Upgrade and reinstall - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Batman

Default Upgrade and reinstall

Hi guys, sorry for the annoying question but I'm about to upgrade from Win 7 to 10 and just need to run something past you regarding steam and my games installed.

The list I have currently (or my important ones I should say) are:
DCS modules: F-14, F/A-18, F-5, Mig-21, Nevada, F-16, Mirage 2000, UH-1H, Persian Gulf (and not related but Arma 3)

Is it simply a matter or reinstalling everything from zero and hey presto, back to normal or is it a bit more tricky than that (I'm going to install a new hard drive so new install of windows)? I read (but can't find anywhere) something about a .exe to be activated before removing a module.

Also very important, can I change the location of the famous "downloading" folder that DCS creates when updates or new modules come out?

Thanks in advance.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
David OC

I'm guessing you could just use the steam backup if you have a spare drive. You can jusr download it all if you want to? Also backup your save games folder.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8794-yphv-2033

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #3
Batman

Thank you very much, will look into it.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
VpR81

If it is only for steam, you don't need to do anything. Steam (and all the games in your libary) does not need a reinstallation. I haven't reinstalled steam for like 7 or 8 years, but have updated from win 7 to win 10 in the meantime and have several times copied my steam install to a new SSD. Everything is running fine to this day. Steam will just do a new registrty entry and will run as always after you set up your new OS.
VpR81 is offline   Reply With Quote