range of 4.8nm, 300kts release, 6000 ft high only 1 out of 9 BRMs missed hitting the 8 BTR-80s I set up.

They were actually quite accurate, since all they had to do was fly directly down to the target.

They weren't constantly trying to place themselves between the target and myself since I was stationary; that is ultimately what made them suck before.

The Vikhr scheme over-exaggerated the AFM oscillation, which is supposed to be there, just not at the magnitude we were experiencing it at.

Thanks for testing. I was worried since ED has been so critical of JF-17 capabilities lately and Deka remaining quiet or sometimes saying that they wont work on weapons anymore.

I genuinly thought this plane was doomed if left on EDs hands alone. I will wait for the next OB patch to see what Deka really intended these rockets to behave like.

It sure sounds like this plane is becoming capable again.

Yeah they didn’t take over all weapons yet, they just plan that to happen eventually. For SD-10 they sent the numbers to Deka as recommendations, so I don’t think any weapons will be getting abandoned. The BRM is the one case where there is no API for true behavior, so it should change again, but who knows when. I’m sure the missile team kept the old LUA for when they can spin again

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I excepting the weapon the behave correctly when it should, the SFM does not quite care about the AOA of the weapon, so it can keep level flight from M0.8-M0.6 for quite a long time with nearly 0 AOA, as long as the life time is not timed up and laser is on, it can hit the target. Speed just matters how fast it hit the target, does not affect the attitude of the weapon, so it get odded in some case. In fact it can easily hit a target at 7.5NM.

So very long range shots can be expected to be tuned in later patch.

Edited by foxwxl

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

I excepting the weapon the behave correctly when it should, the SFM does not quite care about the AOA of the weapon, so it can keep level flight from M0.8-M0.6 for quite a long time with nearly 0 AOA, as long as the life time is not timed up and laser is on, it can hit the target. Speed just matters how fast it hit the target, does not affect the attitude of the weapon, so it get odded in some case. In fact it can easily hit a target at 7.5NM.

So very long range shots can be expected to be tuned in later patch.

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Hopefully you guys will find a good balance between range and accuracy.

I agree, 7.5nm range is too far for rockets. I have no problem with making them as real as possible. As long as it does not result in a mess we had before this patch.

Looking forward to flying this plane after next patch.

• 4 weeks later...

Good lord... really?

I can't get the BRM's to come off the rail. Oh except for one flight... naturally, they took off for some other location. Had it all set to 1688. This thing used to be fun. What the heck happened?

• 2 weeks later...