Navigation Tutorial Mission Issue

Johnny Dioxin

When instructed to tune to 489kHz and listen for the ADF signal "A V", the relevant signal cannot be received.

The signal that is received on 489kHz is a "T" and the radio nav needle points to around 270° - which is not the correct direction for the AV beacon, either.

Confirmed by a 3rd party, but not affecting everyone.

When setting up an identical scenario using the mission editor, the "AV" beacon can be tuned to, and received at 489kHz normally.

This in the current stable version of DCS World 1.5.7

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Update:

I've now attempted this tutorial mission multiple times over a couple of days and it's the same every time. I was recording the mission for other purposes, so here's a clip of the part where this error occurs:

https://youtu.be/jhfFzs68FO0

After this, I attempted to continue with the mission, by taking off and following the instructions as much as possible, but the beacon could still not be received when airborne, so it was not possible to continue any further.

Note: I searched the entire band through, several times, but AV could not be received anywhere, though other beacons could be received.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• ED Team

It's not a bug. Let's try to tune receiver slowly and listen stations between air noise:

from lower to higher frequencies: TI (477 kHz) -> KH (485) -> AV (489) -> LD (493)

from higher to lower backward: LD -> T (490) -> KH -> TI

Because of difference between AV (489 kHz) and T (490) is only 1 kHz, you can't hear air noise when tune.

Try ti tune more precisely and you can separate these two stations.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

The problem there is that I'm using the lowest amount of movement per mousewheel click as I can - so the only way to tune more precisely is to use the keyboard - which is not ideal for VR, but thanks to the nose gap I can give it a try.

Kneeboard Guides

OK, I tried tuning from lower freqs up as sugested and indeed, got the right signal that way. What confused me previously is the fact that kneeboard page (which I used to make absolutely sure that frequency is correct) is not precise enough and "489" as reported there, apparently covers two separate signals.

Brix, are you sure you can't get better precision out of your mouse? I use the cheapest MS mouse in the market (the Optical 100 model) and the scroll wheel "clicky-ness" is just barely enough to catch the Sukhumi NDB going from lower freqs up. Yours should be too.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Probably - my mouse is very adjustable - but I think you are right. The kneeboard shows the correct frequency and this is going to confuse people.

I actually use the wheel on my X-56 throttle as a mousewheel in VR, but I did try my actual mouse as well.

Also, others may not be able to adjust the sensitivity of their mousewheels.

It's fine if we come across solutions for ourselves, but I think it could do with a broader solution, for those many who don't come here looking for answers.

Even if that solution is just to add something to the mission description to say that a high res mousewheel or the keyboard may be required to tune it. I know editing tutorials is not easy or quick - and a last resort, so a quick edit of the mission description may be the best way. Or if not, maybe in the manual.

It's not up to me, of course, but I think it was right to bring it to the attention of the devs.

Kneeboard Guides

Ha! I would remake the mission using two other airbases, with two more distinctive NDB frequencies :D.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Actually, I think you're right. The kneepad shows 488kHz when tuned to the beacon that is supposed to be on 489kHz.

In addition, the mission is a real pain in VR - I actually ditched it just after calling Babushara. In order to be able to tune the radio to AV, you have to use the mouse, which means you have to select mouse control in the VR options, which in turn means you have to use the mouse for all other adjustments during the flight (instead of the HOTAS assigned UI controls made for VR pilots).

As there is no autopilot, this means losing control of the aircraft whilst you are fiddling with the mouse and not holding the stick.

I used active pause repeatedly - but it just ruins the experience as it's totally impractical to pause every time you have to set something.

Kneeboard Guides

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I wanted to add my 2 cents about that. I will perhaps labor the point, but here is what I understood about this "bug" which is not a bug:

I was wondering WHY it was impossible for me to hear this morse code. I finally set the ADF to 490khz, thinking it was normal to only heard, one "bip" (a dash). Obviously I get lost and failed the training mission.

Then I read this very useful topic ! And I saw it was possibly an issue with the sensibility of my mouse. It seemed I had to be iiiiiincredibly precise to tune this thing up and find the precious morse code (.- ...-)...

So I tried. And totally failed. With keyboard, mouse, and even by telepathy, it didn't work, and it was not about sensibility...

Then I tried to create a new mission, just to see if it was a bug specific to the training mission ! It's not^^ In fact, the same thing happened, the 289khz frequency and its morse code are just IMPOSSIBLE to join from this airport !

And why that ? Because the STUPID beacon sit next to the starting-airport is the 490khz one ! (the "T", dash in morsecode). That's why it indicates 270°: the beacon is at the end of the runway, at 90° to your starting point...

So, and I think this game is incredibly realistic, you are just TOO CLOSE to this huge source of interference (489 and 490 are so similar!), that it's just impossible to receive the 289Khz frequency :doh:

And a nice thing to do is this : set your ADF to 489khz, like asked by the training mission. There will be statics, it's perfect (lower the volume to not become deaf :P). Then take-off, go in the general direction of your destination airfield (Sukhumi ?) and then... MIRACLE ! The statics suddendly stops, and you hear the divine sound of the desired morse-code ("AV").

Is there something to do ? It's not really a bug, but the mission have to be updated, to take this into account :/

Thx for reading my bad english and my capital letters :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know. I have failed this training mission a few times now and just gave up.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth